Odd colored shirts

65corvair
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2243 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

2 years ago I started acquiring any shirt color I could find. Brown, green, gold, orange and even purple. Of course I have the traditional blues, reds etc. my question or issue is when I contact my parter and ask what color he has? He replies both.......

i understand school and legion have requirements but that's enough blue already. Can we get some colors going.....it does confuse a few coaches to with an odd color, there not sure what to call you.

Im curious if anyone is using golf shirts yet?

Why do the pants have to be grey? Why not black?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Ah, @65corvair, I see you're one of Paul's (TOC) best customers.

The greatest challenge to variety (in umpire shirt colors) comes along two fronts. The first is a very valid perspective – we, as umpires, should be as inconspicuous as possible. Our mechanics, our vocalizations, our conduct and mannerisms, and our uniforms should remain standard and unembellished. And I like I said, it's a sound, logical, agreeable reason.

The second one is more complex, but just boils down to stubborn-ness and laziness. State and local associations stubbornly hide behind the codified laziness of the NFHS Rulebook, which states that barring state or association directives, the umpire(s) shall wear a navy blue shirt. Guarded by this, there exists a type of guy who will vehemently refuse to buy anything new or updated. This even goes beyond frugal.

As new officials are added to the ranks year-by-year, each governing or association body encounters the same conflict between the latest generation(s) and the entrenched vanguard – the "we want to dress for success, and wear modern styles the NFL/NBA/MLB/MLS employs" movement versus the "the uniform has been in place for 10 15 20 30 years, why change, just to look like those flashy guys on TV the pros?" codgers crowd. It would be fascinating to see what would happen if a major manufacturer like, say, Smitty was to discontinue production of all the "traditional" styles, across all sports (football, basketball, soccer, and baseball), and even offer the latest style at an extremely attractive price. I'm certain someone, somewhere would raise high hell. You know what's tragic? When you have that guy in the group who wears a navy (I'll be fair, "traditional" 2-stripe in powder, navy, etc.) shirt so old and faded, it's coming apart at the seams. It finally gives up the ghost, or his assigner says, "Clarence, why don't you get yourself a new shirt? This one has seen better games," while his fellow umpires are all around him in the common area or locker room, wearing their new 2010's and 2016's -style shirts in black or sky blue, and he shuffles off only to come back next weekend... with the exact same style shirt as the one that expired.

Heard of this happening? I've witnessed it!

With that said, I have the 2016 Panel shirts in Black and Sky Blue; the 2010 Single-stripe shirts in Black (2), Sky Blue (2), Bermuda Blue, Grey, Cream, Maroon, Black (with Pink trim), Olive Drab Green, Pink (for that lone Cancer Awareness Game, as I wear it in memorial of someone), and Navy (with red trim) and Red (with navy trim); a fairly new, "trial" style I call "Roughneck" (since it has a black collar) in Grey and White; the Camo style shirts (one of our Umpire Directors here in PHX really likes 'em) in Black Camo and Sky Camo (no, I will not get Woodland); and last-but-not-least, the Traditional Dual-stripe shirts in Black and Powder / Baby blue (yup, the ol' softball one... just in case).

Yes, Corvair, it's only a matter of time before golf shirts and baseball umpire shirts will look near-identical. Back in 2015, we saw Majestic release a plain, all-black polo shirt that could easily fit in golf, tennis, or casual attire. Of course, it was cut longer so as to be tucked in over plate gear. Why'd they do this? Well, they wanted to introduce their newly revised, smooth CoolBase fabric, but they couldn't settle on a new design to put it into – the Panel -style shirts were still on the drawing board. So, they produced it in plain Black and... <ugh, groan> traditional Navy so as to get the (primarily State) associations to take an interest in what they were developing. Why the sudden concern? Why are umpire shirts going to get a radical shake up very soon, and will look more and more like golf shirts? Because UnderArmour is looming ever-closer on the horizon.

@tpatience has it right on the pants. PU's pants would look revolting after just a few innings, given all the chalk, dust and dirt that goes airborne. And we'd still have the "shade variety" problem (fight, sometimes) because not every manufacturer would make "true black". Then you throw in fading due to sun, fading due to improper laundering, and lo-and-behold, we're right back to grey'ish / black'ish pants again...

... and guys unable or refusing to buy new pants.

55 minutes ago, MadMax said:

The greatest challenge to variety (in umpire shirt colors) comes along two fronts. The first is a very valid perspective – we, as umpires, should be as inconspicuous as possible. Our mechanics, our vocalizations, our conduct and mannerisms, and our uniforms should remain standard and unembellished. And I like I said, it's a sound, logical, agreeable reason.

