Erasing the catchers box...

stl_ump
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2331 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, stl_ump said:

It was either Game 5 or 6 but just before the MGRs came out they were showing a shot from behind home plate (from the stands area) and the plate umpire was "erasing" the catcher's box.

Why?

Thanks

Maybe he had a long memory and remembered this:

But more likely, with the automatic walk, the box is not relevant. Except to judging where pitches are at.

On 11/1/2017 at 10:18 PM, Jimurray said:

Maybe he had a long memory and remembered this:

But more likely, with the automatic walk, the box is not relevant. Except to judging where pitches are at.

So, why does lawump say they do this, either from hearing or learning about it from the school, or when he was working MiLB on the field, if he actually did or did not do the above with the lines. This is not condoning or discondoning the practice, or saying it is either legal or illegal, or should or should not be done at all.

I'm not lawump, but I didn't learn this at pro school (and don't do it).

I'd guess it's just an idiosyncratic preference. He might be a former F2: F2's clear those lines pretty routinely, the way many batters clear away the batter's box lines (but we know the boxes are both still there, even with no lines, right?).

Pulled a shot from my DVR. Game 6, Iassogna erased the back part of the box, left about a foot or two of the lines connecting to the batters boxes. Maybe he didn't want chalk messing up his shoe shine. But, the next day, game 7, the batter's and catcher's box lines were about 1" wide instead of game 6's 4" wide lines. They also may have gone to paint instead of chalk.

ps, why do i have to rotate jpegs 90 ccw to get them upright in post?

game 6.JPG