Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
jonathantullos

Qualifications

For those who are currently working in the collegiate ranks, I'm curious what the qualifications - both generally and specific to your association - are to get your foot in the door. HS experience? Umpire school? A minimum score on the test? Body shape (I only ask because I'm currently a big fella... I'm working on it but just trying to get an idea of what to shoot for if I hope to do some college stuff)?

Thanks all!

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

For college ball around here: There's a lot, D1-3, within about 150 miles. Midweek availability and willingness to drive are essential (and, for some conferences, sufficient).

To advance, you need to go to clinics to improve and be noticed by assigners.

Specific assigners will have additional criteria, some they will tell anyone who asks, some you have to grok from their staff (if, say, they have a BMI limit). Higher levels can be and are pickier.

I'm curious: why do you want to work college? In my area, good HS baseball is MUCH better than most D2-3 ball, in addition to being closer. I'll trade $75 or so (the difference in game fees) for a 3–4 hour round trip to work a crappy 9 inning game ANY day (and, in fact, do so every season).

9 minutes ago, maven said:

For college ball around here: There's a lot, D1-3, within about 150 miles. Midweek availability and willingness to drive are essential (and, for some conferences, sufficient).

To advance, you need to go to clinics to improve and be noticed by assigners.

Specific assigners will have additional criteria, some they will tell anyone who asks, some you have to grok from their staff (if, say, they have a BMI limit). Higher levels can be and are pickier.

I'm curious: why do you want to work college? In my area, good HS baseball is MUCH better than most D2-3 ball, in addition to being closer. I'll trade $75 or so (the difference in game fees) for a 3–4 hour round trip to work a crappy 9 inning game ANY day (and, in fact, do so every season).

I don't want to make a career out of it; high school will always be my primary level. But if I could do some college occasionally, like weekday games or some JUCO (more likely to do that if/when I move back to Mississippi), I would be OK with that. It's mainly to have the experience of doing it.

I know in my area there are are good amount of D-2,D-3, JUCO that in certain times they have to use a warm body that is available based on weekday availability, games that day, etc.  From my first year in college what I found was that if you show you can move, present yourself professionally, and call a consistent game and understand how to manage the coaches, assigners will find you.

In terms of the weight.....I am a bigger guy myself.  I lost 40 lbs and still have a long way to go.  I know what things are holding me back becasue of my weight, but I know in the two college assoc. I am in there are guys much larger than I am that still get conference games and have a good schedule. 

I think if you show an interest in working hard and always wanting to get better, your weight issue won't be one until you try and move to higher levels.

• Like 1

Size is just like temperance, mobility, confidence, attitude, and rules knowledge when it comes to umpiring: it won't hold you back until it holds you back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Many collegiate assignors have try out camps where you can go to and they will get a look at you. It is a win - win even if you don't get picked up by the conference you get some excellent training. 

• Like 1

I'll echo the camp/clinic sentiment. In my area... availibilty, willingness to go anywhere, ability to call the NCAA zone  (or something near it), and willingness to improve through attendance at camps and clinics. In particular, ones instructed by NCAA umpires.

Here on the West Coast, that would include Black and Blue (Sacramento/Riverside), Men In Black (Orange County), and the Division 2 three man camp (Phoenix).

Your area would be camps like Mid American and ones run by United Umpire Group up and down the east coast. I'm sure there are others. But I am not out there. So I don't know.