Jump to content

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Majordave

Samurai Gears Website/Mizuno Pro Plate Shoes

Recommended Posts

So, I am definitely in a new umpire shoe buying mood lately. My buddy Mike told me about the new(ish) Samurai Gears website and I took a look.  The site owner, So (that’s his first name) is very helpful, will answer any question and has very good English. (Way better than my Japanese). He worked extended spring training here in the US with a young local pro school graduate I work college games and high school games with here in KC area. Even sent me a photo of himself and Josh together

I bought the Mizuno Pro plate shoes. I placed my order on 12/21/17. They were shipped on 12/26/17 and they arrived on 12/29/17. I think that was pretty quickly so the shipping charge ($54) was pricy but it was worth it in my opinion.

The shoes are incredibly light.  Synthetic leather with a shiny finish so I don’t think they will need any Leather Lustering in year one. Well padded inside. Large metatarsal plate.  Grippy looking sole. AND.....the toe feels like it’s steel. I have the old NB 450’s made out of real leather with a steel toe so I know how steel toes are supposed to feel. I asked him by email and So confirmed that they are steel toes. The list price was $185 and So sent me a coupon code that saved me $27.75. Yep. $200+ for a pair of shoes. But, I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, I never cheat my feet. The weight, comfort, and the steel toes make it worth the price as far as I’m concerned. So also sent me a pair of new SSK brand “toe socks” to try. They are comfortable but feel really weird on my feet. Will take some getting used to I think. So told me in an email that MLB umpire Dan Bellino loves them.

Anyway, for me this site and its owner are a winner. I would love to try one of the Belgard and one of the Mizuno chest protectors one day. Maybe, if I win the lottery?

IMG_2987.JPG

IMG_2988.JPG

IMG_2986.JPG

Edited by Majordave
Add 3 photos
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
9 minutes ago, tpatience said:

I’ve bought a few things from him and I have but great things to say about him and his site.

Do tell. Review what you’ve purchased. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Majordave said:

Do tell. Review what you’ve purchased. 

I’ve bought the gold belt and now I’ve bought another pair of belgard pads and a mizuno undershirt. I have yet to receive the pads and the shirt but I love the belt. And he’s very easy to communicate with. He gets back quickly and he knows exactly what he’s talking about 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Majordave said:

So, I am definitely in a new umpire shoe buying mood lately. My buddy Mike told me about the new(ish) Samurai Gears website and I took a look.  The site owner, So (that’s his first name) is very helpful, will answer any question and has very good English. (Way better than my Japanese). He worked extended spring training here in the US with a young local pro school graduate I work college games and high school games with here in KC area. Even sent me a photo of himself and Josh together

I bought the Mizuno Pro plate shoes. I placed my order on 12/21/17. They were shipped on 12/26/17 and they arrived on 12/29/17. I think that was pretty quickly so the shipping charge ($54) was pricy but it was worth it in my opinion.

The shoes are incredibly light.  Synthetic leather with a shiny finish so I don’t think they will need any Leather Lustering in year one. Well padded inside. Large metatarsal plate.  Grippy looking sole. AND.....the toe feels like it’s steel. I have the old NB 450’s made out of real leather with a steel toe so I know how steel toes are supposed to feel. I asked him by email and So confirmed that they are steel toes. The list price was $185 and So sent me a coupon code that saved me $27.75. Yep. $200+ for a pair of shoes. But, I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, I never cheat my feet. The weight, comfort, and the steel toes make it worth the price as far as I’m concerned. So also sent me a pair of new SSK brand “toe socks” to try. They are comfortable but feel really weird on my feet. Will take some getting used to I think. So told me in an email that MLB unpire Dan Bellino loves them.

Anyway, for me this site and its owner are a winner. I would love to try one of the Belgrade and one of the Mizuno chest protectors one day. Maybe, if I win the lottery?

Good to know. I was going to pull the trigger on those to go with my patent-leather Mizuno base shoes. From the pic, they look like they're mids--is that the case?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wish I was smaller so I could get the mocks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just bought the Mizuno Mask and a few other goodies. Hoping to get them this week. I will keep you posted.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your pictures look significantly different than the one on the "Review" page.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CJK said:

Your pictures look significantly different than the one on the "Review" page.

I pasted the review. I will get correct pictures. That's what Google showed me :(

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The ones that Warren posted are actually the ones I have been looking for but apparently they are no longer available from anywhere.  The ones I bought are more traditional looking and wont cause you to have to answer too many questions.  I bought some low cut used Mizuno's from @Chris Hickman on the buy/sell/trade forum here.  They were real leather, pretty light and used two velcro straps instead of laces.  I liked them but they were too wide for me so I sold them to my buddy Mike I mentioned earlier. I think Chris Hickman bought the ones that look like what Warren posted in the Reviews forum. I had to answer a lot of questions whenever I wore the older Mizuno velcro low cuts because they look so different.  The did have a steel toe though.  That's why I am a Mizuno plate shoes fan.

Thanks for transferring/posting my review Warren.  I forgot about that reborn feature of the website.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Majordave said:

The ones that Warren posted are actually the ones I have been looking for but apparently they are no longer available from anywhere.  The ones I bought are more traditional looking and wont cause you to have to answer too many questions.  I bought some low cut used Mizuno's from @Chris Hickman on the buy/sell/trade forum here.  They were real leather, pretty light and used two velcro straps instead of laces.  I liked them but they were too wide for me so I sold them to my buddy Mike I mentioned earlier. I think Chris Hickman bought the ones that look like what Warren posted in the Reviews forum. I had to answer a lot of questions whenever I wore the older Mizuno velcro low cuts because they look so different.  The did have a steel toe though.  That's why I am a Mizuno plate shoes fan.

Thanks for transferring/posting my review Warren.  I forgot about that reborn feature of the website.

I know a good amount of minor league guys wear the old mizuno plate shoes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×