Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Guest Chayim Phillips

Coming to Set or Windup, but Not on Rubber

Question

Guest Chayim Phillips

Under the Official Baseball Rules, is it a balk if the pitcher is not on the rubber when he comes to the Set or Windup Position with the ball in his possession?  While I can find specific coverage on this in NFHS and NCAA rules, I can find nothing on this question for the Official Baseball Rules.  If it is, please provide me the ruling or interpretation that says it is, or maybe it is not.

7 answers to this question

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

The rule in OBR is the same as FED and NCAA.

That said, we don't want to go fishing for this call.

8 hours ago, Guest Chayim Phillips said:

Under the Official Baseball Rules, is it a balk if the pitcher is not on the rubber when he comes to the Set or Windup Position with the ball in his possession?

F1 can stand facing the batter with his hands together while he is off the rubber, and it might look like he's ready to wind up. He can stand as if he were in the set position and be off the rubber (assuming he has the ball). Since F1's position is dictated by his feet not his actions, some newer umpires might think these positions are prohibited by rule. They are not.

What the rule prohibits is the NEXT act: in the "windup" a rocker step, "pump," or "rotation" is illegal while off the rubber. In the set, making the preliminary motion to come set is illegal while off the rubber.

2 hours ago, johnpatrick said:

6.02  (7) The pitcher makes any motion naturally associated with
his pitch while he is not touching the pitcher’s plate;

But just standing there is not making a pitching motion.

Guest Chayim Phillips

With the answers I received here and elsewhere, I asked this question of MiLBUD and received this answer from  Dusty Dellinger, Director, Umpire Development:

"The pitcher only must be in contact when (1) taking his signs from the catcher (2) making his motion to delivery."  He then cited Official Rule 5.07 (a)

My Comment:  From the the second part of his answer, it's only a balk when the pitcher makes his actual move to deliver whether from the windup or the set.   

2 minutes ago, Guest Chayim Phillips said:

With the answers I received here and elsewhere, I asked this question of MiLBUD and received this answer from  Dusty Dellinger, Director, Umpire Development:

"The pitcher only must be in contact when (1) taking his signs from the catcher (2) making his motion to delivery."  He then cited Official Rule 5.07 (a)

My Comment:  From the the second part of his answer, it's only a balk when the pitcher makes his actual move to deliver whether from the windup or the set.   

I remember a FB discussion where I pointed this out. Of course, no one wanted to believe me...

Coming set is not a part of something associated with a pitch, because a pitcher can do other things from the set.

6 hours ago, Matt said:

I remember a FB discussion where I pointed this out. Of course, no one wanted to believe me...

Coming set is not a part of something associated with a pitch, because a pitcher can do other things from the set.

So once a pitcher simulates coming set off the rubber. What actions would be a balk? Breaking hands without stepping to a base - balk, stepping on the rubber with hands together - do not do that, breaking hands while stepping to a base - nothing?

19 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

So once a pitcher simulates coming set off the rubber. What actions would be a balk? Breaking hands without stepping to a base - balk, stepping on the rubber with hands together - do not do that, breaking hands while stepping to a base - nothing?

What do the rules say he can't do off of the rubber? Pretty much one thing...start a motion to the plate.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.