TCU - NC State balk

jms1425
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2254 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I agree. I've got nothing.  The hand wiping on the pant leg before coming set is awkward, but not a visible violation.  Ballsy call in this type of situation and very surprising a 4-man crew in a Regional Final does not get together on this one.  

3 hours ago, humanbackstop19 said:

very surprising a 4-man crew in a Regional Final does not get together on this one

I'm not sure it is surprising. U3 evidently had enough to rule a balk. What would the discussion be, "are you sure?" That's not a reason to get together. Umpires at this level know what NCAA wants balked, so there's no rule/interpretation issue, and there's no point discussing judgment.

2 hours ago, noumpere said:

Maybe he didn't clear the rubber when stepping off

Maybe, but that's awfully tight. If NCAA guidance on borderline F1 actions is the same as OBR, we'd consider advantage/disadvantage to rule on it. There's no disadvantage here.

The camera angles provided don't show the kind of obvious act we'd expect to be balked in such a situation. U3 must have something from his angle that we can't see. I'm 100% he didn't make this up.

Man, I gotta be honest, even looking for the front leg moving at 1:07, I don't see squat. Is it because he wiped his pitching hand on his pants then went straight to the ball just before comes set (and all before he steps off)?

I just don't see anything here.

• 4 months later...

The only thing I can find is a possible twitch/flinch in the hands at :11-12 that perhaps is more visible to the calling ump than anyone, particularly live. Video is a bit distant for us. Could've been very clear to him, while not even visible to his partners.