CP Help Requested

grk17
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2303 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

So I apologize for yet another CP advice thread but I am starting to wonder if anything out there that will fit me well so I would appreciate some help with this one. 

First, I am a tall slim cut guy. I currently wear a Wilson Gold and as you can imagine, my bottom ribs are not quite covered and since I am so slim, the Gold looks even more bulky and out-of-proportion on me as it does on most people. Therefore, I need something that covers my bottom rib, isn't so bulky and hot, but something that still affords me enough protection to go behind the plate in a varsity high school level.

So in my search to find a replacement, I have a friend who has a 15 inch Douglas that I test drove for a while. While it is certainly a quality protector, the middle plate on the Douglas stuck out so far that it just made me look weird (again due to my slender frame). I started to miss the conforming nature of the Gold after noticing this. In fact, I couldn't even cradle my mask under my arm and against my body in between innings because the middle plate stuck out past my body so far. The middle plate was so wide and non-conforming to my frame that I decided that this was not what I was looking for, so the search continues.  

I have begun looking into the SchuttXV and thinking about contacting  @MadMax for advice on how to rig a flex style harness on that rig. I have been reading that the Schutt is not as bulky and hot as the gold and I really like the advanced foams instead of sofa cushion foam. However, I saw a few pics where Max modeled this rig and it seemed like the "wings" (for lack of a better term) on the side under the shoulders stuck out and didn't really conform (maybe this isn't the case and it was just that one pic).

I would really appreciate any advice and opinions on what seems like a never-ending chest protector search. Thanks!

If you like the Gold try a 15” Champion. Thinner profile and longer - Champion even has a 17”!

If you like Douglas and you have the budget, Jeff can cut it down to your size chest width. They’ll custom fit to you but it costs more of course.

You can always remove side wings from Gold, Schutt, Champion, etc if you don’t want or like them as well.

Find your fit!

45 minutes ago, wolfe_man said:

If you like the Gold try a 15” Champion. Thinner profile and longer - Champion even has a 17”!

Yeah I have been looking into Champion as well. Only thing that I'm not quite sure about is that neck pad. I'm assuming this could be removed though

23 minutes ago, grk17 said:

Yeah I have been looking into Champion as well. Only thing that I'm not quite sure about is that neck pad. I'm assuming this could be removed though

I’ve cut it out before. It’s do-able.

I'm 6'3" and I really like the fit of the Champion 15" CP. It comes down right to the bottom of my ribs. I have the neck pad still on there. If you cut it out you might need to go a size up (from what I've read). I don't care much about the neck pad but the CP has so conformed to my body shape the way it is I won't cut it out. 

I have a slim build and have a Schutt’s XV. Fits great once you mold it to your body. I taken a couple of shots and don’t even feel it. I have posted my “Charlie Brown” modification for the delta flex using nylon strapping and rectangle hoops. 

Just sent it to a cobbler to get a more professional look. Will update when I get it back. 

Finally, nice thing about the Schutt’s is that it comes with an 4” extension. That might be nice for your height. 

2 hours ago, BCBrad said:

I have a slim build and have a Schutt’s XV. Fits great once you mold it to your body. I taken a couple of shots and don’t even feel it. I have posted my “Charlie Brown” modification for the delta flex using nylon strapping and rectangle hoops. 

Just sent it to a cobbler to get a more professional look. Will update when I get it back. 

Finally, nice thing about the Schutt’s is that it comes with an 4” extension. That might be nice for your height. 

The weird part about the extension is that it's just more of the D3O padding without any hardshell, but I do feel a lot better having something there rather than nothing. 

Hey guys, one more quick question.. does anyone who has a 13 inch Douglas know what the width of the bottom plate is? I’ve heard that the 12/13 inch models aren’t as wide as the 15 inch model. I think the 15 inch model’s middle plate is about 15 inches in width. 

It's not a huge difference. I've had both 13" and 15" and I can't say I noticed a lot of difference.  I don't have them anymore so I can't measure myself.

Sorry, it's not a measurement or proof of anything, but hope it helps.