Correa HR

Jimurray
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2348 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

After review HR. Ball appeared to hit kids glove thumb outside the perpendicular extension of the front of the green padding.  No spectator interference even though some of the glove was over the playing field. But suppose the ball hit the part of the glove that was inside the playing field? I think a HR could still be awarded due to the trajectory of the ball. Seems as though Judge could had more of an effort to get his glove on the ball and then who knows what controversy would ensue. 

9 minutes ago, Richvee said:

HR. Kid's glove was on top of the wall. Even as a Yankee fan I can't argue the HR. More interesting I thought was Correa popping up in front of Dee Dee's relay throw home in the 9th.

Even if Correa had been out due to a catch that would be normal baserunning unless you perceived intent. His actions after the pop up seemed to be trying to duck. I wouldn’t have intent. 

1 minute ago, Jimurray said:

Even if Correa had been out due to a catch that would be normal baserunning unless you perceived intent. His actions after the pop up seemed to be trying to duck. I wouldn’t have intent. 

Agreed.

8 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

Oh, I agree. Not INT by rule. Just a strange situation. You can't say it didn't effect Dee Dee's throw. Blame goes to Judge for missing the cutoff, and Sanchez just isn't a great defensive F2, except for his arm..

11 hours ago, Richvee said:

Sanchez just isn't a great defensive F2, except for his arm..

At best an understatement.

I heard some one on the radio call him a catcher in training yesterday and that is probably the best way to describe him. His mechanics are shaky and he seems to continue to do the same things without making any progress.

Last week when everyone else was whining about his inability to block the 58 foot curve balls Sonny Gray was peppering him with, I saw something completely different that truly signifies that Gary Sanchez is the Yankees (or perhaps another team's) Edgar Martinez of the future.

He sticks pitches that are nowhere close to being strikes throughout the game. I watched much of the game yesterday and saw at least 5 or 6 times when he held pitches for an inordinately long time that were clearly not strikes. I expect this from catchers who work with amateur umpires whose command of the strike zone is sometimes inconsistent. Sanchez is working with the best.

Some one in the organization - perhaps Girardi?_ should be able to see the same thing I see.

9 hours ago, Kevin_K said:

At best an understatement.

I heard some one on the radio call him a catcher in training yesterday and that is probably the best way to describe him. His mechanics are shaky and he seems to continue to do the same things without making any progress.

Last week when everyone else was whining about his inability to block the 58 foot curve balls Sonny Gray was peppering him with, I saw something completely different that truly signifies that Gary Sanchez is the Yankees (or perhaps another team's) Edgar Martinez of the future.

He sticks pitches that are nowhere close to being strikes throughout the game. I watched much of the game yesterday and saw at least 5 or 6 times when he held pitches for an inordinately long time that were clearly not strikes. I expect this from catchers who work with amateur umpires whose command of the strike zone is sometimes inconsistent. Sanchez is working with the best.

Some one in the organization - perhaps Girardi?_ should be able to see the same thing I see.

Couldn't agree more about his "framing". I wouldn't even call it framing.  He yanks the mitt like a little leaguer. The way the Yankees DH's have hit in the postseason, I don't know why Joe hasn't gone with Romine behind the plate and Sanchez at is position of the future...DH. 

On 10/14/2017 at 7:09 PM, Richvee said:

HR. Kid's glove was on top of the wall. Even as a Yankee fan I can't argue the HR. More interesting I thought was Correa popping up in front of Dee Dee's relay throw home in the 9th.

This still doesn't make up for REAL reason that MLB instituted IR review ... haw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVNlvnsQ828