American Legion Rule Changes

lawump
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2289 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

In addition to making some tweaks to the pitch-count rule and minimum days of rest for pitchers, the American Legion has announced that it is going to 7-inning games (for Senior Legion...junio legion already had 7-inning games) beginning in 2018.  

This is kind of a historic moment...as far as I know...as Legion was the last national youth baseball entity to holdout and maintain the traditional 9-inning game length.  

To be honest, I knew this was coming.  When rain forced officials to shorten most games in the 2017 World Series this past August to 7-innings, the buzz was floating through the Legion officials about, "how much better the pace of play was," and "how much easier it was to manage the pitch count restrictions," etc.  I think once the non-baseball Legionnaires saw for themselves that the "their game" would not be ruined by 7-inning games (but, in fact, made better), I knew it was only a matter of time before they changed this rule. 

On a personal note, I can now add to my resume that I umpired the very last regularly scheduled 9-inning game in 92-year history of Legion baseball.

1 hour ago, lawump said:

On a personal note, I can now add to my resume that I umpired the very last regularly scheduled 9-inning game in 92-year history of Legion baseball.

That actually is a kind of cool designation...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, lawump said:

And from that recent realistic tournament photograph that was finally provided, you were obviously in the first regularly scheduled 9-inning game in the 92-year history of Legion baseball. Well you know what they say, 92 is the new 50.

• Haha 1

I also have some mixed feelings about the 7 inning games.  It is nice to have a 9 inning game with two good teams playing - a 7 inning game can feel pretty short and a mistake or two can really bury you.  On the other hand, trying to run a tournament where you're playing four 9 inning games in one day can get long, especially if there are any delays whatsoever.  Those loser-out games between teams with no pitching left can be pretty brutal having to go 9 innings as well.  Overall I think the change is a good one.  It will also allow some of the teams from smaller towns to have a little more of a chance as the pitching demands won't be quite so great.  Having to play four or five 9 inning games in 4 or 5 days really wears down a pitching staff.  

With the pitch count, am I right that if you throw more than 80 pitches on a Wednesday you can't throw at all until Monday?  I'm all for protecting arms but that seems a little much to me.  

On 10/13/2017 at 8:37 AM, noumpere said:

"The game is so much better when we only have to see lawump for seven innings."  ;)

But, since he seems like a nice guy of outstanding character, if he can keep the POG like he did in game 6 of the tournament, I would gladly be willing to watch him a full 9 innings all year long.

Now, let's see when they go to 5 inning games somewhere, which would give pitchers a great chance to get complete game victories not only in Legion, but in many more organizations that play baseball.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

As I said earlier, we've played seven innings in league play for as long as I can recall--thankfully! Even with seven inning games, pitch counts and rest days create havoc, as no one has enough quality (or even semi-quality) pitching when the schedule backs up because of weather or other postponements. Nine innings would only exacerbate the problem.

12 hours ago, LRZ said:

As I said earlier, we've played seven innings in league play for as long as I can recall--thankfully! Even with seven inning games, pitch counts and rest days create havoc, as no one has enough quality (or even semi-quality) pitching when the schedule backs up because of weather or other postponements. Nine innings would only exacerbate the problem.

Would opening up roster sizes to 20-25 help? 

9 hours ago, Matt said:

I'd be willing to bet that if there are arms out there that want to play, they're already on the roster.

I know when I coached Legion... with 18 guys, if you couldn’t play another position it was difficult for me to keep a P.O.