The second one is more complex, but just boils down to stubborn-ness and laziness. State and local associations stubbornly hide behind the codified laziness of the NFHS Rulebook, which states that barring state or association directives, the umpire(s) shall wear a navy blue shirt. Guarded by this, there exists a type of guy who will vehemently refuse to buy anything new or updated. This even goes beyond frugal.

As new officials are added to the ranks year-by-year, each governing or association body encounters the same conflict between the latest generation(s) and the entrenched vanguard – the "we want to dress for success, and wear modern styles the NFL/NBA/MLB/MLS employs" movement versus the "the uniform has been in place for 10 15 20 30 years, why change, just to look like those flashy guys on TV the pros?" codgers crowd. It would be fascinating to see what would happen if a major manufacturer like, say, Smitty was to discontinue production of all the "traditional" styles, across all sports (football, basketball, soccer, and baseball), and even offer the latest style at an extremely attractive price. I'm certain someone, somewhere would raise high hell. You know what's tragic? When you have that guy in the group who wears a navy (I'll be fair, "traditional" 2-stripe in powder, navy, etc.) shirt so old and faded, it's coming apart at the seams. It finally gives up the ghost, or his assigner says, "Clarence, why don't you get yourself a new shirt? This one has seen better games," while his fellow umpires are all around him in the common area or locker room, wearing their new 2010's and 2016's -style shirts in black or sky blue, and he shuffles off only to come back next weekend... with the exact same style shirt as the one that expired.

With that said, I have the 2016 Panel shirts in Black and Sky Blue; the 2010 Single-stripe shirts in Black (2), Sky Blue (2), Bermuda Blue, Grey, Cream, Maroon, Black (with Pink trim), Olive Drab Green, Pink (for that lone Cancer Awareness Game, as I wear it in memorial of someone), and Navy (with red trim) and Red (with navy trim); a fairly new, "trial" style I call "Roughneck" (since it has a black collar) in Grey and White; the Camo style shirts (one of our Umpire Directors here in PHX really likes 'em) in Black Camo and Sky Camo (no, I will not get Woodland); and last-but-not-least, the Traditional Dual-stripe shirts in Black and Powder / Baby blue (yup, the ol' softball one... just in case).

Yes, Corvair, it's only a matter of time before golf shirts and baseball umpire shirts will look near-identical. Back in 2015, we saw Majestic release a plain, all-black polo shirt that could easily fit in golf, tennis, or casual attire. Of course, it was cut longer so as to be tucked in over plate gear. Why'd they do this? Well, they wanted to introduce their newly revised, smooth CoolBase fabric, but they couldn't settle on a new design to put it into – the Panel -style shirts were still on the drawing board. So, they produced it in plain Black and... <ugh, groan> traditional Navy so as to get the (primarily State) associations to take an interest in what they were developing. Why the sudden concern? Why are umpire shirts going to get a radical shake up very soon, and will look more and more like golf shirts? Because UnderArmour is looming ever-closer on the horizon.

@tpatience has it right on the pants. PU's pants would look revolting after just a few innings, given all the chalk, dust and dirt that goes airborne. And we'd still have the "shade variety" problem (fight, sometimes) because not every manufacturer would make "true black". Then you throw in fading due to sun, fading due to improper laundering, and lo-and-behold, we're right back to grey'ish / black'ish pants again...

• Haha 2

I forgot how lame everyone was in the 80s and loved the 80s.

i guess I'm just not a traditionalist type of umpire or person for that matter. I totally agree with being the official of the game and not some side show or try to draw attention to me or my partner.

Most of time I have more fun than the players out there. 2 or 3 years ago I realized that most of the games that I work, the majority of the teams wear blue. I used to referee hockey, you wear zebra stripes and black pants. No mistaking the official from player but in baseball wearing a navy blue shirt with navy blue offense and defense wearing navy blue....I've  had the ball tossed at me for a steal at second. 

When I have the plate, (plate picks the color depending on the game) I wait to see what the teams are wearing to be something different from the players on the field.

a teal shirt though is not in my collection.......

• Like 1

Well, we now (finally) have golf pants, so why not golf shirts?

I have some odd ball colors, but I always buy two, in case my partner is not as odd as I am.

Color of the day, like Corvair states, factors in team colors.

I don't typically have any overlords to bow down to, so it's usually my choice of colors.

Observation: I'm not sure why this is, but most amateur umpires need a shirt that's "slimming". Garish colors and patterns aren't doing you fellas any favors, sorry to say. Oh, and that repellant (IMO) camo shirt isn't hiding you on the field. Quite the opposite, I'm afraid.

