Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

Seeking info and feedback regarding the few questions I got wrong. Read below.

1. A force is reinstated when a runner retreats past the base to which he was forced to advance. T or F I marked False due to a runner who passes a base needing to be tagged upon returning. Unless I am misinterpreting the question. Correct answer is TRUE

2. No outs, R3 on third and R1 on first. R1 attempts to steal second. B4 interferes with F2, but F2's throw gets R1 out. During the play at second, R3 scores. B4's interference is ignored and R3 scores. T or F. I put false due to the interference from my understanding runners return back their base start of pitch. Correct answer is TRUE. What if R1 gets caught in a rundown because hes thrown out by a mile? Kill it if first attempt is not successful?

3. A coach physically assisting a runner during playing action is interference. T or F. I put TRUE and apparently its false.

Any feedback is welcome.

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
11 minutes ago, Jglopez7 said:

Seeking info and feedback regarding the few questions I got wrong. Read below.

1. A force is reinstated when a runner retreats past the base to which he was forced to advance. T or F I marked False due to a runner who passes a base needing to be tagged upon returning. Unless I am misinterpreting the question. Correct answer is TRUE

2. No outs, R3 on third and R1 on first. R1 attempts to steal second. B4 interferes with F2, but F2's throw gets R1 out. During the play at second, R3 scores. B4's interference is ignored and R3 scores. T or F. I put false due to the interference from my understanding runners return back their base start of pitch. Correct answer is TRUE. What if R1 gets caught in a rundown because hes thrown out by a mile? Kill it if first attempt is not successful?

3. A coach physically assisting a runner during playing action is interference. T or F. I put TRUE and apparently its false.

Any feedback is welcome.

1. It appears you overthought the question.

2. It appears you overthought the question. If the INITIAL throw retires the runner the INT is ignored.

3. True would be the correct answer to your statement but we would have to see the exact wording on your test. Which is available to you to copy and paste from the check your results page.

I copy and pasted all questions. I believe I might have overthought them as well.

5 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

1. It appears you overthought the question.

2. It appears you overthought the question. If the INITIAL throw retires the runner the INT is ignored.

3. True would be the correct answer to your statement but we would have to see the exact wording on your test. Which is available to you to copy and paste from the check your results page.

14 minutes ago, Jglopez7 said:

I copy and pasted all questions. I believe I might have overthought them as well.

in #3 maybe they want to emphasize that the call and out is made immediately and the ball stays alive and it is not actually included in the Interference defintion. I call it coach interference from some OBR reference but maybe that is inaccurate. 

14 hours ago, Jimurray said:

in #3 maybe they want to emphasize that the call and out is made immediately and the ball stays alive and it is not actually included in the Interference defintion. I call it coach interference from some OBR reference but maybe that is inaccurate. 

This *IS* listed under interference in the definitions section of the rules (at least it was in 2016 -- my last year of books).

On the first question -- I think, based on his comments in the OP,  jlopez did not properly read it -- the runner has retreated back past the base (so,  R1 is forced, touches second, goes beyond second, retreats to second, retreats toward first) -- the force is reinstated.

Otherwise, he learned something from the first two questions -- and that's part of the purpose of the test.

1 hour ago, noumpere said:

This *IS* listed under interference in the definitions section of the rules (at least it was in 2016 -- my last year of books).

On the first question -- I think, based on his comments in the OP,  jlopez did not properly read it -- the runner has retreated back past the base (so,  R1 is forced, touches second, goes beyond second, retreats to second, retreats toward first) -- the force is reinstated.

Otherwise, he learned something from the first two questions -- and that's part of the purpose of the test.

"c. Coach physically assists ......." has dissappeared from the definitions of INT in the 2018 rulebook without fanfare, probably for the rationale I supposed. So he and I learned something from #3 also after a bit of digging.

NFHS 2017 Baseball Rules Changes

The rules committee also approved an addition to Rule 8-4-2, which states that any runner is out when he is physically assisted by a coach. This rule change supports a revision in Rule 3-2-2 Penalty, which states that the runner shall be called out immediately when he is physically assisted by a coach.

SITUATION 14: With runners on second and third, and a fly ball is hit deep to right field, the third-base coach grabs the third base runner’s shirt to force him to tag properly. The runner from second base legally tags as the ball is caught. Both runners, during the course of the play, score. RULING: The runner at third base is called out immediately when the coach physically assisted him in tagging properly. Play continues and the run scored by the second-base runner will count. (3-2-2 Penalty, 8-4-2s)

SITUATION 15: With runners on first and third, a ball is hit to center field. The coach physically holds the runner up at third base until he sees that the fly ball is not caught. The runner from first base is later thrown out as he attempted to advance to third base. RULING: The runner at third base is immediately called out when the third-base coach physically prevented him from advancing until he knew if the fly ball was caught. Play continues and the first-base runner’s out at third base stands. (3-2-2 Penalty, 8-4-2s)

1 hour ago, Senor Azul said:

NFHS 2017 Baseball Rules Changes

The rules committee also approved an addition to Rule 8-4-2, which states that any runner is out when he is physically assisted by a coach. This rule change supports a revision in Rule 3-2-2 Penalty, which states that the runner shall be called out immediately when he is physically assisted by a coach.

SITUATION 14: With runners on second and third, and a fly ball is hit deep to right field, the third-base coach grabs the third base runner’s shirt to force him to tag properly. The runner from second base legally tags as the ball is caught. Both runners, during the course of the play, score. RULING: The runner at third base is called out immediately when the coach physically assisted him in tagging properly. Play continues and the run scored by the second-base runner will count. (3-2-2 Penalty, 8-4-2s)

SITUATION 15: With runners on first and third, a ball is hit to center field. The coach physically holds the runner up at third base until he sees that the fly ball is not caught. The runner from first base is later thrown out as he attempted to advance to third base. RULING: The runner at third base is immediately called out when the third-base coach physically prevented him from advancing until he knew if the fly ball was caught. Play continues and the first-base runner’s out at third base stands. (3-2-2 Penalty, 8-4-2s)

Prior to 2017 the ball was delayed dead and runners returned TOI if not put out. But most of us would call the out at the time of the assistance. In 2017 they clarified that the out would be called immediately and ball left live but they neglected to remove 2-21-1-c and revise the DDB Table. In 2018 they cleaned up the DDB Table and dissappeared 2-21-1-c. Interestingly, NCAA does not call the out until the end of playing action, so you might have a "to be retired" R3 played on at HP on a tag up depending on whether involved fielders saw the umpire point the infraction.

So if it's not "INT" what do we call? "PAR" (physically assisting runner) :mad: