Force Play

Guest IAmMako
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2378 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

So I have a situation that happened in a game I was umpiring in today and I am still not sure if I made the right call. Here is the situation: Runners on first and third, 1 out, ball is hit to the right fielder as a pop fly and is caught. 1st base forgets to tag up, 3rd tags up and runs home. By the time the first base runner realizes he needs to tag up the ball is waiting for him and he is out, but the runner from 3rd scored before the out. Does the run count or no? I ruled it as no run scored due to the force out.

3 answers to this question

57 minutes ago, Guest IAmMako said:

Runners on first and third, 1 out, ball is hit to the right fielder as a pop fly and is caught. 

Two outs.  This out of the BR (batter-runner) broke the sequence of runners so there is no chance for a subsequent "force out."

57 minutes ago, Guest IAmMako said:

1st base forgets to tag up, 3rd tags up and runs home. By the time the first base runner realizes he needs to tag up the ball is waiting for him and he is out, but the runner from 3rd scored before the out. 

Three outs.  This out on R1 (runner who started at 1B) is a "time" play (actually an appeal by the defense that R1 failed to re-touch 1B after the BR's fly ball was first touched) and, because it's the third out of that half-inning, no run may score after the "time" that it occurred. 

59 minutes ago, Guest IAmMako said:

Does the run count or no? I ruled it as no run scored due to the force out.

Yes, because R3 (runner who started at 3B) touched home plate BEFORE the precise time that the defense successfully appealed R1 failed to re-touch 1B. 

4 hours ago, Guest IAmMako said:

So I have a situation that happened in a game I was umpiring in today and I am still not sure if I made the right call. Here is the situation: Runners on first and third, 1 out, ball is hit to the right fielder as a pop fly and is caught. 1st base forgets to tag up, 3rd tags up and runs home. By the time the first base runner realizes he needs to tag up the ball is waiting for him and he is out, but the runner from 3rd scored before the out. Does the run count or no? I ruled it as no run scored due to the force out.

Failure to tag is NOT a force play. NOT. You can NEVER be forced to retreat.

It is an appeal play. The out happens at the time of the appeal.  Anything that happened before that time is valid.

I really need to make a macro that types out the answer to this question with a single key binding....

The OP has been umpiring his whole career (however long that may be) based on this common myth regarding "force plays" (that it's a "force" if the fielder can tag the base instead of the runner—NOT the definition). I hope it occurs to him to wonder how many more common myths he is using, instead of learning the actual rules.

• Like 2