Cold Weather hoods

Richvee
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2266 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

You should be able to tuck either into a mock neck.  The Manzella is heavier duty, thicker fabric and maybe not  as conducive to tucking from a comfort level around your neck.  The McDavid is lighter weight, silkier fabric and more form fitted where the Manzella is looser in fit.  If you want warmth go with the Manzella, if dealing with milder temps the McDavid should do the trick.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jjb said:

Look for firefighter hoods on-line. They're designed for cold, wet weather, long enough to fit tuck under anything, and they also come in black. I was never cold in them.

I second this, but they do stretch out over time. On another note: they also work really well in really hot places too!

I've had mine for years, and they only stretch when you pull it back over your head like a neck warmer. They're nomex and used by the fire service for cold and wet protection. Never wore the Manzella or McDavids, but I swear by mine. (I used it today to clear snow).

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 4:35 PM, UADirOps said:

Out of curiosity what are they constructed from?  I'm only familiar with the thin Nomex type, great protection from heat not so much from cold.

There are different models for nomex hoods. I am a Firefighter in the Northeast, so we are issued a couple of different styles. I have a thinner one for warm weather and a thicker one for winter.

Back when they first came out, they had a cotton blend.