2018 POE

ScubaUmp
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2263 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

https://www.nfhs.org/sports-resource-content/baseball-points-of-emphasis-2018/

No power point presentation, no pictures, Five clear directives.

Is the consistent enforcement of these POE by all umpires the NFHS' expected payoff for changing the runner designation in the case book? was this rigged from the beginning, are the Russians involved?

Seriously though, As part of the CORPS how do you plan to administer these POE?  In particular, 'Pitching Positions' Hybrid Stance this has become so egregious, I was in C position and the shortstop calls to the 2nd baseman "is he in the stretch or the windup?" 2nd baseman "I don't know"..Time! 

'"I've never heard of that, you're making it up", "your the only one who calls this", " he's been pitching that way the entire tournament", "He''s the starting pitcher for varsity team and pitched that way at the regional tournament" These are just a few of the classics, I have heard over the years.

I look forward to your input and guidance, Strikes&Outs!!! 

Singing off with the handle my friends and fellow Umpires 'Joel Church & Lee Miller' gave to me, may the Rest In Peace.

THAT GUY!

6 hours ago, ScubaUmp said:

'"I've never heard of that, you're making it up", It's real. you can look it up. (don't argue)
"your the only one who calls this", OK (don't argue)
" he's been pitching that way the entire tournament" OK (don't argue)
"He''s the starting pitcher for varsity team and pitched that way at the regional tournament" OK (don't argue)

Most HS umpires don't understand the risk that they are taking when they don't enforcing this rule. When the umpire crew allows F1 to throw to a base from the hybrid wind-up position, he's going to get crap from the OHC for allowing the pickoff (from the wind-up and illegal stance) or DHC for balking F1 (coach insists that F1 was in a legal "set" position). Either way the crew rules, they are screwed.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

"Going to the mouth while in contact with the pitcher’s plate is a balk, not because the pitcher goes to his mouth, but because the action simulates the start of the pitching motion."

They can't let go of that one, can they?

....but he can bypass his mouth and adjust his cap...that doesn't simulate the same motion. :banghead:

• Like 5

Volump, My apologies for the typo and poor grammar. I must work on that 'BIGGLY'

Ricka56, Exactly, screwed either way. Started this post for pretty much that response.

By crews choosing to allow pitching infractions we foster the crappy baseball everyone complains about. Are we to the point of 'zero tolerance' of all pitching infractions, including illegal pitches with no runners on???  

I'll go ahead and grab this one, 'ZERO Tolerance on rules = ZERO games on the schedule'

5 hours ago, ScubaUmp said:

I'll go ahead and grab this one, 'ZERO Tolerance on rules = ZERO games on the schedule'

Truly sorry if that’s the way it is where you work. Not the case here. In fact, our State Director preaches repeatedly, “If you guys go by the RuleBook, we can back you up every time and we won’t even entertain Ccoach complaints.

“Vary from the RuleBook and we have a hard time supporting you.”

Coaches have been disciplined for trying to vote out (blackball) an official from a postseason District Tourney for being “too black & white by the book ... e.g., delaying the game to put the kids in the dugout ... making cheap INT calls ... calling balks that didn’t deceive anyone ...”

These coaches are usually told, “Ya know, it’s a privilege to play, and especially to “host” the postseason tourneys. If you’re gonna knock one of my best umpires for going too literally by the book, all that means is you don’t like the rule ... it tells me he’s doing precisely what he should, and what a lot of guys refuse to do.  Lodge a written complaint about the rule ... not the man who enforces it.”

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ricka56 said:

'"I've never heard of that, you're making it up", It's real. You can look it up. (don't argue)
"you’re the only one who calls this",

How ‘bout that? (don't argue)

"He's been pitching that way the entire tournament" 

How ‘bout that? (don't argue)

"He''s the starting pitcher for the varsity team and pitched that way at the regional tournament" 

How ‘bout that? (don't argue)

Rick (see above);

I think this is a better reply than, “OK.”  And if spoken in the right tone, it says something a bit differently without having too much sarcasm.

”OK” is obviously just a way of saying, “Shut up.”

How ‘bout that?” IMHO says, “Wow — interesting — you’ve been getting away with unenforced rules ... that’s pretty lucky. Well, Sir, not today.”

• Like 1

6 hours ago, VolUmp said:

”OK” is obviously just a way of saying, “Shut up.” 

OK

6 hours ago, VolUmp said:

How ‘bout that? (don't argue)

if spoken in the right tone, it says something a bit differently without having too much sarcasm.

How ‘bout that?” IMHO says, “Wow — interesting — you’ve been getting away with unenforced rules ... that’s pretty lucky. Well, Sir, not today.”

Right tone ? Your description of what you mean by ”How ‘bout that?” reeks of sarcasm. I'm not skilled enough in the art of deception to make that response not sound sarcastic. Sarcasm is an escalation trigger.

The point being, use whatever response that you need to:
1. not escalate the situation;
2. not give the coach any ammunition to keep the discussion going;
3. end the conversation ASAP;
4. get back to baseball ASAP.

• Haha 2

On 11/3/2017 at 7:47 AM, ScubaUmp said:

Seriously though, As part of the CORP how do you plan to administer these POE?

