PUC/Indyball b4 Pro-School?

HCueds
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2345 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Hey all, so I decided not to go to pro school this upcoming year back in June. I figured I’d be better off waiting it out another year and getting some more experience in. I feel like another year of all the levels I call would definitely help me. Especially since I started learning 3 man, and going out and working some D1 fall intersquads. 

And then it hit me, why not attend PUC and get a better grasp on 3 man while trying to earn a job working independent ball for a season before going to pro school. 

Ive talked to some minor league buddies and have gotten some mixed reactions about it. One thinks the experience would definitely help, and another thinks it’d be a waste of a year (but he really wanted me to go to school this year). I’m gonna ask another what he thinks later on this week, but just wanted to get some more opinions from you guys. But ultimately I just might do what my gut tells me. 

Also if any of you work or have worked in an independent league what’s your take on it

In my NSHO, if you're ultimate goal is MiLB, the time to go to Pro school is now.  You may be perfecting non-PBUC mechanics.  3-man will do diddley for you at pro school.  If need be, the extra year you'd spend now can be used to repeat pro school if you're close but not close enough to make it to the PBUC qualifying school.

• Like 2

Obviously I don't have any experience with MiLB or pro school, but my understanding is that at school they'll build everything you need to know from the ground up. It seems like you're plenty experienced to make yourself relatively comfortable learning/relearning at pro school. 

I’m really comfortable with the fact that I’m going to be rebuilt as an umpire. The thing that I don’t want to happen is if I have to go a second time. The reason I’m thinking about 3man and Indy ball is that if work well enough and get offered a job Ill have “greater” experience to separate myself from the pack if I get to the evaluation course.