MLB Situation

fallschum04
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2390 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

This had the potential of happening in last night's Indians-Tigers game and I was wondering what the rule at the MLB level would be. I looked in their rule book, but couldn't find anything specific.

Under MLB rules (obviously), batter gets "hit" by the pitch and is hurt on the pitch. They then send in a pinch runner to first base. However, after the substitution is made, the Tigers review the play and find it hit the bat that the batter had let go of first, then ricocheted into his arm. So the now pinch runner has to come to finish the at-bat instead of being on first base.

My question is: would there be any way, if the batter had not been injured on the play, that he would have been allowed to re-enter the game to finish his at-bat? I could imagine this situation if it's in the late innings of a close game and a team puts a pinch runner in for speed, then he has to come back to bat after the review.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, fallschum04 said:

This had the potential of happening in last night's Indians-Tigers game and I was wondering what the rule at the MLB level would be. I looked in their rule book, but couldn't find anything specific.

Under MLB rules (obviously), batter gets "hit" by the pitch and is hurt on the pitch. They then send in a pinch runner to first base. However, after the substitution is made, the Tigers review the play and find it hit the bat that the batter had let go of first, then ricocheted into his arm. So the now pinch runner has to come to finish the at-bat instead of being on first base.

My question is: would there be any way, if the batter had not been injured on the play, that he would have been allowed to re-enter the game to finish his at-bat? I could imagine this situation if it's in the late innings of a close game and a team puts a pinch runner in for speed, then he has to come back to bat after the review.

I would say no. The sub is in and the batter is out of the game. Might be uncharted territory for addition to the replay rules.

1 hour ago, Jimurray said:

I would say no. The sub is in and the batter is out of the game. Might be uncharted territory for addition to the replay rules.

don't think so

If a call is overturned on Replay Review, any decision made by a Manager after the play and influenced by the incorrect call shall be nullified. Such Manager shall be permitted to reaffirm or change his strategic decision based on the result of the play as determined by the Replay Official.

http://m.mlb.com/official_rules/replay_review

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/12/2017 at 4:34 PM, fallschum04 said:

Being a Detroit Metropolitan area resident, I was watching the game and have seen the play you're talking about.

Your question, "... if the batter had not been injured on the play, that he would have been allowed to re-enter the game to finish his at-bat?" 

If the batter had not been injured, and based on the original call of HBP, he would have been awarded first base as happened in this particular situation.  And, as a result of the review...reversing an HBP to a foul ball, he would have been called back to the plate to finish his AB.  There would be no need for a substitution if the batter wasn't injured.