I think you mean 'corps', but I won't need to do anything different.:wave:

Seriously though, I'm association interpreter, and we've been moving in this direction for years (consistency of enforcement as an association = easier for everyone).

And: what did you expect?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ricka56 said:

point being, use whatever response that you need to:
1. not escalate the situation;
2. not give the coach any ammunition to keep the discussion going;
3. end the conversation ASAP;
4. get back to baseball ASAP.

Agreed

• 2 months later...
On 11/3/2017 at 1:24 PM, ScubaUmp said:

If that's how things are in your area, thank God I don't work there. If we start picking and choosing which rules we will enforce, then coaches and players can pick and choose which rules they will obey. You do no one any favors by not making calls just to be in the good graces of a coach. That's a lesson I learned very early on.

Some other thoughts about the POE in general:

Mostly, it seems like common sense. One thing I noticed about more senior officials in my association was they would remind the coaches of the POE during the plate conference so I began to take on the same practice. I anticipate more of the same this year.

We don't have much trouble with the jewelry ban here but I've heard of some schools in other regions (mainly larger ones) where supposedly this has been a problem. I have never seen an anthem standoff at a high school game but we all know what happens when such a thing becomes an issue at higher levels. The taunting is more of an issue than anything but, thankfully, not a very large one. 

Bottom line: A simple reminder seemed to do the trick and I don't foresee that changing in my neck of the woods during the 2018 season.

1 hour ago, jonathantullos said:

Some other thoughts about the POE in general:

Mostly, it seems like common sense. One thing I noticed about more senior officials in my association was they would remind the coaches of the POE during the plate conference so I began to take on the same practice. I anticipate more of the same this year.

We don't have much trouble with the jewelry ban here but I've heard of some schools in other regions (mainly larger ones) where supposedly this has been a problem. I have never seen an anthem standoff at a high school game but we all know what happens when such a thing becomes an issue at higher levels. The taunting is more of an issue than anything but, thankfully, not a very large one. 

Bottom line: A simple reminder seemed to do the trick and I don't foresee that changing in my neck of the woods during the 2018 season.

I hope you/they are not discussing every POE at your plate conferences. 

4 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

I hope you/they are not discussing every POE at your plate conferences. 

Not in detail, just a quick reminder. Something along the lines of, "Don't forget that we are really watching any sort of taunting, that no jewelry is to be worn by any player, and we will be watching the pitcher closely." Coaches reading the rulebook is just as much an expectation for them as it is for us so we tend to assume that they have at least skimmed it.

Your quick reminder almost seems like a warning.  Don't warn at the plate meeting.  Don't bring up things that haven't happened, yet.

Legal requirements ("players properly equipped"), sportsmanship, lineups and ground rules, let's play.

21 hours ago, Umpire in Chief said:

In some regards I agree to keep it simple. However if I remember correctly (and I haven't worked HS in NC in many years) they were requiring us to cover sportsmanship. So in some cases it may be a requirement.

This is how I handle "sportsmanship" at the plate meeting.  "Gentlemen, I'm required to mention sportsmanship at the plate meeting.  I've just done it.  Coach take us around (with the ground rules)."

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

We still have to give the whole speech...

"There will be no tolerance for negative statements or actions between opposing players and coaches.  This includes Taunting, Baiting, Berating Opponents, Trash-Talking or actions which ridicule or cause embarrassment to them.  Any Verbal, Written or Physical Conduct related to Race, Gender, Ethnicity, Disability, Sexual Orientation or Religion shall NOT be tolerated, could subject the violator to Ejection, and may result in Penalties being assessed against your Team.  If such comments are heard a penalty will be assessed immediately.  We have been instructed not to issue warnings.  It is Your responsibility (Coaches and Captains) to remind your team of this Policy."

57 minutes ago, Richvee said:

We still have to give the whole speech...

"There will be no tolerance for negative statements or actions between opposing players and coaches.  This includes Taunting, Baiting, Berating Opponents, Trash-Talking or actions which ridicule or cause embarrassment to them.  Any Verbal, Written or Physical Conduct related to Race, Gender, Ethnicity, Disability, Sexual Orientation or Religion shall NOT be tolerated, could subject the violator to Ejection, and may result in Penalties being assessed against your Team.  If such comments are heard a penalty will be assessed immediately.  We have been instructed not to issue warnings.  It is Your responsibility (Coaches and Captains) to remind your team of this Policy."

I'm only aware of 4-1-3:

"a. The umpire-in-chief shall emphasize to both head coaches and captains that all participants are expected to exhibit good sporting behavior throughout the game(s)."

Is that a NJ authored speech?

And here is the Pennsylvania (PIAA) reading requirement:

"PIAA requires all registered sports' officials to enforce the sportsmanship rules for coaches and contestants. Actions meant to demean opposing contestants, teams, spectators and officials are not in the highest ideals of interscholastic education and will not be tolerated. Let today's contest reflect mutual respect. Coaches please certify to the contest official(s) that your contestants are legally equipped and uniformed according to NFHS rules and PIAA adoptions. Good luck in today's contest."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1