Full brawl NYY vrs Detroit Tigers

Mudisfun
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2402 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Bottom of 6, 2 out and Cabrera up... NYY try and hit Miguel which results in F1 being ejected as well as Girardi...

Just as PU is issuing warnings to both teams for throwing at batters Cabrera and F2 get into it with Cabrera shoving and then throwing blows. All hell breaks through next.

Best baseball fight in a while.

Sure Gil will have this on his feed in a while. 

Sorry for this being a download file only... it is 180 megs.

20170824_123951.mp4

And in true RAT fashion, Girardi has blamed this all on the umpires.  Because grown athletes acting like pre-schoolers bear no responsibility for their actions.  :rolleyes:

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Mudisfun said:

Bottom of 6, 2 out and Cabrera up... NYY try and hit Miguel which results in F1 being ejected as well as Girardi...

Just as PU is issuing warnings to both teams for throwing at batters Cabrera and F2 get into it with Cabrera shoving and then throwing blows. All hell breaks through next.

Best baseball fight in a while.

Sure Gil will have this on his feed in a while. 

Sorry for this being a download file only... it is 180 megs.

20170824_123951.mp4

And later a Yankee pitcher hit a Tiger in the head with a 98 mph fastball.  Shoulders and below is where you should hit somebody.  Head is off limits. Hope he gets a big suspension and fine.  Not cool.

10 hours ago, umpstu said:

And later a Yankee pitcher hit a Tiger in the head with a 98 mph fastball.  Shoulders and below is where you should hit somebody.  Head is off limits. Hope he gets a big suspension and fine.  Not cool.

I doubt that was intentional, Betances has had control issues all year long

12 minutes ago, stkjock said:

I doubt that was intentional, Betances has had control issues all year long

agree ....... you can tell about how pissed he was when he was told he had to go .....  I understand the EJ had to happen, but it wasn't intentional

3 minutes ago, Thunderheads said:

agree ....... you can tell about how pissed he was when he was told he had to go .....  I understand the EJ had to happen, but it wasn't intentional

I  realize it's a near impossible situation to judge, then Robertson hits someone, one can read his reaction for yourself, he doesn't get tossed.

I know most here didn't car for Gerardi's comments and  his view is obviously colored, however, looking at it objectively, his comment on how parts of the issue were handled have some merit IMHO.  Throwing Kahlen out without prior warnings, yes I realize it's not required, certainly set a different tone than had they benches been warned after Sanchez was hit.  my $.02 as a non-partisan observer. 

1 minute ago, stkjock said:

I  realize it's a near impossible situation to judge, then Robertson hits someone, one can read his reaction for yourself, he doesn't get tossed.

I know most here didn't car for Gerardi's comments and  his view is obviously colored, however, looking at it objectively, his comment on how parts of the issue were handled have some merit IMHO.  Throwing Kahlen out without prior warnings, yes I realize it's not required, certainly set a different tone than had they benches been warned after Sanchez was hit.  my $.02 as a non-partisan observer. 

Understood on all accounts, however, ........Fulmer did NOT hit Sanchez intentionally.  So, I'm not 100% convinced that a warning was needed there!   NOW ....after throwing behind Cabrera....  No EJ there and full warnings.  However, that's not what did it .....Cabrera started this whole thing.   It's just a highlight of his entire piss-poor season!

Just now, Thunderheads said:

Understood on all accounts, however, ........Fulmer did NOT hit Sanchez intentionally.  So, I'm not 100% convinced that a warning was needed there!   NOW ....after throwing behind Cabrera....  No EJ there and full warnings.  However, that's not what did it .....Cabrera started this whole thing.   It's just a highlight of his entire piss-poor season!

agreed, I did not see the Fulmer pitch, I will go look, I'm judging from what I heard here in the NY media, obviously a Yankee bias there.

PS - appreciate the comments

2 minutes ago, Thunderheads said:

NY media says Fulmer hit Sanchez on purpose?!? :rolleyes: 

from the couple of reports I heard, that seemed to be the case.

Just found this vid that shows all the shenanigans - after watching, I'd tend to agree that Fulmer didn't hit him on purpose.

https://www.mlb.com/video/tensions-flare-in-detroit/c-1766582883

Just now, stkjock said:

from the couple of reports I heard, that seemed to be the case.

Just found this vid that shows all the shenanigans - after watching, I'd tend to agree that Fulmer didn't hit him on purpose.

https://www.mlb.com/video/tensions-flare-in-detroit/c-1766582883

No ...he's had an elbow nerve issue that affects his fingers ....watch his reaction after he throws the pitch,...he looks away as if to say "crap" ...then shakes his hand out.  Later in the post-game he said he had a terrible 'stinger' from his nerve ....

Just now, Thunderheads said:

No ...he's had an elbow nerve issue that affects his fingers ....watch his reaction after he throws the pitch,...he looks away as if to say "crap" ...then shakes his hand out.  Later in the post-game he said he had a terrible 'stinger' from his nerve ....

agreed, his reaction was more of a damn I just f'd up that one.  I'm also still disappointed that the Mets traded him away.

• Like 1

MLB tonight actually did a good piece on Fullmer's pitch hitting Sanchez. They showed the previous AB, where Sanchez homered. The 1st pitch was a cutting fastball that bore in on Sanchez for a ball. Reynolds showed the pitched started on the outside half of the plate, and had a huge tail and missed in. The AB he got plunked in, Fullmer throws that same tailing fastball but starts it in the middle of the plate with the same tail and it gets Sanchez.

Si Fullmer knew how much movement he had on that pitch. The question is, did he just miss his spot, or start the pitch a little in so it would tail into Sanchez.

I think he just missed his spot, but a warning should have been given there because we can read the situation better than intent. ...The guy's hit 4 HR's off you in 3 days.

43 minutes ago, Richvee said:

MLB tonight actually did a good piece on Fullmer's pitch hitting Sanchez. They showed the previous AB, where Sanchez homered. The 1st pitch was a cutting fastball that bore in on Sanchez for a ball. Reynolds showed the pitched started on the outside half of the plate, and had a huge tail and missed in. The AB he got plunked in, Fullmer throws that same tailing fastball but starts it in the middle of the plate with the same tail and it gets Sanchez.

Si Fullmer knew how much movement he had on that pitch. The question is, did he just miss his spot, or start the pitch a little in so it would tail into Sanchez.

I think he just missed his spot, but a warning should have been given there because we can read the situation better than intent. ...The guy's hit 4 HR's off you in 3 days.

He missed his spot, .....and had a nerve 'zinger' in his hand that you can clearly see his reaction to ....

I agree w/ your last statement 100%

4 hours ago, Richvee said:

then again, Pedro thought that it was on purpose. They showed that his foot was turned more towards sanchez that other pitches. I don't think the mechanics would change that much just depending on which side they wanted to throw.

I just watched the full video.

Fullmer was not intentional and I don't feel a warning was warranted after that. 

Kahnle pitching at Cabrera seemed absolutely intentional, EJ well warranted. I hope there is a suspension and fine. 

Girardi - he's usles any way you cut it easy EJ

Cabrera for fighting - Easy EJ - Fine and suspension should follow

Romine - While Cabrera started it, he was a willing participant - good EJ

Betances - I don't feel it was intentional, but the umpires hands are tied at that point after all that had happened, good EJ

Wilson - After all that happened I can't say it was not intentional and judging by his reaction gives me the feeling it was intentional, good EJ

MLB nip this in the bud if they wanted, they just need to institute a rule like HS or NCAA. 

25 minutes ago, Umpire in Chief said:

MLB nip this in the bud if they wanted, they just need to institute a rule like HS or NCAA. 

Not sure they "really" want to...MLB network spent most of the night covering it and talking about it. They seem to love it.  

Seems it's kind of like fighting in hockey where they only half-heartedly punish it.  Almost like it's something to drum up excitement during a long regular season.

I could really care less about pros throwing at each other, but the part that annoys me is when high school (or lower) teams start to think that every time someone gets beaned there's intent behind it because they see it on tv.  We have one coach in our area who likes to play that card and I just want to say you're watching too much sportscenter coach.  

• Like 1

On 8/26/2017 at 3:20 PM, zoops said:

the part that annoys me is when high school (or lower) teams start to think that every time someone gets beaned there's intent behind it because they see it on tv.

^^^^ Me too^^^

So many times at the HS and Rec level they want a warning or EJ when a kid is HBP thinking there must be intent. My argument most of the time is the kid doesn't have enough control and can't hit the strike zone consistently, but now you think he's gained enough control to throw at a batter? They also don't understand that as umpires we're looking for some sort of motivation to hit the batter, which at those levels also don't typically exist. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Umpire in Chief said:

^^^^ Me too^^^

So many times at the HS and Rec level they want a warning or EJ when a kid is HBP thinking there must be intent. My argument most of the time is the kid doesn't have enough control and can't hit the strike zone consistently, but now you think he's gained enough control to throw at a batter? They also don't understand that as umpires we're looking for some sort of motivation to hit the batter, which at those levels also don't typically exist. 

Now just a darn minute there country club.

You need to get off that golf course and go where the sayin is "we are going to whup you arse on the field and if not there we are going to whup your arse off the field. Either way you are in for a whupin. They know exactly what they are doing with some chin music and drillin, if you get on the fightin side of me.

On 8/26/2017 at 3:20 PM, zoops said:

Seems it's kind of like fighting in hockey where they only half-heartedly punish it.  Almost like it's something to drum up excitement during a long regular season.

Many moons ago hockey changed it's rules to suspend players 10(?) games, fine franchises several hundred thousand dollars, and suspend head coaches for bench clearing brawls. It stopped the nonsense immediately.

Baseball could stop the "fighting" and the silliness of bullpens coming to defend their teammates if it wanted to. My guess is that they don't want to and it will only change when one of it's young stars gets seriously hurt in a WWE style scrum.

10 hours ago, Kevin_K said:

Many moons ago hockey changed it's rules to suspend players 10(?) games, fine franchises several hundred thousand dollars, and suspend head coaches for bench clearing brawls. It stopped the nonsense immediately.

Baseball could stop the "fighting" and the silliness of bullpens coming to defend their teammates if it wanted to. My guess is that they don't want to and it will only change when one of it's young stars gets seriously hurt in a WWE style scrum.

Agree 100%. I'm in agreement with not letting benches empty, or letting position players get involved. Let 2 go at it one on one.  Here's the catch..Hockey officials step in and breakup the fights. Baseball scrums are more often than not broken up by teammates pulling people apart.  Do we really want to start breaking up fights??