Neoprene Sleeve

johnnyg08
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2244 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Up here in Canada, our national baseball body came out with its clarification in 2017

3.03 (b) and (e) All players, including pitchers, are permitted to wear compression sleeves on one or both arms. If only wearing one, it may be worn on either the pitching or glove arm.  A compression sleeve extending only to the elbow shall have the same restrictions as a compression sleeve extending to the wrist.  Pitchers must wear compression sleeves which are solid in colour and may not be white or grey. Pitchers may not wear compression sleeves which are distracting in nature including designs and reflective material.

On 1/27/2018 at 10:46 PM, Elmhurstbob said:

If a pitcher tries entering the game with only one neoprene sleeve, he has a choice.  Take it off, or put on long sleeves to cover it.  Wearing only one neoprene sleeve makes the sleeves different lengths, violating the rule.

That is wrong.. you cant have just one sleeve on.. either 2 or none.

29 minutes ago, Haid D' Salaami said:

That is wrong.. you cant have just one sleeve on.. either 2 or none.

isn't that what @Elmhurstbob said the rule was? Or are you saying you have to wear two neoprene sleeves of equal lengths, not one covered by an equal length undershirt sleeve and another equal length sleeve of the same, hopefully, undershirt on the other arm? And is @johnnyg08 saying he has proof of the this rule being ignored at the D1 level. But, what if the one sleeve is not neoprene but a hi tech compression fabric?

On 1/29/2018 at 11:15 PM, Jimurray said:

isn't that what @Elmhurstbob said the rule was? Or are you saying you have to wear two neoprene sleeves of equal lengths, not one covered by an equal length undershirt sleeve and another equal length sleeve of the same, hopefully, undershirt on the other arm? And is @johnnyg08 saying he has proof of the this rule being ignored at the D1 level. But, what if the one sleeve is not neoprene but a hi tech compression fabric?

fyi.. I only work D1 baseball ( im not trying to brag, just stating it)  I enforce on every field... SEC...CUSA...CAA..Big South..any field i walk on. that way when the coordinator calls me and ask why i didnt enforce the rule, i have no come back. enforce like it says.. Just like FPSR. get every single one, even the small ones where they just miss the base. alot of our games are on tv, and I cant explain the ruling when TV clearly shows it.

I think people are making this too complicated.

1. A pitcher's neoprene sleeves must be covered by an undershirt.

2. Any undershirt must have sleeves approximately the same length.

Therefore, if there's an undershirt with same-length sleeves, and no sleeve visible underneath them, he is good to go. He can wear zero, one, or two neoprene sleeves.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

1. A pitcher's neoprene sleeves must be covered by an undershirt.

2. Any undershirt must have sleeves approximately the same length.

Therefore, if there's an undershirt with same-length sleeves, and no sleeve visible underneath them, he is good to go. He can wear zero, one, or two neoprene sleeves.

Why can't rules be written like this? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I know this is the collegiate forum, but NFHS has the same rule of individual players having sleeves of the same length...Just scrolling through our state's website and found this beauty. Isn't this in DIRECT conflict with NFHS rules?!?48d58467ef45ff61eeb52d1b39327640.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, txump81 said:

I know this is the collegiate forum, but NFHS has the same rule of individual players having sleeves of the same length...Just scrolling through our state's website and found this beauty. Isn't this in DIRECT conflict with NFHS rules?!?48d58467ef45ff61eeb52d1b39327640.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

You should scroll thru and read the NFHS caseplays and interps about this to realize that Texas has it right in this case. But they do have something about butting up against the rubber (totally unrelated to this post but just saying that not all State interps are correct) on their website that might or might not be correct.