Future MLB hires

Mlbumpirewatcher
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2399 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Who knows???? You are still in the hunt till you are out of the hunt even if you have been passed by others (Little, Hamari, Gibson, Wolcott and the famous class of 2009 with Hoberg, Morales and Torres), in your rookie MiLB class right out of the umpire school. In recent times it has never had to be the one with the most (seniority=time in the game or time of first selection to the call up list) or most call up games worked, that has to get selected to the next opening.

If there is an opening for next year, it will come from (no doubt about it-from the list below), based on Managements judgment. Remember no umpire gets to pick themselves. Others (Management) pick them and I am sure the Commissioner could always invoke the "in the best interests of baseball" clause if needed to prevent someone selected by those that report to the Commissioner.

alphabetically

Additon, Barber, Basner, Blakney, De Jesus, Fagan, Lentz, Libka, Livensparger, Mahrley, May, Ortiz, Scheurwater, Segal, Whitson, Woodring.

Most recently it looks like, a few candidates in the hunt have retired after not receiving a Spring Training Schedule after working an Arizona Fall League Assignment, or after receiving a Spring Training Assignment but not being put on the "call up" list and given a number. It looks like they took it upon themselves to get out of the hunt.

Once again, since it appears from many readings in print that all MLB umpires and umpire candidates are lacking in the skills (judgment) needed to be a MLBU, and those yet to try out at the umpire school that will be 100% better than what is already there. It should be a no-brainer to go to the umpire school, and be working a 123 MLBU schedule on opening day at the start of your 6th season in professional baseball, like Hoberg and Morales did. Both never even worked half a season of AAA ball (in 2013) (70 games), which works out to less than 20 AAA plate assignments before getting the call to MLBU call up status the next year (2014).

So go to the 2018 umpire schools and get started and be working AAA in 2022, and as a MLBU call up in 2023. Put that pitch fx box to shame, replay system to shame (for calls that may be reviewed and ones that cannot be reviewed even though they "the cannots" are also replayed on TV), and handling situations to shame. In situation handling, leave them laughing and smiling on their way back to the dugout with your words of wisdom in conflict resolution, and not having to eject anyone ever, unless they are, recorded, asking personally for the ejection and you oblige them.

• Like 2

A question about new hires should follow a question about who is expected to retire.  

I assume Dale Scott will officially hang it up due to his injuries, and if we are being honest here, Kerwin Daley should also probably retire to preserve his long term health.

Any others?

1 hour ago, conbo61 said:

A question about new hires should follow a question about who is expected to retire.  

I assume Dale Scott will officially hang it up due to his injuries, and if we are being honest here, Kerwin Daley should also probably retire to preserve his long term health.

Any others?

Gerry Davis, Dana DeMuth, Joe West, Gary Cederstrom, Tom Hallion, Phil Cuzzi, Larry Vanover. Those are the current umpires that are 60 or older that I could see retiring in the next couple of years, we could also see a few surprises.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/14/2017 at 7:37 AM, Umpire in Chief said:

We can also get thrown a surprise or two. I remember I was surprised when Rapuano or Tshida retired among others. Others retiring earlier than expected just wanting to spend time with family etc...

Feel like Joyce can join that list as well.