MLB Ejection 139 - Chris Conroy (3; Joe Maddon)

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2434 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

1B Umpire Chris Conroy ejected Cubs Manager Joe Maddon (check swing dead ball strike call) in the bottom of the 9th inning of the Reds-Cubs game. With none out and two on (R1, R2), Cubs batter Ben Zobrist attempted to check his swing/bunt on a 0-1 fastball from Reds pitcher Wandy Peralta, resulting...

[[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]

View the full article

9 hours ago, Hkepuck said:

That's a good call. Clearly attempted to strike the ball. 1B dugout replay showed it best. 

while dodging to miss a pitch that hit him?  Yep, he offered alright! :rolleyes: 

And before anyone says it ... I'm not a Cubs 'fan' .......

That angle was the only one that looked like he came close, but I thought it moved forward only because he was trying to dodge the ball. I am a Cubs fan, but I'm pretty impartial about it. I thought the Zobrist K last week was a strike.

11 hours ago, Thunderheads said:

Game management 101

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

If a guy attempts to bunt the ball or swings at the ball, the correct thing to do is call it. You see an attempt, you see an attempt. I'd rather make the right call than the easy call.

Guess MLB umpires didn't take game management 101. 

On 8/19/2017 at 7:45 AM, hbk314 said:

lol. You're not trying to suggest that those two have any comparison whatsoever to the two that I posted, are you?

Oh, maybe we should evaluate the play at hand?

On 8/19/2017 at 9:27 AM, Thunderheads said:

Whatever.

Those videos are very different than the Zobrist HBP

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Exactly.