Just Cancel the Game

Umpire in Chief
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2394 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I sit here under a Tropical Storm Warning until 7:30 PM as whats left of Maria is 150-200 miles off the coast. We've had intermittent rain and decent wind. I'm sure the worst of it has passed however, according to the weather channel we are currently getting sustained winds of 25+ MPH with gusts of over 40. By 6:00 game time they're calling for sustained winds of 20 MPH and gusts of 30+ MPH. 

You know we're not going to play in this, why wait to cancel?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, LRZ said:

Maybe they did, but neglected to let you know: "Oh, did anyone contact the umpires?" "Nah...."

Been there more than once. Twice this summer. Both nice days. Both times my partner and I were the only 2 people at the field. :tantrum:

9 minutes ago, Richvee said:

Been there more than once. Twice this summer. Both nice days. Both times my partner and I were the only 2 people at the field. :tantrum:

Last game of the high school year, my partner and I were the lucky ones. No contact info for schools in Arbiter. Assigner had no clue it was canceled. We waited till 15 mins after game time, so we stood in this small lot in Gary IN, watching our 6 for an hour.

It's finally been cancelled, but it was obvious yesterday we wouldn't be playing. 

I do have to say while I have had a few occasions where games have been cancelled and no one tells me, around here overall they are very good about letting us know. 

22 minutes ago, Umpire in Chief said:

It's finally been cancelled, but it was obvious yesterday we wouldn't be playing. 

I do have to say while I have had a few occasions where games have been cancelled and no one tells me, around here overall they are very good about letting us know. 

I agree there. With all the rain and snow we had in the spring, there were plenty of changes/cancellations, and I was informed every time. The annoying thing was, the two no-shows I had this year were both nice days. One was because one team didn't have enough guys, (Manager notified the other team, neither bothered to tell us)the other was an unplayable field from a scattered thunderstorm the night before.