Tall Umpire CP Survey!

UMPCourse
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2290 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

• 2 weeks later...

Schutt XV with extension for me. It has a delta flex harness mod.. For backup, I have a Wilson Platinum with a modified extension from a diamond ix3 added to it.

I'm 6ft 3

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Very good answers here. I'll add the copy from our buying guide with my thoughts on CPs thst provide protection via a hard shell top to bottom:

Best Hard Shells for Taller Umpires: If you are a taller umpire, say 6' 1" or 6' 2" or taller and you want your ribs covered, some umpire chest protectors, due to their smaller size range, just will not do. In general, all Wilson chest protectors have sizes 13" or lower. Most likely a 14", 15" or perhaps more would be needed for taller umpires.

IMG_0243.jpeg
(The Champion P2 17" is 4" longer than the 13" Wilson Charcoal)

Below are the 4 umpire chest protectors options for taller umpires in a hard shell:

For value, the Champro and Champion give you the additional length you are looking for at a much lower cost than the Douglas or All-Star.

• Like 3

Also add in the Schutt (despite the almost unusable yoke harness) as a CP that a taller umpire can use. I don' recall the exact measurements. Nor am I able to look at mine as it is currently in storage for the long winter.

It also comes with a Velcro on extension for added length.

• Like 2

Okay, you may think this is funny but here goes...

Wear a football rib protector backwards - instead of protecting ribs and spine, spin it around and cover the belly and ribs.  Hard shell protection/extension for about $20 -25 on eBay.  

Added bonus you can buy gray or black to match your CP.

You can attach to your CP or buy industrial strength Velcro strips and make It detachable.

522879D1-19C2-43A1-890C-96D72CF74F3A.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wolfe_man said:

Okay, you may think this is funny but here goes...

Wear a football rib protector backwards - instead of protecting ribs and spine, spin it around and cover the belly and ribs.  Hard shell protection/extension for about $20 -25 on eBay.  

Added bonus you can buy gray or black to match your CP.

You can attach to your CP or buy industrial strength Velcro strips and make It detachable.

522879D1-19C2-43A1-890C-96D72CF74F3A.png

Interesting idea. Wore one of those in high school for football. Is this something you wear or plan to? I'd be curious how it works out and to potentially pass the feedback along to Champro to modify to optimize for umpires.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JimKirk said:

Interesting idea. Wore one of those in high school for football. Is this something you wear or plan to? I'd be curious how it works out and to potentially pass the feedback along to Champro to modify to optimize for umpires.

I have a Schutt one I tried. It worked as good or better than any extension I’ve seen and it’s about the same thickness of padding as my WV Gold.

I’m short (5’10”) and really don’t need it - but it fits perfect between my belt and the bottom of my CP. It stays in place well and is actually more protective than any CP due to wrapping fully around the sides.

As a positive, you cannot see it under the shirt when wearing. It fits close on me.  If I were tall, then this is what I’d wear. While most extensions are soft, this is hard-shell.

They make just the back plate also if you don’t want the full wrap-around.

I got mine off eBay new for $15.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wolfe_man said:

I have a Schutt one I tried. It worked as good or better than any extension I’ve seen and it’s about the same thickness of padding as my WV Gold.

I’m short (5’10”) and really don’t need it - but it fits perfect between my belt and the bottom of my CP. It stays in place well and is actually more protective than any CP due to wrapping fully around the sides.

As a positive, you cannot see it under the shirt when wearing. It fits close on me.  If I were tall, then this is what I’d wear. While most extensions are soft, this is hard-shell.

They make just the back plate also if you don’t want the full wrap-around.

I got mine off eBay new for $15.

Thanks for sharing. You've given me some food for thought. I'd be curious to hear if anyone else uses something like this to extend the length of a non-lengthy CP and how it works for them as well. Certainly advocate that ribs are covered - whatever it takes. Good work @wolfe_man!

• Thanks 1

On 12/29/2017 at 4:00 AM, JimKirk said:

Very good answers here. I'll add the copy from our buying guide with my thoughts on CPs thst provide protection via a hard shell top to bottom:

Best Hard Shells for Taller Umpires: If you are a taller umpire, say 6' 1" or 6' 2" or taller and you want your ribs covered, some umpire chest protectors, due to their smaller size range, just will not do. In general, all Wilson chest protectors have sizes 13" or lower. Most likely a 14", 15" or perhaps more would be needed for taller umpires.

IMG_0243.jpeg
(The Champion P2 17" is 4" longer than the 13" Wilson Charcoal)

Below are the 4 umpire chest protectors options for taller umpires in a hard shell:

For value, the Champro and Champion give you the additional length you are looking for at a much lower cost than the Douglas or All-Star.

Jim thank you for your input. Sorry for the dumb question, but what is a "sizing plate".

Enjoy being down at the UTA- it was great meeting you and hearing you speak last year at school- and the equipment presentations you did were helpful. Especially checking everyone's CP during our time in the cages.

I am 6'6 and am starting out doing some JUCO baseball. While doing HS and Legion ball, I used a p200 17in. It's a great cp and when a Umplife 360 harness is added, it is a really nice setup. I just got a Wilson Platinum 13 In for Christmas. It is about 3.5 inches too short. I am having our local shoe repair person add a strong pad extension. I will post pics on here when it is done. 

• Like 2