Jump to content

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Sign in to follow this  
David3

Pitcher shall notify the Windup position

Recommended Posts

If a pitcher's Windup position is very similar to a set position with runner/s on bases he has to announce this windup pitching to umpires under rule 5.07(a)(2) Comment. Is there a balk if he announces Windup and uses the set motion?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
3 hours ago, David3 said:

If a pitcher's Windup position is very similar to a set position with runner/s on bases he has to announce this windup pitching to umpires under rule 5.07(a)(2) Comment. Is there a balk if he announces Windup and uses the set motion?

If he stretches to a stop with leg motion that would be a balk. If he just puts his hands together that could be considered a preliminary windup move. A windup pitcher does not have to "wind up" so without any preliminary foot stretch a pitcher putting his hands together then could do a normal sidways windup or just rear back and throw. Might present problems if enough guys tried to game the system but right now there there are just a few in MLB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, David3 said:

If a pitcher's Windup position is very similar to a set position with runner/s on bases he has to announce this windup pitching to umpires under rule 5.07(a)(2) Comment. Is there a balk if he announces Windup and uses the set motion?

If he announces windup just treat it as windup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Rich Ives said:

If he announces windup just treat it as windup.

With R3, depending on the pitchers normal set and windup motions, a free foot move could entice R3 to open or steal. The pitcher shall not raise either foot from the ground in the windup except as part of his normal pitching motion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jimurray said:

With R3, depending on the pitchers normal set and windup motions, a free foot move could entice R3 to open or steal. The pitcher shall not raise either foot from the ground in the windup except as part of his normal pitching motion.

He announced windup. The runners know it. Treat it as such.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rich Ives said:

He announced windup. The runners know it. Treat it as such.

Exactly, so if he starts his windup, such as initiating a free foot move to a set position and stops it's a balk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Jimurray said:

Exactly, so if he starts his windup, such as initiating a free foot move to a set position and stops it's a balk

That's not what you said.  You said "The pitcher shall not raise either foot from the ground in the windup except as part of his normal pitching motion"

A pitcher can pick from windup so the foot movement isn't necessarily the start of a pitch. You also need to raise the pivot foot to step off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Rich Ives said:

That's not what you said.  You said "The pitcher shall not raise either foot from the ground in the windup except as part of his normal pitching motion"

A pitcher can pick from windup so the foot movement isn't necessarily the start of a pitch. You also need to raise the pivot foot to step off.

"Shall not raise either foot from the ground, except...." is in the rule and the rulemakers did not envision your semantic argument that a pitcher in the windup has to raise a foot to pick or step off. We allow that of course but my application of the rule wording is in reference to the OP and a possible foot movement that would deceive R3 into thinking the windup had started. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Similar Content

    • By Thunderheads
      Hi all ...
      I'm losing my mind .... (at least I think I am) but ....  A dropped ball by a pitcher is a balk (that doesn't cross the foul line) ONLY if he's touching the pitchers plate, yes?  Why do I think I remember seeing "either on the rubber or straddling" ??   All I'm finding is 6-2-4a
      Help! Thanks!
    • By chalen
      OBR. R1, stealing on the pitch. The pitcher using the set position balks by failing to come to a discernible stop but delivers the pitch. The batter lays down a bunt. F2 fields the batted ball and throws out the batter-runner at 1B. Obviously we have a no-pitch and we will enforce the balk. Because the batter did not achieve 1B, do we kill the play immediately when the out is recorded at 1B, regardless the location of R1? If R1 was already on 3B when the out was recorded, is R1 still returned to 2B?
    • By chalen
      R1 and R2 (on 1B and 2B, of course). The pitcher balks with a feint to 1B, then throws the ball past 1B. R2 scores, but R1 (who dove back to 1B and was slow to advance), is tagged out while attempting to reach 2B. So we enforce the balk. Obviously R1 gets 2B. Is R2 returned to 3B?
    • By rzanew
      10U Travel ball.  At this age you see some weird things!
       
      RHP with runner on first.  F1 lifts left leg (knee up), pivots, steps toward first and throws to F3 on the bag.  Pivot foot stays on/near the rubber.  Would this be a balk or legal play?
      My thinking at the time is that he is doing the same thing a LHP would do.  Namely lifting the non-pivot leg and then stepping directly toward first.  
       
      On reflection, I could see this as illegal, as he started his normal pitching motion (left leg lift) and did not complete the pitch.  But then why doesn't this apply to LHP?  Does RHP need to move the pivot foot first when making a pickoff move?  
       
    • By jms1425
      My apologies if this was posted before, but I can't find it. What is the violation here?
       
       
×