NB base shoes

HCueds
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2282 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

3 hours ago, Bloodhound1042 said:

I have to say that they are pretty good looking shoes.  I have the older NB's in the all black and they lasted me a long time.  I recently switched to the UA's since I knew a few guys that had them but I may switch to these depending on the price. Are there any official reviews out yet on them?

2 hours ago, HCueds said:

All I’ve heard so far is that they’re pretty narrow. 

1 hour ago, BT_Blue said:

Which would be REALLY out of character for New Balance. 

I got feedback on them in person this weekend. A 1BC was wearing the Elements version, and I instantly recognized them. I would have remarked on them anyway, because they are quite snazzy looking. His opinions on them were that the shoes are very lightweight, comfortable once broken in, but do run narrow and a bit tight in the toe box.

It may be out of character for New Balance, but keep in mind, they might be trying a new last for this model; also, New Balance makes (nearly) all their shoes in variable widths.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I ordered a pair in my size and 2E width.  I received them yesterday and they look GREAT!  However, beware!  They are very, very narrow.  I returned them, free of charge (thanks Ump-attire) and asked if they had anything wider.  The answer was no, unfortunately.  Just an FYI.

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, catsbackr said:

I ordered a pair in my size and 2E width.  I received them yesterday and they look GREAT!  However, beware!  They are very, very narrow.  I returned them, free of charge (thanks Ump-attire) and asked if they had anything wider.  The answer was no, unfortunately.  Just and FYI.

So, the 2e in your regular size is narrow?  Wonder if it would work for a little longer length?

17 hours ago, catsbackr said:

I ordered a pair in my size and 2E width.  I received them yesterday and they look GREAT!  However, beware!  They are very, very narrow.  I returned them, free of charge (thanks Ump-attire) and asked if they had anything wider.  The answer was no, unfortunately.  Just and FYI.

New Balance informed us last week that this shoe will NOT be made in a 4E like the others. Some people have returned the shoes to go to a 2E but not a lot. More people have relayed to us that they LOVE the shoe. 

As with anything, personal preference is the key. With FREE RETURNS, you can't go wrong at our place. We bring OUR store to YOUR living room. Order the D and 2E, try them on at home and return what you don't want. We'll pay for the shipping.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Under Armour AND Adidas BOTH fit me well and I'm a D width shoe. I LOVE New Balance, LOVE the Under Armour shoes and I'm a big fan of the Adidas. As Jim will attest, I'm a HUGE Under Armour fan. I love the logo, I love their products and I've worn Under Armour shoes before we started carrying our current stock of Under Armour. However, I KNOW New Balance is the savior when it comes to making GREAT shoes in 2E and 4E widths. The New Balance shoe looks great and MLB umpires wouldn't endorse it if it hurt their feet. 

I went to NB site, got froggy, loved the look of the shoes and went to the customized version because I did not like the white on the side/bottom between the shoe and sole and thought a silver N logo would look cooler than the white.  Justification for spending $150 on base shoes:  I haven't purchased new base shoes for several years.  I still wear some awesome Puma Cell low cuts in full leather with white stripes I bought brand new, in-the-box from @Scott K 's professional umpire retirement surplus sale when he was coming off his AAA/MLB fill-in days and joining the college umpiring ranks in the now defunct SIUA(Southeast Independent Umpires Association) in Louisville, Kentucky waaaaay back in 2009   (Thanks Scott!  Still LOVE those shoes).  But, I need mid-cut on natural grass fields because I have very tender (read weak, girly) ankles from my youth and high school days.  (over 20 separate ankle sprains from age 13 to 25 or so). 

Tell me what you think about these please. (still awaiting delivery). I know, I know.....way too expensive.  But I learned a long time ago to NEVER CHEAT YOUR FEET!

NB4040MidCustomPic.PNG

• Like 3

On 12/29/2017 at 12:58 PM, Majordave said:

I went to NB site, got froggy, loved the look of the shoes and went to the customized version because I did not like the white on the side/bottom between the shoe and sole and thought a silver N logo would look cooler than the white.  Justification for spending $150 on base shoes:  I haven't purchased new base shoes for several years.  I still wear some awesome Puma Cell low cuts in full leather with white stripes I bought brand new, in-the-box from @Scott K 's professional umpire retirement surplus sale when he was coming off his AAA/MLB fill-in days and joining the college umpiring ranks in the now defunct SIUA(Southeast Independent Umpires Association) in Louisville, Kentucky waaaaay back in 2009   (Thanks Scott!  Still LOVE those shoes).  But, I need mid-cut on natural grass fields because I have very tender (read weak, girly) ankles from my youth and high school days.  (over 20 separate ankle sprains from age 13 to 25 or so). 

Tell me what you think about these please. (still awaiting delivery). I know, I know.....way too expensive.  But I learned a long time ago to NEVER CHEAT YOUR FEET!

NB4040MidCustomPic.PNG

you-got-your-socks.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

No socks but my new Shoes arrived Friday Lieutenant Dan. Pretty nice. Fit is true. Reasonably lightweight. Love the look. Have a “lace cage” in the tongue to hold the loose ends of the laces after tying. Never seen that in a New Balance shoe before. Interesting small holes in soles- for ventilation perhaps?  I took advantage of the customization feature and put my number on the back instead of the NB logo. They are worth the price at this point in the purchase process. 

A36390A7-690D-4A40-9864-C2D75BD313E3.jpeg

FD2A552E-7CE6-49B4-AC96-027A20F0D23D.jpeg

E5578890-4FC5-4216-B206-88D16CCAEBA6.jpeg

2718326E-099D-45FF-9875-DAFC5AAE6715.jpeg

0F73D330-7D3F-4511-AB6B-88B9DBAF214E.jpeg