Why is this out? Abandonment?

Guest Curious
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2438 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

12 answers to this question

15 minutes ago, maven said:

I do. F4 runs right at him with the ball. Your threshold for "tag attempt" might need revision.

MLBUM added interp #30 this year. ".........i.e. the fielder is moving to tag the runner, no physical tag attempt is required to call a runner out for leaving the basepath."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jimurray said:

MLBUM added interp #30 this year. ".........i.e. the fielder is moving to tag the runner, no physical tag attempt is required to call a runner out for leaving the basepath."

I think that's misleading. The fielder moving to tag the runner IS a physical tag attempt. He doesn't have to do anything more than that.

2 hours ago, maven said:

I think that's misleading. The fielder moving to tag the runner IS a physical tag attempt. He doesn't have to do anything more than that.

I'm guessing that someone at the professional level and @Guest Curious thought the rule wording, "to
avoid being tagged", required an outstretched arm. Was there a play in the previous year that migh have engendered the interp? Edited to answer my own question: Maybe this one?

https://www.mlb.com/video/harrison-shows-moves-in-rundown/c-1037988783

Guest NJ Coach

Not a surprise so many here slammed me for suggesting the HPU in our game was 'in the bag' for the other team when our catcher chased r3 to the dugout, who then juked and reached home and the ump allowed the run (among multiple other absurd calls)...Instead most of y'all told me to learn the baserunning rules rather that admit any umpire could be wrong or biased.

27 minutes ago, Guest NJ Coach said:

Not a surprise so many here slammed me for suggesting the HPU in our game was 'in the bag' for the other team when our catcher chased r3 to the dugout, who then juked and reached home and the ump allowed the run (among multiple other absurd calls)...Instead most of y'all told me to learn the baserunning rules rather that admit any umpire could be wrong or biased.

If you have a legitimate umpiring question, feel free to post it.

Arguing about cheating umpires is not appropriate for this site. There are plenty of other places on the internet where people will engage with your apparent desire to be right about how bad umpires are.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Guest NJ Coach said:

You didn't get slammed for the rule - you got slammed for saying the ump was in the bag.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Guest NJ Coach said:

Better idea; why not grab some gear and get behind the plate, and THEN yelp about the calls.

I had a veteran HS Coach decide to do get into Umpiring. He went through Umpire Training and I put him on a 10-year old Rec game. Afterward, he came off the field soaked in sweat, and told me "I had no -f------idea it was this hard". 

I promise you (because I watched), he blew  a bunch of calls himself.....(oh, and he's a great Umpire, now, and (admittedly) a much better Coach....)

• Like 2