I'm hoping for two things in the coming years. Under Armour provides new MLB shirts, with a classic look and advanced technology. And, Gerry Davis creates a new, unique uniform for Little League umpires.

And this, guys, bowlers wouldn't wear this one...

MLBReplica_4_2017_TwoTone_BlackGray.JPG

19 hours ago, MadMax said:

I love the plain black Majestics.  Extremely comfortable shirts.  Can't stand umpires who won't get rid of their old shirts.  It's not other people's fault you can't move into the modern world.  Had a partner who hated pleated umpire pants.  Also refused to admit he had put on some weight over the years and his shirts were so tight you didn't want to be close to him when a button came off his shirt for fear you'd lose an eye.  I'm 59 and refuse to live in the 1970's.  Change with the times or get left behind.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, 65corvair said:

I forgot how lame everyone was in the 80s and loved the 80s.

i guess I'm just not a traditionalist type of umpire or person for that matter. I totally agree with being the official of the game and not some side show or try to draw attention to me or my partner.

Most of time I have more fun than the players out there. 2 or 3 years ago I realized that most of the games that I work, the majority of the teams wear blue. I used to referee hockey, you wear zebra stripes and black pants. No mistaking the official from player but in baseball wearing a navy blue shirt with navy blue offense and defense wearing navy blue....I've  had the ball tossed at me for a steal at second. 

When I have the plate, (plate picks the color depending on the game) I wait to see what the teams are wearing to be something different from the players on the field.

a teal shirt though is not in my collection.......

Finally, the first functional rationalization I have heard for carrying more than navy shirts. Not that I’m going to start any time soon.  There 2 or 3 guys I work with that would wear something other than navy. I have worn olive and grey when my partner provided them. Just not that interested in variety.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 11:47 PM, tpatience said:

Gray not black because the black shows too much dirt. On the shirts, I had all the weird colored shirts from TOC. But none of my partners ever had them so I sold all but my Bermuda blue, which a good amount of people in my area have. 

I'm new here and was following the conversation about shirts.  I ordered a Stars and Stripes shirt from TOC and it took almost a whole month to receive it.  Do you know if they're shirts are custom made, or do they keep them in stock.  Was just wondering why it took so long to get it, because I'd love to have some other colors they carry.

I think it just gets out of hand, when MLB changes a collar, a panel, a button, and everyone HAS to rush out and buy it, “because that’s what the Big Dogs wear”. So now, you’ve got to go out and buy that new shirt, because you won’t match what the other guys wear.  Eventually, the back of your truck starts to look like a Goodwill Store.

Think; how many styles of powder blue are there, now? It’s starting to sound like a racket; MLB Umpires don’t have to pay for the new stuff; we do. When they change, it’s not a big deal for them; for us, it’s another shot to the credit card. Somebody’s making out on this, and it isn’t us.

IMHO, It doesn’t matter what color we wear; personally, I told my crew’ “you guys can wear jockstraps and feathers, as long as you look alike”. I’m with another association now, and will have to adjust; I just hope they like the old stuff.

For you guys with 31 shirts, 8 CP’s, 5 masks and 4 sets of plate brushes, hey, Vaya Con Dios, have at it. But I’ve got a WV Gold, A Diamond Mask and a set of Wilson Shins about 30 years old that work just fine. I’m done with keeping up with Laz. Thanks. Thus endith the rant……

I've slowly gone the other way, reducing my colors to just a few. Here, this is a summer/travel issue only - school season uses the prescribed Navy shirt with state logo, no discretion. I used to have a few colors, not quite the rainbow that some guys have but a decent variety. The last few years, I've winnowed it down quite a bit. All I've got now is black collar polo blue, standard powder blue (my least favorite color), old style black, cream, and the recently added MLB black with grey panels (which I've worn off the diamond as well). No blank navy, no burnt orange, no camo of any type, nothing. And certainly not the red bowling shirt!

Ohio only uses Navy for school.  Then, I have the light blue, black and red for summer ball.  I thought about maybe getting cream, but that's it. 

I'd get other colors, but most umps around here don't have a large color variety.  I'm okay with that as it gets expensive.

On 2/23/2018 at 5:23 AM, conbo61 said:

Oh heck, let's just go all in...

MF-game.jpg

Ump.jpg

My father grew up in a small farm town in Missouri, Salem, and they used to have town teams play other teams in fields like this where the local fans actually would could on the playing field and scream obscenities at the umpires.  He said like right next to the umpire.