Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
jwclubbie

Wilson Shin Guard Comparison

I am looking at purchasing a pair of Wilson Shin Guards. Can anyone tell me if the Gold vs Platinum Measurements are the same, or does one run "longer" than the other. My measurement is 17-17.5, so I am trying to buy the appropriate size.

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

You are talking about good options. But the best option out there are the Force3 shin guards. Get the 16.5", if you can find it, and you will be set.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, gnhbua93 said:

You are talking about good options. But the best option out there are the Force3 shin guards. Get the 16.5", if you can find it, and you will be set.

Have to agree with this comment.

Yep, I’ve got the 17.5 inch black Wilson Gold SG with triple knees and lower leg side wings. They are heavy, the knee covers shift and although they are very protective they don’t hold a candle to my F3 18.5 inch SG. No comparison. F3 hands down. Side plastic pressure-release clips instead of the metal hooks that rust on the Wilson.  Lighter, more padded. Removable inner padding that Velcro’s to the main SG. Very good ankle protection. Work well with low cut plate shoes. Can’t go wrong with F3. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, jwclubbie said:

I am looking at purchasing a pair of Wilson Shin Guards. Can anyone tell me if the Gold vs Platinum Measurements are the same, or does one run "longer" than the other. My measurement is 17-17.5, so I am trying to buy the appropriate size.

I like how nobody actually addresses the OP and jumps on the F3 train. The Wilson Gold shin guards are a triple knee, while the platinums are double knee. The measurement from ankle to kneecap should be the same, the gold will just have one more cap above your knee than the platinums. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, Stk004 said:

I like how nobody actually addresses the OP and jumps on the F3 train. The Wilson Gold shin guards are a triple knee, while the platinums are double knee. The measurement from ankle to kneecap should be the same, the gold will just have one more cap above your knee than the platinums. 

You must not yet be on the F3 Train. I think all of us who offered advice wish we’d had that advice or had F3 shinguards available to us before we spent the bucks to buy the Wilson. IF you’ve tried both it’s pretty damn hard to even consider wearing the Wilson over the F3. We are all trying to help a brotha out, Just sayin......

2 minutes ago, Majordave said:

You must not yet be on the F3 Train. I think all of us who offered advice wish we’d had that advice or had F3 shinguards available to us before we spent the bucks to buy the Wilson. IF you’ve tried both it’s pretty damn hard to even consider wearing the Wilson over the F3. We are all trying to help a brotha out, Just sayin......

I'm with you Majordave, I use the F3 shins myself. But if someone asks about Wilson shins, they should get at least one answer about Wilson shins. 

• Like 2

I use the platinum. I had the triple knee gold and wore them once and gave someone a great deal on here. The strap for the triple knee cut into my leg and I hated it.  Plus I've never been hit above the second one . Knock on wood....

19 hours ago, celt62 said:

I use the platinum. I had the triple knee gold and wore them once and gave someone a great deal on here. The strap for the triple knee cut into my leg and I hated it.  Plus I've never been hit above the second one . Knock on wood....

Now we all know where you will take the first one this year.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On January 23, 2018 at 8:01 AM, jwclubbie said:

The sizes are the same from the standpoint of where they are supposed to fit from the bottom of the shin guard to where your knee is supposed to sit.

Reading between the lines of your being a 17-175, you will get more mileage out of the Gold 17" given it's physicaly longer. However, for the platinum if you are in between sizes, I might recommend going up to the 185 larger size there given there is not as much space up top (especially if you wear low cut plate shoes).

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JimKirk said:

The sizes are the same from the standpoint of where they are supposed to fit from the bottom of the shin guard to where your knee is supposed to sit.

Reading between the lines of your being a 17-175, you will get more mileage out of the Gold 17" given it's physicaly longer. However, for the platinum if you are in between sizes, I might recommend going up to the 185 larger size there given there is not as much space up top (especially if you wear low cut plate shoes).

Hope that helps.

Jim thanks a lot for the input. I will take your recommendation and give it a shot. I appreciate the detailed information! 

On January 24, 2018 at 8:32 PM, jwclubbie said:

Jim thanks a lot for the input. I will take your recommendation and give it a shot. I appreciate the detailed information! 

You are most welcome. Please let me know what works out.

• Like 1

I hate to do it again, but I have to say this. I bought a set of F3's based solely on reading this thread. I have a set of Honigs that my supervisor gave me when I started and since then, I've owned and used both the Wilson Golds and Platinums. I worked my first plate game with the F3's last night and guys, I won't go back. These things are incredible. Seriously. The others are good, but these things are a step above as far as comfort goes, and they look and feel just as safe as either of my Wilsons or the Honigs, though I confess I haven't taken a shot to them yet.

Just throwing that out there for the sake of history. :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WilsonFlyer said:

I hate to do it again, but I have to say this. I bought a set of F3's based solely on reading this thread. I have a set of Honigs that my supervisor gave me when I started and since then, I've owned and used both the Wilson Golds and Platinums. I worked my first plate game with the F3's last night and guys, I won't go back. These things are incredible. Seriously. The others are good, but these things are a step above as far as comfort goes, and they look and feel just as safe as either of my Wilsons or the Honigs, though I confess I haven't taken a shot to them yet.

Just throwing that out there for the sake of history. :)

One of my favorite thing is that you can take the inside out and wash it. Big plus when working the 90+ degree summer games. 

• Thanks 1