Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Uncle Doak

105th pitch

Question

Guest Uncle Doak

Fed,  late in the game F1 has 2-2 count on batter when DC comes out to change pitchers, I think it is odd but coaches do what they do.  As the reliever starts to

warm up the DC tells me how he hates to take out starter because he has thrown 105 pitches.  I told him that the rule allows F1 to finish a batter if the pitch count 

was below 105 when the hitter took his turn at bat.  I let the original F1 return to finish the hitter.  OC was unhappy and I told him because the of this happened before

we had a live ball it was legal.  Have had some other umpires disagree with me on this.   What say you?

Thanks

2 answers to this question

11 minutes ago, Guest Uncle Doak said:

Fed,  late in the game F1 has 2-2 count on batter when DC comes out to change pitchers, I think it is odd but coaches do what they do.  As the reliever starts to

warm up the DC tells me how he hates to take out starter because he has thrown 105 pitches.  I told him that the rule allows F1 to finish a batter if the pitch count 

was below 105 when the hitter took his turn at bat.  I let the original F1 return to finish the hitter.  OC was unhappy and I told him because the of this happened before

we had a live ball it was legal.  Have had some other umpires disagree with me on this.   What say you?

Thanks

FED pitch count rules are set by state.  Which state are you in?

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
1 hour ago, Guest Uncle Doak said:

Thanks

Regarding the sub, the announced change takes place when notated by you and announced. If that happened the new F1 should have finished the batter. Announced changes do not require a live ball to be in effect.

2006 Interps

SITUATION 18: With a runner on first and the pitcher struggling in the top of the fifth inning, S1 comes to the mound and begins to throw his warm-up pitches. His coach announces to the plate umpire the change, who marks it on his lineup card and announces to the home scorekeeper. After only four warm-up pitches, the defensive coach decides he wants a different player to pitch. The visiting coach argues that since the ball had not yet been made live, the substitution had not been made and he can change his mind. RULING: Once the umpire-in-chief has accepted the change, marked it on his lineup and announced the change, the substitution is in effect. The substitute pitcher must pitch until the batter then at bat, or any substitute for that batter, is put out or reaches first base, or until a third out has been made. Therefore, the coach cannot change his substitute pitcher until the pitching conditions have been met. The only exception to this requirement would be if the substitute pitcher became incapacitated or guilty of flagrant unsportsmanlike conduct. If there had been no announcement of the substitution, the unreported substitution would be considered to have been made when the pitcher took his place on the pitcher’s plate and the ball was made live. (3-1-1, 3-1-2)

• Like 1

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this