Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Sign in to follow this  
stkjock

Walk off run with "unauthorized" player on field

Question

Had a friend pose this question to me and I don't know and cannot find a answer in OBR after searching.

R3, ball hit into outfield for clean single, BR touches first, as R3 comes down the line, players from the 3B dugout come running on the field, one crosses into fair territory just before R3 scores.  The player was maybe 1-2' onto the field when he stopped as he realized he probably shouldn't have been there, he did not interfere at all, the throw comes home well after R3 scores and well up 1B line.

so the question is, is there any penalty for the wining team with the player on the field before he should have been?  my guess based on my understanding of the rules, is that this is more of a "don't do that" thing.

Thanks all.

3 answers to this question

1 hour ago, stkjock said:

Had a friend pose this question to me and I don't know and cannot find a answer in OBR after searching.

R3, ball hit into outfield for clean single, BR touches first, as R3 comes down the line, players from the 3B dugout come running on the field, one crosses into fair territory just before R3 scores.  The player was maybe 1-2' onto the field when he stopped as he realized he probably shouldn't have been there, he did not interfere at all, the throw comes home well after R3 scores and well up 1B line.

so the question is, is there any penalty for the wining team with the player on the field before he should have been?  my guess based on my understanding of the rules, is that this is more of a "don't do that" thing.

Thanks all.

No penalty.

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

so the question is, is there any penalty for the wining team with the player on the field before he should have been?  

Not in the case stated in the OP.

NFHS 3-3-1. A coach, player, substitute, attendant or other bench personnel shall not:

a. leave the dugout during a live ball for an unauthorized purpose;

PENALTY:  At the end of playing action, the umpire shall issue a warning to the coach of the team involved and the next offender on that team shall be ejected. In (b), it is also obstruction (8-3-2).

my guess based on my understanding of the rules, is that this is more of a "don't do that" thing.

Good guess.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this