Unsportsmanlike conduct and my

Birdman6200
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2371 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Working a college fall ball doubleheader btwn 2 northeast 10 teams last weekend. 2 man system. Partner went out on a double and I took the runner into 2nd base. As the ball is thrown back in the runner turns to his dugout and makes a lewd gesture swinging his arm between his legs. I admonish him, and warn him another act like that will get him ejected. He doesn't seem fazed by the warning, but nothing further comes after.

When I got back to the plate the catcher made a comment to the next batter 'first double he's ever hit?' I told the catcher it's alright I handled it'

My question is, could I have handled the situation better?  This being a fall game, would an act like this get him thrown out of a regular season game?  3rd year on the college board and not too experienced on these plays. Is doing nothing contributing to a situation later in the game?  Any rules that cover this?  Similar experiences?

I can't tell you if the lewd gesture is enough for a warning for an ejection or anything....especially since it was directed to his team, not at the other.  I just don't know.

IMO the comment to the catcher was unnecessary and over-reaching.  This could actually just be banter between two people who know each other well.  Or it could be standard chirping that goes on in games.  No need to insert yourself at this point.  Stay out of it.  The warning was one thing, that may or may not be borderline.  Combined now with the comment to the catcher you just look like you're trying to tell everyone who's boss.

1 hour ago, Birdman6200 said:

Working a college fall ball doubleheader btwn 2 northeast 10 teams last weekend. 2 man system. Partner went out on a double and I took the runner into 2nd base. As the ball is thrown back in the runner turns to his dugout and makes a lewd gesture swinging his arm between his legs. I admonish him, and warn him another act like that will get him ejected. He doesn't seem fazed by the warning, but nothing further comes after.

When I got back to the plate the catcher made a comment to the next batter 'first double he's ever hit?' 

My question is, could I have handled the situation better?  This being a fall game, would an act like this get him thrown out of a regular season game?  3rd year on the college board and not too experienced on these plays. Is doing nothing contributing to a situation later in the game?  Any rules that cover this?  Similar experiences?

If he wasn't HBP later in the game you handled it correctly.

1 hour ago, beerguy55 said:

I can't tell you if the lewd gesture is enough for a warning for an ejection or anything....especially since it was directed to his team, not at the other.  I just don't know.

IMO the comment to the catcher was unnecessary and over-reaching.  This could actually just be banter between two people who know each other well.  Or it could be standard chirping that goes on in games.  No need to insert yourself at this point.  Stay out of it.  The warning was one thing, that may or may not be borderline.  Combined now with the comment to the catcher you just look like you're trying to tell everyone who's boss.

re-read the OP,  the catcher made the comment to the next batter - Birdman didn't say anything

When I got back to the plate the catcher made a comment to the next batter 'first double he's ever hit?' 

1 hour ago, Birdman6200 said:

The new fad in college is these little celebrations on a double. This was a player swinging his hand between his legs like he's hanging low. When does it cross the line?

I'd say a line would be if the player is gesturing to the opposing dugout after an extra base hit, but I've never really seen that. I'm far from a college umpire, but I would say to let it go if it's directed towards their own dugout.

1 hour ago, stkjock said:

re-read the OP,  the catcher made the comment to the next batter - Birdman didn't say anything

Really classy on the OP.  He edited to remove a comment he made to the catcher which was stepping forward and telling the catcher "I've already dealt with it"

It's one thing to edit for clarification or grammar, but to change the content of your post...especially after someone has responded to it...I thought we'd figured out message board etiquette 20 years ago.

23 hours ago, noumpere said:

I disagree with beerguy-- a quiet word to the catcher helps address this small problem in a small way that (could) prevents having to address a big problem in a big way.

I defer to your experience on this.  My only thought is to see how/if the batter responds to determine if there's an escalation to prevent.

As a coach/player, I'd rather an umpire come to the party late than early...let some banter/chirping go before intervening, at the risk of the occasional accelerated escalation to madness.

But you've probably seen nothing turn to something, at the drop of a hat, a lot more than I have.

Beerguy I did change the original post then corrected myself based on the recounting of the events. I did say something to the catcher and there wasn't a negative reaction to that.

I made this post not to discuss whether or not I prevented a fight, but to discuss the repercussions for the player?  

I had something somewhat simular. But it was a 3BC (also HC) being displeased with a strike three I called. R1 was stealing at it was a 3-2 count. F2 caught the ball and hesitated because he didn't have a handle on it, and thus did not make a throw to second.

3BC complained that "F2 didn't think it was a strike either." To which he started yelling back that "he knew it was."

I told the 3BC that it was a good pitch. Then told F2 to stop jawing at the coach.

Nothing came of it and no more was said.

7 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

I had something somewhat simular. But it was a 3BC (also HC) being displeased with a strike three I called. R1 was stealing at it was a 3-2 count. F2 caught the ball and hesitated because he didn't have a handle on it, and thus did not make a throw to second.

3BC complained that "F2 didn't think it was a strike either." To which he started yelling back that "he knew it was."

I told the 3BC that it was a good pitch. Then told F2 to stop jawing at the coach.

Nothing came of it and no more was said.

"F2 didn't think it was a strike either" 

Who cares what he thinks?