Tough night for crew in angels-rangers game

Gfoley4
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2408 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Don't know if there will be clips, but tough night for Cederstrom's crew. There was a mile high popup in front of the mound in an infield fly situation where PU (Cederstrom) didn't indicate infield fly right away. U1 indicated infield fly at a reasonable time, but the third base umpire did not see it in time and banged R2 on a "force" which of course had to be corrected.

Then there was a play right around the third base cut-out on a high chopper where U3 called foul while PU pointed fair. They got together and ruled fair ball, B/R gets first. Good thing there weren't other runners to deal with. Obviously these aren't the biggest deals, but it wasn't a great look for the crew.

1 hour ago, stkjock said:

So with the infield fly the PU and U3 did not initially consider it as ordinary effort due to wind conditions? Or, they did not know it's trajectory and U1 had the best look once he picked it up? Once I saw where the fielders were gathering with a ball that high I would have put my arm up. 

On the fair/foul one, I'll avoid discussing the judgment aspect of the call, but how do you avoid the "double call?"  Seems like it is a tough spot on this type of play where the ball is touched right about at that front edge of the base where the PU's responsibility ends and the BU's begins. 

16 minutes ago, zoops said:

On the fair/foul one, I'll avoid discussing the judgment aspect of the call, but how do you avoid the "double call?"  Seems like it is a tough spot on this type of play where the ball is touched right about at that front edge of the base where the PU's responsibility ends and the BU's begins. 

PU has everything up to he front edge. I would say PU has this call all the way and that U3 has only calls that are obviously his. If there is a "gray area" it's PU's call. I'm not sure if that's the correct mechanic but that's how I would handle this situation. 

15 hours ago, zoops said:

The videos dont show a double call.. 

on a side note.. alot of crews Pregame this situation... and PU will take F/F up to the cutout.. it is a more defining point on the field, and the base umpire is closer and will be able to get a better look at the F/F

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Haid D' Salaami said:

The videos dont show a double call.. 

on a side note.. alot of crews Pregame this situation... and PU will take F/F up to the cutout.. it is a more defining point on the field, and the base umpire is closer and will be able to get a better look at the F/F

The videos don't show a double call but you can infer that there was one by F5s reaction to what must have been the PU signaling fair. You can even see Cederstrom mouthing "it's my call" to the manager. So they were not using the cutout. But if Cederstrom didn't signal anything but wanted to correct an incorrect foul call he could if U3 asked for help and he and Cederstrom agreed and no one reacted to the foul call. I think F5 conceded the infield single but I don't know if Chirino stopped running. F5 tried begging the issue pointing to U3 as why he didn't throw but it looks like he gave up before the call. Not much griping about what happened.

BTW, the bucket coming off slow was probably why there was no infield fly signal by Cederstrom.

So with the infield fly the PU and U3 did not initially consider it as ordinary effort due to wind conditions? Or, they did not know it's trajectory and U1 had the best look once he picked it up? Once I saw where the fielders were gathering with a ball that high I would have put my arm up. 

That fly ball is an IFF 100 times out of 100 in MLB. There really wasn't much to judge.

41 minutes ago, grayhawk said:

That fly ball is an IFF 100 times out of 100 in MLB. There really wasn't much to judge.

PU, U2 and U3 did not have it and R2 either read it as not catch-able or saw no signal from PU because R2 took a lead instead of staying on the base. R2 would have been a dead duck at 2B if it was caught. So did three out of four have no ordinary effort due to wind or what? 

9 hours ago, Jimurray said:

PU, U2 and U3 did not have it and R2 either read it as not catch-able or saw no signal from PU because R2 took a lead instead of staying on the base. R2 would have been a dead duck at 2B if it was caught. So did three out of four have no ordinary effort due to wind or what? 

3 out of 4 brain farted.  U1 with the crew saver.

• Like 1