Online Clinic

Umpire in Chief
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2257 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Can I just tell you how much of a fan I am of the NCAA clinic moving to an online event vs in person...

It is long overdue. What I looked forward to the most out of the clinics was socializing with you. Over the years between Philadelphia and Baltimore I've met dozens of you there. Plus hanging out with the guys I go up with has been a blast. 

This is a smart move for the NCAA and I for one am appreciative. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, LineyNinja said:

It is my first year as an NCAA umpire. Is the online clinic mandatory? from my understanding, it looks like it is only if you want to be postseason eligible.

It depends on who you work for. I would say that given the minimal effort it takes, not doing it will speak far more to your motivation than doing it, and assignors at this level pay attention. So while it may not be "mandatory," it is.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Matt said:

It depends on who you work for. I would say that given the minimal effort it takes, not doing it will speak far more to your motivation than doing it, and assignors at this level pay attention.

@Matt Most of the games will be at the NAIA level I would assume, however, I am a CBUA member. Would I select D3 as that is what the NAIA Level I would be working? Appreciate your help!

Just now, LineyNinja said:

@Matt Most of the games will be at the NAIA level I would assume, however, I am a CBUA member. Would I select D3 as that is what the NAIA Level I would be working? Appreciate your help!

You can safely assume that none of the assignors under the CBUA umbrella would look fondly on not completing this, so good choice in moving forward.

Since this is your first year, that would be a safe assumption. I don't know if each tab has a different version of the clinic.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Umpire in Chief said:

@LineyNinja definitely register and attend. You will learn a lot. Many of my groups require you to attend the training to work at the collegiate level period. 

Sounds good, is there a certain division meeting I should attend, or do I do all of them?

Alot of people have had this issue today.  When your in eligibility tab do the system requirements check.  If you are running a browser that brain shark doesn't like or an older version on adobe then you will have issues.  This has fixed the problem for everyone that I've talked with today.  I hope this helps.  Also, the NAIA has its own arbiter that most NAIA conference require for registration and passing both the NCAA and NAIA tests.  Just an FYI.

19 hours ago, Umpire in Chief said:

Can I just tell you how much of a fan I am of the NCAA clinic moving to an online event vs in person...

I had been pushing for that (at least as an option) for many years.  It's about time.  During the in-person meetings, they crammed about 30 minutes worth of information into an 8 hour day.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, noumpere said:

I had been pushing for that (at least as an option) for many years.  It's about time.  During the in-person meetings, they crammed about 30 minutes worth of information into an 8 hour day.

On top of of that managing 800ish people in one room was a nearly impossible task.

23 hours ago, Jimurray said:

In Mechanics, Timing slide 35 the second speaker mentions watching the ball into the glove at 1B. I read the throw and then watch the bag, then coming back to the glove for secure posesssion. Is watching the ball into the glove an alternate method?

Yes.. if your timing was/is good, you shouldnt be calling him out till the F3 pulls the ball out ( voluntary release)..