Weight Loss Group

JSam21
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2044 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

4 hours ago, GPblue said:

What group are you in with no logo on the lid?

I was working NAIA Non-con. I'm not a CBUA member and only had an NAIA hat. My partner only had a CBUA hat. So instead of wearing two different hats we just decided to wear blanks

51 minutes ago, GPblue said:

you look the part! thoughts on your games?

Was partnered with a former minor league umpire. My timing was quick in my plate games... slower in game 2 but still too quick. By the 4th game... it was just baseball with bigger and faster players. Enjoyed it a lot.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JSam21 said:

Was partnered with a former minor league umpire. My timing was quick in my plate games... slower in game 2 but still too quick. By the 4th game... it was just baseball with bigger and faster players. Enjoyed it a lot.

My second year in college. I can't speak to lots of experience, but what i have noticed in my short time, that for the most part it's game management is the key in the higher levels.  And slowing the game down.

Had my first games this weekend of the season, was NOT in anywhere near shape to be ready(as I sit here at my desk my legs are on fire and back is barking some fierce).  

Kudos to you for getting into a manageable spot and continue to work 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I am at 264 lbs.

I am only 5'9".

I can actually run and hustle very well , especially when being chased :)

I do have a gut.

My legs are thick and pure muscle from playing hockey as a goalie for years.

I tried fitbit, but went to running of the santas in philly  and hit my goal, by drinking beers all day because of my arm movement.

Goal is to get to 225 or 230....

It's rough. I drink lots of water, but sleep habits stink. 

Thoughts?

I am at 264 lbs.
I am only 5'9".
I can actually run and hustle very well , especially when being chased
I do have a gut.
My legs are thick and pure muscle from playing hockey as a goalie for years.
I tried fitbit, but went to running of the santas in philly  and hit my goal, by drinking beers all day because of my arm movement.
Goal is to get to 225 or 230....
It's rough. I drink lots of water, but sleep habits stink. 
Thoughts?
Clean up your sleep hygiene so you can recover from games and exercise. Drop the obvious and easy things from your diet, (soda, 2nd and third helpings, etc.). Start walking every day. The small simple things will get you on the path and as you approach your goals making other changes will be easier. Good luck, slow and steady will get you there.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LVUmp34 said:

Thoughts?

I can tell you what worked for me.

1) Stay well hydrated. That means with water, not soda or anything else sugary. Tea or coffee (unsweetened in both cases) are OK, but still make sure you get water. If you can't handle plain water, take what you like and dilute it, like 5-to-1 or more - I do this with orange juice.

2) If you look at the math of calories in vs calories out, you'll see that the only way to lose a significant amount of weight is to consume fewer calories. Let's say you spent an hour working out and burned an extra 500 calories (which is a pretty typical number for a fairly intense workout). Then you decided that you 'deserve' and extra cheeseburger. There goes that work. Getting exercise will certainly help with your metabolism and your sleep, but to lose weight, you need to eat less. I was really surprised when I started paying attention how much I ate because it was "time to eat" or "everybody else is eating" or "I don't want to be hungry later" (and I still, admittedly, do some of this). To do this

(a) Wait until you're actually hungry to eat. I don't eat breakfast anymore - because I've found that I'm not actually hungry in the mornings. I ate out of habit in the mornings and it was "normal". If I'm not well-hydrated, I feel hungry in the morning. Dehydration can feel like hunger.

(b) Slow down. Actually taste and enjoy your food. You'll feel full sooner and enjoy your meals more. If you're not enjoying your food, find different food - sure, going on an all-salad diet can help you cut out lots of calories, but if you don't like your food, you won't stick with it, and pretty soon you're back to eating all the things you know you shouldn't, but do anyway.

(c) If you're hungry enough to eat, you're hungry enough to eat a full meal. If you're not hungry enough for a full meal, you're not really hungry anyway - you're bored, or tired, or dehydrated. Cut out the snacking.

Reading through this sounds like I'm lecturing. I'm really trying not to. I spent several years knowing I was overweight, and kinda-sorta tried a few things (I mostly cut out soda many years ago). By applying these, I lost over 40 lbs and 5 inches from my waist in less than a year.

Good luck! And if you need more encouragement, there are lots of people on this forum (including myself) who will help cheerlead for you.

• Like 1

On 4/25/2018 at 12:29 PM, kylehutson said:

I can tell you what worked for me.

1) Stay well hydrated. That means with water, not soda or anything else sugary. Tea or coffee (unsweetened in both cases) are OK, but still make sure you get water. If you can't handle plain water, take what you like and dilute it, like 5-to-1 or more - I do this with orange juice.

2) If you look at the math of calories in vs calories out, you'll see that the only way to lose a significant amount of weight is to consume fewer calories. Let's say you spent an hour working out and burned an extra 500 calories (which is a pretty typical number for a fairly intense workout). Then you decided that you 'deserve' and extra cheeseburger. There goes that work. Getting exercise will certainly help with your metabolism and your sleep, but to lose weight, you need to eat less. I was really surprised when I started paying attention how much I ate because it was "time to eat" or "everybody else is eating" or "I don't want to be hungry later" (and I still, admittedly, do some of this). To do this

(a) Wait until you're actually hungry to eat. I don't eat breakfast anymore - because I've found that I'm not actually hungry in the mornings. I ate out of habit in the mornings and it was "normal". If I'm not well-hydrated, I feel hungry in the morning. Dehydration can feel like hunger.

(b) Slow down. Actually taste and enjoy your food. You'll feel full sooner and enjoy your meals more. If you're not enjoying your food, find different food - sure, going on an all-salad diet can help you cut out lots of calories, but if you don't like your food, you won't stick with it, and pretty soon you're back to eating all the things you know you shouldn't, but do anyway.

(c) If you're hungry enough to eat, you're hungry enough to eat a full meal. If you're not hungry enough for a full meal, you're not really hungry anyway - you're bored, or tired, or dehydrated. Cut out the snacking.

Reading through this sounds like I'm lecturing. I'm really trying not to. I spent several years knowing I was overweight, and kinda-sorta tried a few things (I mostly cut out soda many years ago). By applying these, I lost over 40 lbs and 5 inches from my waist in less than a year.

Good luck! And if you need more encouragement, there are lots of people on this forum (including myself) who will help cheerlead for you.

Thanks. I gave up soda for 11 years. Cheated a bit with some root beer this year. 

Lack of sleep from work.  8 hours in two nights this week not good.

I agree about hungry enough to eat a full meal vs bored or tired.  I have to work on that and stay more hydrated.

I always get dehydrated really fast.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

And if you are to believe the UmpCast podcast regarding Mid-American, someone impressed on someone!:rock

I wouldn’t say that persay. I think I showed that I was willing to work at the flaws that were pointed out to me last year. I’m just grateful for the opportunity to have the opportunity to possibly advance my career. Nothing is set in stone because I could totally mess the bed in two weeks but the whole point is I have to keep grinding. Again not saying I got a job, but it is much easier to get a job than it is to keep a job in college baseball, especially on a conference staff.

• Like 2