Weight Loss Group

JSam21
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2021 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

So coming out of the Mid-American Umpire Clinic, the biggest thing on my evals was Appearance/Weight that was going to keep me from college baseball. So I've made myself a goal of losing 50 lbs in the next 6 months. I do have a gym membership and have began to track my caloric intake with My Fitness Pal, trying to keep it between 1800-2000/day. What other steps would you guys suggest? Money is fairly tight for me so the $100+ a month supplement stacks are out for me. 

Also wanted to use this as kind of a support group for guys that are also trying to slim down for umpiring. Keep motivating each other and pushing each other to keep going. 

• Like 1

I'm no expert. Bought a bow flex Max trainer last year. I'm sure there's a similar machine at your gym.

20 minutes on this 3x a week gets the heart pumping and the sweat glands pouring.

As far as food, I've never been much for counting stuff. I just watch the carbs and sugar intake.it seems to work well. Stay away from the white bread, pasta, cereal, soda, bad snacks. Read labels. Lots of carbs = stay away.  Drink water. My go to flavored drink these days is Turkey Hill diet green tea. 0 carbs, zero sugar and I like the taste. Fruit and nuts for snacks.

I'm 6'0. I've gone from 240 to 210 in less than a year. Feel better too. Still have more to go, but it's working. Probably could have been better/faster results if I didn't "cheat".  I don't back away from a good Sunday lasagna with the family or a Friday night pizza.  I think if you're to strict you fall off the program easier. I've found personally that if I don't make the "program" difficult,  just attainable and livable, it's easier to maintain.

Good Luck!!

• Like 3

JSam:

MFP is a great place to start. Set your macros so you are high protein. I don't know how much you weight but I would not need to drop down to 1,800 calories until the last couple of weeks of a long cut. I'm a big proponent of lifting heavy to improve body composition. I'll also recommend the education and information you can get from the Muscle For Life site. PM me and I will offer you more specific suggestions.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

• Like 2

JSAM. I have the same evals from clinics, and from Jason as well. I need to get on this as well, not just for the opportunity to move up, but just to look and feel better on the field and in general no matter what level Im calling.

I'm right there with you. Myfitnesspal is a great little app. Ive used it a ton.

While I'm not in great shape I'm in better shape than I've been in years. My weight is steadily going down. I'm down almost 20 lbs in the last 6 months. While there are people who loose 20 lbs in 2-3 months that isn't my primary focus. My focus has been to get stronger, have better endurance and be more fit. Here's what I did at the start and now.

• Used Fitbit & My Fitness Pal to track and log my activities and eating
    • Now I must admit I'm not as good about logging my food as I was, but after a few months I got a good feel for what I was eating and how many calories I was taking in. Like Rich said counting stuff sucks--- but it works.
    • This said, I am more consistent with my weight loss when I actively track. 
    • I still enjoy my beer and ice cream (ice cream is my ultimate food weakness) but I am better able to moderate when I have the bad things.
    • Make smarter food choices. Includes basically eliminating fast food. But when eating on the go is a must make better choices. 
  • Be more active.
    • I did join Planet Fitness for a few months. I started out on fire going 5 days a week.- Then reality set in that and I was going less and less so I ended up cancelling. 
    • Take walks - My neighborhood is a figure 8 shaped with a 3rd loop within the bottom loop. The top loop is just short of 2 miles, the bottom loop is a perfect 3.2 mi (5k) and if I add the 3rd inner loop of the bottom loop that's another mile. I try to take the dogs when I do the 2-3 mile and they love it.
      • I think of all the time I waste on the couch watching TV and it makes me feel guilty and I sometime get up and take a walk.
  • Find an outdoor hobby or passion
    • Last year I got shamed into registering for the Tough Mudder - And I loved it. By the end of this year I will complete 6 obstacle course races. (4 down 2 to go - The Spartan is next Sunday in Fayetteville)
    • I also want to try kayaking 
    • Being active and outdoors benefits by not only being active but you won't pass by the fridge or pantry and eat unnecessarily.
  • Drink water
    • I spoke with a fitness nut friend of mine and SHE could bench press 2 of me. I told her I'm not ready to live in the gym but want to improve. She said:
      • Drink water a minimum of 64 oz a day but the more the better
      • Never drink calories 
      • Ditch sodas - even diet ones. 
      • Eat your veggies - get a wide variety bold colors in your veggies.
      • Avoid starches and carbs.
    • The never drink your calories has been a big eye opener to me, and yet it seems like pure common sense. 
  • Take the stairs vs elevator whenever possible 
  • Also try the Ease into 5K App
    • I'm not a runner, but this got me into decent running shape and has helped me build endurance. 
  • What I give the most credit to in my quest to be fit is Burpees. These will kick your ass no matter how fit you are. And you can do them anywhere. I highly recommend for getting into shape.
    • If you fail a Spartan obstacle you must do 30 burpees. ( I anticipate doing b/t 120 & 180 next Sunday)  
    • I am building my self up to do the pyramid and reverse pyramid 10 burpees (1min rest) 9 (1min rest)... then when you get to 1 you go back from 1 to 10. that's 110 burpees. You are a god among men if you can do that. I haven't been able to complete the 1st pyramid yet. I'm at 10-6 (40) before I'm beat.

