2 umpire system mechanics question

Guest Appealing Coach
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2303 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Guest Appealing Coach

(2 umpire system)

No one on, batter hits line drive to left field, left fielder dives for the ball and does not catch it and gets by him and ball rolls to the fence. U1 does a good job of staying ahead of batter runner. Batter runner is hustling to 3rd base and then heads home, on his way by he missed 3rd base. Throw comes in and batter runner slides in safely. After action has ceased defense appeals that batter runner missed 3rd base.  Question is whose call is it, U1 or plate umpire?

6 answers to this question

14 hours ago, Kevin_K said:

The on field communication is important so there are not two umpires making a call that could potentially have two different interpretations. I would probably be looking at my partner to use non verbal communication like tapping my chest to indicate "I have this one."

11 hours ago, Jimurray said:

There is more than one book. If BU is taking a clean triple with no one on he would have touch of 3B. After reading Jim Evans 2 man manual my brief is that my BU has all tags and touches of 1B and 2B and the BR at 3B. I have all tags and touches of 3B except for the BR. If the BR is at or passing 3B then most likely my BU will be with him no matter what the runner config and I will be home. Unless you are in NJ.

These answers, combined, are correct.  imo, of course.

Answer: It depends

In most cases, U1 will take BR into 3B, but in some cases - like in NJ High School baseball -  the mechanic is the PU is supposed to take BR into 3B and U1 rotates to home. Perhaps U1 is not as mobile as he should be and could not get across the diamond.

Both umpires have the potential to see the touch/no touch and their pre-game conference would dictate what would typically happen. The on field communication is important so there are not two umpires making a call that could potentially have two different interpretations. I would probably be looking at my partner to use non verbal communication like tapping my chest to indicate "I have this one."

So, like I said.... it depends

3 minutes ago, BT_Blue said:

By the book... plate should have the touch at third.

There is more than one book. If BU is taking a clean triple with no one on he would have touch of 3B. After reading Jim Evans 2 man manual my brief is that my BU has all tags and touches of 1B and 2B and the BR at 3B. I have all tags and touches of 3B except for the BR. If the BR is at or passing 3B then most likely my BU will be with him no matter what the runner config and I will be home. Unless you are in NJ.

• Like 1

On 12/03/2017 at 6:21 PM, Kevin_K said:

Perhaps U1 is not as mobile as he should be and could not get across the diamond.

Never bought this as a good reason for the silly FED mechanic. If U1 can't get to 3B in time ahead of a BR, how on earth is he going to get to HP in time?

On 12/04/2017 at 9:06 AM, noumpere said:

Unless you are in NJ.

Exactly...the land where the state association refuses to stray one iota from the FED umpire manual....Is it any wonder navy is still their preferred color?

• Like 1