Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
jwclubbie

SSK Japan Mask

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
54 bucks plus shipping. What a steal. 
Have you ever checked out samuraigears.com? Bunch of Japanese gear on there. Owner is a cool guy too

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jwclubbie said:

54 bucks plus shipping. What a steal. 

WOW! No joke!

I was selfishly hoping you were going to Japan to buy one. I would have had you pick up a Mizuno Shovel, if you could find it, and I would have bought it off you. Lol

4 minutes ago, tjohnson said:

Have you ever checked out samuraigears.com? Bunch of Japanese gear on there. Owner is a cool guy too

He’s a really cool guy. I’ve gotten a few things from him and he gave me a 15% discount. 

• Like 1

On 12/15/2017 at 5:20 PM, tjohnson said:

Just created an account! Going to check it out!

On 12/15/2017 at 2:25 PM, tpatience said:

He’s a really cool guy. I’ve gotten a few things from him and he gave me a 15% discount. 

So it' worth signing up?

He does have some unique items on there if you are willing to pony up the $'s.  There is a cool Mizuno Titanium Pro mask on there for $399 that I was kinda surprised that no one on here has raved about before.  He has a good following in the MiLB ranks as the site owner is from those ranks as well .  About anything Belgrade, Mizuno or SSK you might want. 

• Like 1

I must be some kind of umpire equipment snob, but... NO!

Those masks are freaking ugly. 

(This is the worst looking mask I've ever saw.  I bet if you buy this mask, you get a free bowl of soup!  But, I bet it'd look good on you, John!)  My apologies to Al Czervik.

23 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

So it' worth signing up?

I say no as although I'd like to try a couple of those chest protectors, they're extremely expensive and a bit much to buy just to test.

Just 'cause you're on a diet, don't mean that you can't look at the menu!  Shoot, it's FREE to sign up.  They're just giving you access to their site is all. 

Besides, that's my favorite flavor of food and/or adult beverage........FREE!

• Like 2

On 12/17/2017 at 6:19 PM, BT_Blue said:

So it' worth signing up?

I say no as although I'd like to try a couple of those chest protectors, they're extremely expensive and a bit much to buy just to test. Anyone know why the Japanese market is so proud of their gear and prices so high? 

1 hour ago, JDavis225 said:

I say no as although I'd like to try a couple of those chest protectors, they're extremely expensive and a bit much to buy just to test. Anyone know why the Japanese market is so proud of their gear and prices so high? 

My guess is due to their league size and sales opportunity/marketing.  They don't sell as much as our manufacturers do.   They have a limited market compared to us. In Japan there are 12 teams in their league compared to 30 in MLB.  That is not to mention all of MiLB (30 AAA, 30 AA, and who knows how many A ball affiliates there are)... plus colleges, high schools, etc.  We sell and use a lot more gear over here than they would in Japan. It's hard to keep prices low if you're not selling a lot - so you have to get your money from the hundreds you are selling high versus spread out over thousands of sales at lower cost.  

Then, I'm going to guess marketing has a heavy impact on their sales.  Many Americans will either (1) buy American or (2) buy something they are familiar with like Wilson (and their MLB logo), All Star, Force 3, etc. over a Japanese brand that is not personally known within their circle.  Sure, the catcher for the Indians might wear a Mizuno, but most of their umpire-buddies and friends wear American brands.   It's hard to try something new when the cost to get it over here to the USA is so high - so we keep staying with our known brands for the most part. 

What we need is a major importer/seller to bring a lot of Japanese gear over here so we can save on shipping - then you'd start seeing more of that gear being used by your peers and mine.   Rakuten has fair prices on their gear, but the shipping kills you. 

Example, a spyder throat guard is only $32... but then it's another $18+ to ship, so now I'm at $50.  It is very hard to re-sell that and make any money if I'm in the business.  Now, if I could buy 100 throat guards and get a big discount on buying bulk and shipping - then my sales cost comes down and I'll sell more, plus I can still make a profit.

Just my two cents. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, wolfe_man said:

My guess is due to their league size and sales opportunity/marketing.  They don't sell as much as our manufacturers do.   They have a limited market compared to us. In Japan there are 12 teams in their league compared to 30 in MLB.  That is not to mention all of MiLB (30 AAA, 30 AA, and who knows how many A ball affiliates there are)... plus colleges, high schools, etc.  We sell and use a lot more gear over here than they would in Japan. It's hard to keep prices low if you're not selling a lot - so you have to get your money from the hundreds you are selling high versus spread out over thousands of sales at lower cost.  

Then, I'm going to guess marketing has a heavy impact on their sales.  Many Americans will either (1) buy American or (2) buy something they are familiar with like Wilson (and there MLB logo), All Star, Force 3, etc. over a Japanese brand that is not personally known within their circle.  Sure, the catcher for the Indians might wear a Mizuno, but most of their umpire-buddies and friends wear American brands.   It's hard to try something new when the cost to get it over here to the USA is so high - so we keep staying with our known brands for the most part. 

What we need is a major importer/seller to bring a lot of Japanese gear over here so we can save on shipping - then you'd start seeing more of that gear being used by your peers and mine.   Rakuten has fair prices on their gear, but the shipping kills you. 

Example, a spyder throat guard is only $32... but then it's another $18+ to ship, so now I'm at $50.  It is very hard to re-sell that and make any money if I'm in the business.  Now, if I could buy 100 throat guards and get a big discount on buying bulk and shipping - then my sales cost comes down and I'll sell more, plus I can still make a profit.

Just my two cents. 

Very well put. I didn't know how big or small the umpire market was in Japan but that makes perfect sense. 

• Thanks 1