Umpire

Guest Tom Murphy
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2407 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Guest Tom Murphy

Bases loaded, pitcher throws a pitch and its fouled off into the stands. The UMPIRE takes a ball and throws it to the pitcher that lazily tried to catch the ball, but flubs it towards third. The runner on third races home. Does the run count??  Also, would it be scored differently if the umpire had given the ball to the catcher, and the pitcher flubbed the catch??

5 answers to this question

Hm.

Hmmmmmm.

How much baseball have you watched? How much baseball have you played? ... Better yet, was this game being played in some remote, exotic locale that was introduced to baseball via a partially intact rulebook that washed up on shore?

The pitched ball you stated was fouled into the stands is dead. D-E-A-D. No subsequent activity can be valid until a replacement ball has been made live.

A replacement ball can only be made live by the ball being in the pitcher's possession – having gotten there from catcher, umpire, coach, aerial parachute team, a trained Golden Retiever or otherwise – and the pitcher re-engaging the rubber, batter back in the box ready to bat, and the umpire signaling "Play", thus making the ball live.

Nothing would be scored any differently, because no scoring occurred.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

No run. This question makes me remember why I'm not too keen on working wreck fall ball. The amount of times I've had runners try to score after the ball gets away from the pitcher following a foul. What's worse is the third base coach yelling "run run run it's a live ball". 

Years ago I was working a LL game and a batter fouled a ball into a dugout fence.  The catcher overthrew the pitcher on the return throw and the coaches had R1 "steal" 2nd.  I put the runner back on first and the offensive coaches questioned the decision. 

I explained that it was a foul ball it was a dead ball and runners can't advance.

Their response ---> "Since when?"

:banghead:

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, conbo61 said:

I explained that it was a foul ball it was a dead ball and runners can't advance.

Their response ---> "Since when?"

Your response:  "Since 15 seconds ago when it hit the bat and went outside the lines to the fence."

So not only for the players.....you have provided a "daddy coach" a teachable moment.

Let's face it, these coaches that you see in Williamsport generally know the rules.  How did they learn them you ask?  Most likely starting from 8 y/o wreck ball when an umpire began teaching them the rules...................