Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Sign in to follow this  
sportsadmin25

Assigner (Never Assignor) Question

Hi All, 

New member to the board and although not an umpire, I do work in sports administration. (And although a new member, while going through the archives I did notice a big debate about using assigner vs. assignor.) 

Anyways, the reason for this post is simple: does anyone have advice on becoming an assignor/assigner? I just applied for this role yesterday with an association, but even if I don't get the job, I'll certainly be keeping an eye out for future openings. I believe it's roughly 200-300 officials, but am not 100% certain on how many teams that'll cover. 

Yes, I know I'm probably crazy for wanting this job -- but at the same time I'm the type of crazy person who enjoys setting games schedules. 

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

Become a member of the association for which you want to be the booking agent (:lol:...I avoided assignor/er).  Then, develop a reputation in that association as being someone who is fair, level-headed, and trustworthy.  Also, demonstrate a level of officiating (umpiring) ability (on the field) that generates respect from the membership. 

To me, this last point is important.  When you are the booking secretary there are times when you have to give negative feedback to members.  For example, when a member asks you why (s)he is not being assigned to varsity games, or to playoff games, or to (insert big game here).  It is my experience that members receive this negative feedback better when they are receiving it from someone whose umpiring abilities they respect, as opposed to receiving it from someone whom they believe holds their position as booking secretary simply because of association politics.  This makes for a happier membership and association from top to bottom.

The alternative, of course, is that you could join an association that is highly political and values "who you know" over "umpiring ability".  Then, use your political skills to become a member of the "good 'ole boys' " network in said association.  Then, it will be a matter of time (Re: when the old(er) guard leave) before you become the booking agent.  These associations most definitely exist, too.

• Like 2

assigner – a person who assigns, allots or apportions.

assignor – a person who legally transfers to another some property or right.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1