Thigh Protection

65corvair
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2293 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Underarmour makes football girdles with pockets for pads. Some models have built in hex pad like material. Nike does as well. Some with pads built in. Some with pockets for pads you choose the level of protection. When I coached high school football and first started umpiring and was working mostly JV and Freahman or middle school games I learned thigh protection was a necessity.  I raided our equipment room and wore a football girdle with football thigh pads. Lifesaver but still doesn’t stop everything. 

Try Underarmour.com or google is your friend.  Also eBay has a whole bunch of the football McDavid hexpads in various models and one pair of the umpire/catcher model in size Large asking $90 or best offer  good luck  

I think it’s time to revive my plans for an umpire full body hard shell suit like the Star Wars stormtrooper suits. Might even draw in some new younger umpires who would dig the cool suit versus the baggy gray pants and golf shirts. Maybe. 

• Thanks 1

There is no one who has spent more time talking about and researching thigh protection for umpires with customers and suppliers than me.

Of all items where there is a true need, this has been the hardest problem to solve over the last 5-6 years.

Indeed, we have a whole shelf with samples of items that have thigh protection made for hockey, for football, for catcher's and even martial arts plus protypes made from companies who attempted to make an umpire thigh protection prototype at our urging with some type of hex pad technology.

Here is what you'll find as I did:

-No inner thigh protection where umpires need it most.

-Additional protection where it's not needed such a outer thighs, hips and tail bone.

-Padding too soft to make much of a difference.

-Padding too hard to be wearable.

The only company who really understood what we wanted and made it happen was Force3.

Now the reviews are mixed. Most have loved them, but some have been disappointed. You can read them here:

https://www.ump-attire.com/Baseball-Umpire-Equipment/Clothing-Apparel/Under-Apparel/F3-TIGHTS_Force3-Umpire-Tights-with-Kevlar-Thigh-Protection

If there is something in particular you'd prefer out of the Force3 - compression fit, shorts version, more/less padding covetsge, etc, I'd be happy to share for a later potential version.

For now, my research and work on this is that @bluejersey and the many that use the Force3 tights have found this is the BEST alternative currenty available. If there is something that some one discovers otherwise, do share.

• Like 3

I have removed the front thigh pads from my old hockey pants and fit them under my compression pants. I started doing this after getting a nasty bruise on my inner thigh. I can't believe that all of us umps are either not using any thigh pads, use the force 3 or have the old hex pads. 

My old hockey days as a center, defenseman and goalie have trained me on how to stand in front and not flinch when hit but the pads are far more superior and trusting. 

• Like 2

I have a pair of the McDavid's that I converted to shorts.  I usually only wear them with the little fellas in little league (9/10) as the player between you and the pitcher is more of a chaser.........than a catcher.  An extra layer at this time is welcomed.