Softball vs Baseball

JDavis225
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2410 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

The following is observational, not official:

• The collision (at plate) play still exists in softball, unlike baseball where it pretty much has been outlawed.
  • There is a greater chance of working solo, and 3BLX is not a natural spot to be when working solo.
  • There is more burden placed on PU to get to the library and 3B because BU partner has their IP as B-outside or C-outside.

Many years ago, I went to the ASA National Umpires Academy. At the time, They didn't teach 3BLX, and were told to slide over to 3BLX only if the tag was to be well up the line, to grab the swipe tag.. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jjb said:

Many years ago, I went to the ASA National Umpires Academy. At the time, They didn't teach 3BLX, and were told to slide over to 3BLX only if the tag was to be well up the line, to grab the swipe tag.. 

I had the same experience. They also taught to move your head when watching the pitch as PU.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2017 at 3:41 PM, MadMax said:

The following is observational, not official:

• The collision (at plate) play still exists in softball, unlike baseball where it pretty much has been outlawed.
  • There is a greater chance of working solo, and 3BLX is not a natural spot to be when working solo.
  • There is more burden placed on PU to get to the library and 3B because BU partner has their IP as B-outside or C-outside.

There are collision rules in amateur levels of softball just like in baseball. (FED/NCAA) Softball umpires that work 3-man go 1BLX too. I don't know why they do it but they do. 

From what VERY little I know about softball mechanics, it can be summarized as: whatever they do in baseball, do the opposite... :)

I'm not convinced they're wrong about the move the head thing, though. No matter what, *something* is moving - either the head or the eyes. Is it better to have the head still and move the eyes, or to have a steady gaze with the eyes and move the head? I wouldn't be surprised if it's the latter, but doubt it's any worse.

On 8/21/2017 at 10:10 PM, scrounge said:

From what VERY little I know about softball mechanics, it can be summarized as: whatever they do in baseball, do the opposite... :)

I'm not convinced they're wrong about the move the head thing, though. No matter what, *something* is moving - either the head or the eyes. Is it better to have the head still and move the eyes, or to have a steady gaze with the eyes and move the head? I wouldn't be surprised if it's the latter, but doubt it's any worse.

During the drills, I didn't move my head, only my eyes.  The head instructor happened to be standing there and commented "that was a good job except you didn't move your head to follow the pitch."

Me: "I work baseball where we are taught not to move our head, only the eyes."

Instructor: "Really? I never heard of that before. It seems to work OK."

On 8/21/2017 at 8:10 PM, scrounge said:

Moving your head moves your perspective.  Not sure if that's better or worse.  Could be worse if you move your head the wrong way.  As the ball moves away from your head, your angle of view changes.  If you move your head with the ball you may keep the angle more consistent?  I know with bunting it's easier to bunt if you move the bat with your head to keep the angle consistent (ie. keep the bat in one position, and use your knees to drop raise your body, and bat, to meet the ball, keeping you head/eyes/bat at the same perspective) - rather than moving the bat away from your head/eyes, changing the angle of your view from the eyes to the bat to the ball.  

On the other side, swinging the bat you don't want to move your head at all.  Biggest flaw young players have is they take their step their head drops six inches, and then swing under the pitch.

Perhaps, with the higher likelihood of the ball moving upwards in softball, moving the head is more advantageous to see balls/strikes?

41 minutes ago, LMSANS said:

During the drills, I didn't move my head, only my eyes.  The head instructor happened to be standing there and commented "that was a good job except you didn't move your head to follow the pitch."

Me: "I work baseball where we are taught not to move our head, only the eyes."

Instructor: "Really? I never heard of that before. It seems to work OK."