Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Kirk

Two Batter Interference ?'s

Question

Guest Kirk

I saw this video and it got me thinking about some things and how it would be called under Fed rules:

1. even though the batter was clearly out of the batter's box in this video, what would the call be (again under Fed rules) if the batter had stayed in the batter's box? could we bang the batter out anyway for failing to vacate the congested area?

2. The announcers began talking about the fact that the batter has to be completely outside the batter's box (I assume with both feet)  to be "considered" outside the box in this situation. Is this correct under Fed?

Thanks for helping

10 answers to this question

Considering that the B had become a BR when he hit what I would have ruled to be a catchable, fly ball by F2, whom is now immediately ordained with protective fielder status:        

1.  I would rule interference (NFHS 2-21-1, 8-1-1-a-1, et. al.).

2.  No.  And, avoid believing to "facts" declared by announcers, coaches, players, fans and most politicians.    

On a lesser note, the BR "should" be moving in the general direction of 1B when he hit the ball that had neither yet been ruled fair nor foul.  He wasn't.    

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
6 hours ago, Guest Kirk said:

The announcers began talking about the fact that the batter has to be completely outside the batter's box (I assume with both feet)  to be "considered" outside the box in this situation.

Never, ever, believe an announcer when they start talking about rules

32 minutes ago, Richvee said:

Never, ever, believe an announcer when they start talking about rules

ESPECIALLY.............if it's Joe Buck

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cav said:

On a lesser note, the BR "should" be moving in the general direction of 1B when he hit the ball that had neither yet been ruled fair nor foul.  He wasn't.    

I don't think that's a "lesser note" at all -- it precisely why this is INT.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, noumpere said:

I don't think that's a "lesser note" at all -- it [is] precisely why this is INT.

So noted, and without getting all semantical, one could argue (most likely to happen in my games) that there is no restriction on just where the BR is allowed to run up until he is ruled out.    

2 hours ago, Cav said:

So noted, and without getting all semantical, one could argue (most likely to happen in my games) that there is no restriction on just where the BR is allowed to run up until he is ruled out.

Actually, the BR can be doing exactly what he is supposed to be doing, i.e. running the bases as opposed to watching the ball, but if he interferes with the protected fielder he will be out. 

In this case if he would have simply run the bases he would have avoided interference.

16 hours ago, Guest Kirk said:

I saw this video and it got me thinking about some things and how it would be called under Fed rules:

I don't see a pertinent difference between codes. This is runner INT with a protected fielder, correctly called and enforced. There should be no difference for FED.

But you asked how it would be called under FED. The primary difference in a FED game is the likelihood that an umpire will screw up the call or enforcement.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Umpire in Chief said:

Great video for a future Good Call Blue Video :)

Just make sure to mute it...Or add you're voice-over to it!

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this