Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Guest Blue22

NFHS Intentional Walk

Question

Guest Blue22

On the Intentional Walk for 2018 season, would the proper thing be to call time to kill the ball . Then award the batter first base?

Rational 

If you just  award the  batter first and keep the ball live then the other runners would be free to try and advance.  I have not seen a 2018 rule book yet so just want to get ahead of the game.

Thanks

Blue22

11 answers to this question

5 minutes ago, Guest Blue22 said:

On the Intentional Walk for 2018 season, would the proper thing be to call time to kill the ball . Then award the batter first base?

Rational 

If you just  award the  batter first and keep the ball live then the other runners would be free to try and advance.  I have not seen a 2018 rule book yet so just want to get ahead of the game.

Thanks

Blue22

Did something change from last year?

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking, so I'll just rehearse the procedure. When the defense (a player or coach) indicates that they wish to grant the batter an IBB, call time, award the base, and prepare to resume play.

3 minutes ago, maven said:

When the defense (a player or coach) indicates that they wish to grant the batter an IBB, call time, award the base, and prepare to resume play.

Just curious - any player?   Does pitcher outrank catcher?  If pitcher/catcher ask for IBB, and ump awards it...then coach says "wait a minute, I didn't ask for an IBB" does it get revoked?  In MLB it's the Manager only, isn't it?

35 minutes ago, beerguy55 said:

Just curious - any player?   Does pitcher outrank catcher?  If pitcher/catcher ask for IBB, and ump awards it...then coach says "wait a minute, I didn't ask for an IBB" does it get revoked?  In MLB it's the Manager only, isn't it?

Good question! I don't know that I ever saw clarification of that last year for NHFS.

37 minutes ago, beerguy55 said:

NFHS Rule 2-4-3: "An intentional base on balls may be given by the defensive team by having its catcher or coach request the umpire to award the batter first base. This may be done before pitching to the batter or on any ball and strike count. The ball shall be declared dead before making the award."

If a pitcher asks for a walk, I'll ask the catcher if he wants it. If the coach or catcher says they want it, no take-backsies. (EDIT: Well, unless he says so before I tell the batter to take first.)

35 minutes ago, kylehutson said:

NFHS Rule 2-4-3: "An intentional base on balls may be given by the defensive team by having its catcher or coach request the umpire to award the batter first base. This may be done before pitching to the batter or on any ball and strike count. The ball shall be declared dead before making the award."

If a pitcher asks for a walk, I'll ask the catcher if he wants it. If the coach or catcher says they want it, no take-backsies. (EDIT: Well, unless he says so before I tell the batter to take first.)

At the high school level, when a catcher (who is the only player allowed to make a request for an IBB) asks to "put him on," I always glance over to the head coach and confirm with the head coach.  I do it as a courtesy.  You are certainly NOT required to do so if F2 makes the request, but I do it because at this level F2 is a kid (which means he makes dumb mistakes).  So, I always try to confirm with the head coach.  If the head coach isn't paying attention, then I say to myself "screw it" and I put the kid on.

To me, this is a form of "preventative umpiring".

• Like 3

Guest Blue22

Thanks to all who replied . I didn't mention this was for NFHS Softball . I know in baseball you have a dead ball , just wanted to confirm it would be the  same in softball.

Again thanks for the help.

OK. I've learned here not to assume anything. 

When is the ball properly put back in play? When the BR has safely reached first and all advancement has stopped? What if he overuns? What if he turns towards 2nd and takes off after clearing first?

I'm assuming we have all runners on their bags, pitcher has the ball, and we put the ball in play? Correct?

23 minutes ago, WilsonFlyer said:

When is the ball properly put back in play?

Same as with any timeout.. foul ball, beginning of a game, etc. 

In softball, it is the coach, pitcher or catcher that can ask...definition 2-65-2 and rule 8-1c.

15 hours ago, lawump said:

At the high school level, when a catcher (who is the only player allowed to make a request for an IBB) asks to "put him on," I always glance over to the head coach and confirm with the head coach.

Agreed.  And, 99% of the time, the request comes from the coach anyway.  Catcher's aren't smart enough to know when to do this, or dumb enough to ask without getting the coach's approval.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.