Over the winter I'll obviously be somewhat less active, then I'm going to focus on calories and weight loss. One of my 2018 goals is to complete 8 OCR including the Spartan Trifecta (5 mi Spartan Sprint, 10 mi Super and 15 mile Beast) and Tough Mudder.

Best of luck!

• Like 3

Like others have said, changing your diet and drinking lots of water should make huge impact.   Another way to keep active, especially in the off-season, is to officiate another sport.  I officiate basketball and inline hockey.  I try to drink 80-100 ounces of water per day at minimum, have cut out sodas (even diet ones), and have severely reduced my beer intake.  Another program you might want to look at is called the Whole30.  I'm in the middle of my first round with it, and enjoy it.  A friend of mine lost 20lbs following that program in one month.  It focuses on whole foods, no grains, no dairy, and no added sugar. 

Eat less and move more. It's a simple formula that works wonderfully.
I agree this is the bases for weight loss. However there are many other considerations. Most likely what you are after is improved body composition. Eating too little and exercising too much can move you away from your goals. Eating the wrong foods for your energy needs can effect your health and well being while making it difficult to stick with a calorie deficit. On the other hand it is not difficult to learn a few simple things you need to do to lose fat and retain muscle.

• 2 weeks later...

Late to the posting party (sorry, been swamped the last few weeks). I've lost over 30 lbs in the last 5 months (and could easily be more if I was more strict about it) using a system sponsored by my employer called "Naturally Slim". It's not a product, it's a behavior. The essence of it is
- Drink lots of water (notice a recurring theme on this thread?)
- Slow down and enjoy your food - it takes me about 1/2 hour to eat a meal
- Don't snack. If you're hungry enough to eat, you're hungry enough to eat a full meal
- Listen to your body - don't eat if you're not hungry. I've stopped eating breakfast altogether, and sometimes don't eat lunch until midafternoon

Naturally, exercise helps, but doing the math, there's no way that exercise alone can make up for eating too much.

The science is settled that weight gain/loss is a matter of calories in vs calories expended, but this is a way that I'm consuming far fewer calories and not feeling like I'm depriving myself.

OK, and I need to throw this in here, too.

I've enjoy and appreciate everyone's posts about losing weight.

I have noticed that after you get 60 years of age, it becomes much harder to lose weight.  After working 8-9 hours a day, I find it hard to get motivated to go to Planet Fitness, etc. 

Deer season just opened here, I may take it upon myself to walk much more rather than riding in on a four wheeler.  

Please keep the suggestions coming.

• Like 1

I’ve been under 1800 cals for most days since I’ve started... I’ve yet to get on a scale but I can already tell that I’m losing weight. I’m almost in need of a new belt. Ive been doing a boot camp once a week which kick starts the weight loss.

I’ve been under 1800 cals for most days since I’ve started... I’ve yet to get on a scale but I can already tell that I’m losing weight. I’m almost in need of a new belt. Ive been doing a boot camp once a week which kick starts the weight loss.
I'd encourage you to think about body composition, not just weight. That means the mirror is more important then the scale. Also, if you don't include exercise in the plan it's difficult to retain muscle which burns calories. If you restriction calories too much you lose a higher % of muscle which can make it more difficult to continue to lose fat with the same # of calories. If you reduce your calories to about 20% below what your burning and you do strength training you'll lose fat and retain lean body mass. You'll look better, move better and overall be healthier.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/29/2017 at 11:59 PM, KenBAZ said:

I'd encourage you to think about body composition, not just weight. That means the mirror is more important then the scale. Also, if you don't include exercise in the plan it's difficult to retain muscle which burns calories. If you restriction calories too much you lose a higher % of muscle which can make it more difficult to continue to lose fat with the same # of calories. If you reduce your calories to about 20% below what your burning and you do strength training you'll lose fat and retain lean body mass. You'll look better, move better and overall be healthier.

Yep. Drink water, eat better, and do strength training. Think compound exercises like squat, deadlift, bench press, overhead press, etc. They build muscle and strength the best and are the most efficient if you're short on time. There are all kinds of programs out there. Starting Strength, Wendler 5/3/1, etc. Pick one to try and stick with it for six months to a year and you'll see results. 

• Like 1

Big fan of Starting Strength for beginning/getting back into it. It starts you out finding where you're at and doesn't do too much, too soon. You'll be sore at first, but embrace the DOMS. Get back in there. It also just focuses on the core muscle groups and builds foundational strength. 

Combine it with a calorie deficit and by opening day next year, you'll be svelte and ready to kick ***

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hi blues ! 

I started to take care of my body one year ago.  5 years with no sports, but some wine & cigarettes ^_^  While i was in search of clothes and realized that nothing fitted me, i started to think about it.....I starded a program (i know, dangerous...) on 6 weeks to loose at least 15lbs. No sugar, no fat, no fruits...proteins, vegetables, some little rice & pastas etc...AND a lot of SPORTS !!! Fitness, fitness fitness.......I lost 30 lbs in these 6 weeks. 

I decided to stop this diet (digestive problems) but to continue with sports. 4 sessions a week of fitness, i started to have a look on what i had to eat/not eat. 
Since then, i didn't take a pound. No more back aches, no more respiratory problems etc......And i can be PU for a 20-inning game without tiring !!!! 

Before:
http://1516893044-26195990-10155868691936380-70

After:
http://1516893844-26047499-10155868692076380-85

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...