Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Umpire in Chief

Your Umpiring New Years Resolutions

Many of us make New Years Resolutions for our personal life like loosing weight, getting a new or better job, being nicer to people who don't deserve it, etc...

I try to make some that relate to umpiring.

So I will start by giving a few of mine.

• Pause, Read & React - You would thing a veteran umpire would have this basic skill mastered. I am still not satisfied with my PRR skills especially on trouble balls from the A position. I vary from too long of a pause to virtually none at all. 
  • Timing - The vast majority of the time I am comfortable with my timing on plays, however it's that 0.05% margin of error when the timing bug bites you. When reassessing situations where I either missed a call or something went awry the issue has often been timing. I need to just relax a little at certain times and not get so excitable.
  • Paying it forward - Beyond the website I want to pay it forward at a local level. I've volunteered to do some presentations in the past to our local association and this year I've volunteered to assist with the rules instruction for my group's new umpires
  • Balance - This is something I use to struggle with a lot and have made some improvements, but still have a little while to go. Once upon a time I worked any and every game I could get, but that meant sacrificing time with my family or doing things outside of umpiring I enjoy.  I firmly believe you need to reach a balance between all the things in our lives. Work, family, other interests and umpiring. Maybe I'm just getting older and more crotchety, but I find I enjoy my umpiring more when it's not the sole focus of my life. It helps me go from, "Oh god please let it rain I don't want another game this week." to "Yes! I cant wait for this game." And going into a game with the right attitude makes a huge difference on your performance.

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

1. Continue to master the rules.  I'm good but I'm not the best yet at my level. 

2. 4-man maximization and making it second nature like 3-man.

3. PPP - pre pitch preparedness - continue to play the game of chess to know what could happen before it does, so my surprises are minimalized. 

4. I agree  with paying it forward.  I believe if we don't then we are not doing our job. 

5. Continue to build my brand (networking) to get to the next step.

Best is 2018 boys!

• Like 1

Continue to lose weight.

Get better every day.

Work every game as hard as I can.

Get back to the Mid-American Clinic

• Like 1

Continue to Lose weight.

Continue to ask questions and learn from umpires I respect and grow each day.

Build a good pipeline of contacts to take next steps in my goals to where i want to be at.

2018 I need to attend 2-3 clinics with on field evaluations of 3 and 4 man mechanics.

I really like the play it forward resolution. We really need to get young umpires into the game and work on retaining them.

This one I got messed up last year - recognize when I have a concussion and give myself a break (or even go get checked). It effected my concentration at the end of last season. Being a paramedic - you think I would pay more attention when I get hit.

• Like 1

Pause Read React - Concur!

Timing - Again, ....I concur w/ Warren!

BALANCE!  THIS IS HUGE!  I started doing this last year by taking an additional day off during the week.  This will be my second year doing so, and it DOES HELP tremendously!  I have Tuesday, and Friday's off during HS season (of course no games on Sunday).   I actually believe that the balance makes you a better umpire!

Improve - Attending a different camp this year in Grand Rapids, MI