2018 POE

ScubaUmp
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2262 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

21 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

Is that a NJ authored speech?

Yep. It's a Jersey thing..For all sports. The kids who play multiple sports must hear it so much, we must sound like the adults in a Peanuts cartoon when we recite it. 

22 minutes ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

And here is the Pennsylvania (PIAA) reading requirement:

"PIAA requires all registered sports' officials to enforce the sportsmanship rules for coaches and contestants. Actions meant to demean opposing contestants, teams, spectators and officials are not in the highest ideals of interscholastic education and will not be tolerated. Let today's contest reflect mutual respect. Coaches please certify to the contest official(s) that your contestants are legally equipped and uniformed according to NFHS rules and PIAA adoptions. Good luck in today's contest."

If one has to read a prepared speech, Pa's got a lot better one. You're knocking out sportsmanship and the equipment issue in less time. 

1 hour ago, Richvee said:

Yep. It's a Jersey thing..For all sports. The kids who play multiple sports must hear it so much, we must sound like the adults in a Peanuts cartoon when we recite it. 

It's the result of an incident at a state championship football game where one player called another "N".  The victims father was a lawyer in Trenton.  It has to be read at all levels of NJSIAA sanctioned sports.  I read it like a speed reading exercise.  I worked with a guy that did it from memory...I was very impressed.  I have read it hundreds of times and still read it.

I have worked with several partners that used @lawump's version even though we are not supposed to.

I also had my first anthem standoff this year and thanks to U-E, I was ready. A coach for one team and a player for the other (cross-town rivals). We did the plate meeting after the anthem.  I closed the meeting by telling both coaches "if they are still on the line when you get back to the dugout, they are ejected and so is the head coach." They cleared the lines immediately.

40 minutes ago, LMSANS said:

I worked with a guy that did it from memory...I was very impressed.  I have read it hundreds of times and still read it.

Our very own @Kevin_K can recite the speech without the card. It is impressive. 

2 hours ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

C'mon............guys!   We learned the Gettysburg Address in something like 3rd grade!  Reciting a sportsmanship message should be a piece of cake!

or better yet.................KINDERGARTEN!!

See the source image

Give me a complex math problem, and I'll solve it long before I can memorize a paragraph. I was never very good at verbatim memorization.  :shrug:

10 hours ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

And here is the Pennsylvania (PIAA) reading requirement:

"PIAA requires all registered sports' officials to enforce the sportsmanship rules for coaches and contestants. Actions meant to demean opposing contestants, teams, spectators and officials are not in the highest ideals of interscholastic education and will not be tolerated. Let today's contest reflect mutual respect. Coaches please certify to the contest official(s) that your contestants are legally equipped and uniformed according to NFHS rules and PIAA adoptions. Good luck in today's contest."

First game is embarrassing since I have to pull out the card AND my readers to get through this.  Usually by my third game I can recite this from memory. 

We are also instructed that we need an audible, positive response from the coaches regarding the equipment certification.  A nod or grunt is not acceptable.

7 hours ago, conbo61 said:

First game is embarrassing since I have to pull out the card AND my readers to get through this.  Usually by my third game I can recite this from memory. 

We are also instructed that we need an audible, positive response from the coaches regarding the equipment certification.  A nod or grunt is not acceptable.

Same here on the audible, positive response.

12 hours ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

C'mon............guys!   We learned the Gettysburg Address in something like 3rd grade!  Reciting a sportsmanship message should be a piece of cake!

or better yet.................KINDERGARTEN!!

See the source image

That, I remember!

1 hour ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

How many "blind ump" comments have been generated from this? :sarcasm:

Just a little good natured ribbing from a coach, other than that no issues.

Need them for lineup card checks and edits now as well.

11 hours ago, conbo61 said:

BTDT. "Coach, we're stuck here until you say 'yes'".

On 1/11/2018 at 8:49 AM, Aging_Arbiter said:

..............or no.  At which time I will ask that you return to the dugout to verify.  We will wait here for you.

We require a yes of some sort as well. I've only had one coach do the "no" or "I'm not sure" and did exactly as above. 

On 1/10/2018 at 11:54 AM, Jimurray said:

I'm only aware of 4-1-3:

"a. The umpire-in-chief shall emphasize to both head coaches and captains that all participants are expected to exhibit good sporting behavior throughout the game(s)."

Is that a NJ authored speech?

yes