Zobrist - Computer Ump Would Have Called Strike 3, Too

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2431 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

After striking out to end a Cubs game, Ben Zobrist called for a computer strike zone. The problem? A robo-ump would have ruled the decisive pitch a strike, just as plate umpire Mark Wegner did. Zobrist & Maddon question Wegner as he leaves the field.The Play: With two out and two on with the...

[[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]

View the full article

8 hours ago, Gil said:

After striking out to end a Cubs game, Ben Zobrist called for a computer strike zone. The problem? A robo-ump would have ruled the decisive pitch a strike, just as plate umpire Mark Wegner did. Zobrist & Maddon question Wegner as he leaves the field.The Play: With two out and two on with the...

[[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]

View the full article

But where is the pitch fx for the Tiger game with Angel the other day to see tha at bat with Kinsler and to see for the whole game after Kinsler's monologue on USA today.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, dumbdumb said:

But where is the pitch fx for the Tiger game with Angel the other day to see tha at bat with Kinsler and to see for the whole game after Kinsler's monologue on USA today.

YES!!  I'm not so sure Kinsler is complaining about the at-bat that he was ejected but moreso the one prior.  Can't find it ...

Also .... whether that ball crossed through the strike zone or not ....   that's a ball 99.9999999999% of the time ..... even in high-school!

2 hours ago, Thunderheads said:

YES!!  I'm not so sure Kinsler is complaining about the at-bat that he was ejected but moreso the one prior.  Can't find it ...

Also .... whether that ball crossed through the strike zone or not ....   that's a ball 99.9999999999% of the time ..... even in high-school!

I have balled many breaking pitches that I suspected caught the bottom of the zone but was received near the dirt.  Generally, there are no complaints, but I am also not being evaluated by Pitch f/x either.  MLB umpires are using the catcher's mitt to call balls and strikes less and less.

3 minutes ago, grayhawk said:

I have balled many breaking pitches that I suspected caught the bottom of the zone but was received near the dirt.  Generally, there are no complaints, but I am also not being evaluated by Pitch f/x either.  MLB umpires are using the catcher's mitt to call balls and strikes less and less.

of course.

also, the MLB guys are FAR, FAR superior than we are, thus, .... they can delineate pitches in far more detail :nod:  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dumbdumb said:

Right here? http://www.closecallsports.com/2017/08/mlb-ejections-134-35-angel-hernandez-1.html

(px .478, pz 1.616 [sz_bot 1.535] - this is 0.97 inches above the bottom of the strike zone)

The computer's ball/strike data for the game has since been deleted from MLBAM's database. Don't think it's anything special for Kinsler/Hernandez though....px and pz data for the entire day across other games on the schedule also disappeared from the database.

40 minutes ago, Gil said:

Right here? http://www.closecallsports.com/2017/08/mlb-ejections-134-35-angel-hernandez-1.html

The computer's ball/strike data for the game has since been deleted from MLBAM's database. Don't think it's anything special for Kinsler/Hernandez though....px and pz data for the entire day across other games on the schedule also disappeared from the database.

I don't see the chart on that link

I explained a little here why we don't generally go with the Brooks graphic on CCS: http://www.closecallsports.com/2016/10/analyzing-strike-zone-analysis-not-so.html.

For the strike call to Kinsler we're referring to, it would look a little like this (ball was ~85% in the strike zone):

----------------
|                |
|                |
|                |
|                |
|                |
|                |
|                |
|    xxxx        |
 ---xxxxxx-------
     xxxx

• Like 1

The odd thing is, the PU the other day said he blew that call vs Zobrist. Zobrist does have a reputation - almost Votto-ish for knowing the zone really well. 

I thought the pitch was in the strike zone watching the game and looking at brooks. I thought it wasn't a strike based on how it was caught though - for the MLB.

But I lol'd at all the "robot umps" people, because that was a robot ump strike. Those guys just say that **** though every time a call goes against their team.

• Like 1

Boss says---not so fast with the computer/robo-ump

baseball needs the arguments

keep a few non-reviewable (new york) situations just so a manager with a horrible team has something to get tossed about 6-12 times when needed. Also good for 1-5 tosses for a guy running away with the title. check swings, balks, etc. or at least several that they can only huddle about on the field and then either manager can scream and get tossed when the call doesn't go their way.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2017/08/17/mlb-commissioner-rob-manfred-dont-expect-robot-umpires-anytime-soon/578381001/

Boss not in a hurry for technology per article above, but now another article from the boss that the ability to use it will be here sooner than later (relatively soon) and owners will get to vote on eliminating home plate umpire.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/20421613/mlb-commissioner-rob-manfred-says-computer-umpires-available-sooner-later