Seeds

BrianC14
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2388 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Not I said the fly...

They make me thirsty and the last thing I want it to be guzzling down water on the bases where more than likely I am not sweating it out... TIME! need to run out for a minute...

I see them a lot. Don't use them myself.

For me, sunflower seeds are exclusively the realm of driving late at night to keep the brain awake trying to figure out how to get that tiny little seed out of the shell.

• Like 1

Never could do the (sunflower) seeds thing, neither while playing nor umpiring. Nowadays, I'm watchin' 12-to-14-year old kids at bat, catapulting seeds across the plate between pitches. Heck, I've even seen catchers propel shells out their masks while between batters! Then, I've got BU partners wolfing down whole bags of seeds during a 7-inning game. I notice their hands move, thinking they're giving me some advanced signal, but instead it's them shoving a handful more of seeds in their mouth like loading a cordite bale into a cannon.

With some of these snoozers games, I can see why you'd want something to pass the time, to get your mind off the misery monotony of station-to-station walks. Occasionally, as BU, I'll rope me a bag of pistachios. Get crackin'.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, MadMax said:

Never could do the (sunflower) seeds thing, neither while playing nor umpiring. Nowadays, I'm watchin' 12-to-14-year old kids at bat, catapulting seeds across the plate between pitches. Heck, I've even seen catchers propel shells out their masks while between batters! Then, I've got BU partners wolfing down whole bags of seeds during a 7-inning game. I notice their hands move, thinking they're giving me some advanced signal, but instead it's them shoving a handful more of seeds in their mouth like loading a cordite bale into a cannon.

With some of these snoozers games, I can see why you'd want something to pass the time, to get your mind off the misery monotony of station-to-station walks. Occasionally, as BU, I'll rope me a bag of pistachios. Get crackin'.

Crazy-Laughing-Man-Funny-Gif-Image.gif

41 minutes ago, noumpere said:

There are a lot of field turf fields that don't allow it.  SO, get out of the habit.

Completely foreign concept here in Arizona. It's grass or bust.

... it's the "bust" that worries us.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MadMax said:

Worked a game this summer with a partner. Mid-4th, he shows me the empty seed bag and says "Game over, I'm out of seeds!" from his position between innings. 

8 hours ago, MadMax said:

Better not be your gum on the bottom of my plate shoe!!

6 hours ago, udbrky said:

I hate people that throw gum in public. 

Always in a trash can or down the sewer

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bluejersey said:

I worked with a guy drinking coffee on the bases once. He was also wearing gray carpenter pants.

I wore gray carpenters my first season and part of the way into my second. We don't talk about those years. 

The umpire pictured also walked off a playoff game because it started raining. In a rainforest. And "accidentally" shoved a catcher over for "being mouthy." And refused to back me up EVER while at the same time getting upset that I never talked to coaches for him. Umpiring here is more like babysitting grown men. <_<

On 7/31/2017 at 1:30 PM, KenBAZ said:

Apparently most of my partners have seeds when I'm on the plate. When we switch positions B and C are littered with shellsemoji2.png

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

I like it like that because then I don't have to figure out where to stand. :D

• Like 4

I show up to do 2 high school tournament games a few years back. Meet my partner who is going to do plate for the first one and all is good. We gear up head to the field and after the plate meeting he reaches into his under shirt and pulls out a ear bud, puts it in his ear where you cant tell it is in and says "play ball". Between innings he would tell me the score on the royals game he was listening to and I was thinking WTF? He did this in the field when we switched for the next game. He was one of the top 3 umpires I have ever worked with, his zone was great and he was so smooth with how he called the game. 

• Like 1

For me it's good old gum. I've tried seeds but I get too preoccupied with unshelling and spitting. The gum helps me concentrate. Maybes it's placebo at this point because I don't always chew gum but if I'm going to use something it's gum.

I go the gum route as well and have actually found it unintentionally useful in a couple of instances.

After an inning where there had been a bit of a "discussion" about a safe and out call, I took up my usual spot about 10 ft up the 1st base line and watched the warm up pitches proceed. (I had the plate)

Coach comes out of the 3rd base dugout and starts going on about that "play"  He's yaking at me from the 3rd base side and with my arms folded, I just look at him as he is going on and proceed to blow bubbles with my gum.  After about a minute, without a word from me, he stops and looks at me sort of quizzically and turns around and walks back to the dugout.

I'm hoping my bubble blowing gave him the message.  (go away, I don't care what you are saying.) :P

On 8/4/2017 at 9:20 AM, Kckumpire said:

I show up to do 2 high school tournament games a few years back. Meet my partner who is going to do plate for the first one and all is good. We gear up head to the field and after the plate meeting he reaches into his under shirt and pulls out a ear bud, puts it in his ear where you cant tell it is in and says "play ball". Between innings he would tell me the score on the royals game he was listening to and I was thinking WTF? He did this in the field when we switched for the next game. He was one of the top 3 umpires I have ever worked with, his zone was great and he was so smooth with how he called the game. 

Legend. I always FIGURED this was a thing. Now I'm gonna try it. 

This is highly interesting to me... Do we still have the ability to make polls?

On 8/4/2017 at 8:34 AM, stl_ump said:

I go the gum route as well and have actually found it unintentionally useful in a couple of instances.

After an inning where there had been a bit of a "discussion" about a safe and out call, I took up my usual spot about 10 ft up the 1st base line and watched the warm up pitches proceed. (I had the plate)

Coach comes out of the 3rd base dugout and starts going on about that "play"  He's yaking at me from the 3rd base side and with my arms folded, I just look at him as he is going on and proceed to blow bubbles with my gum.  After about a minute, without a word from me, he stops and looks at me sort of quizzically and turns around and walks back to the dugout.

I'm hoping my bubble blowing gave him the message.  (go away, I don't care what you are saying.) :P

"With all due respect sir, you're beginning to bore the hell out of me."

- Clint Eastwood as Gunny Tom Highway in "Heartbreak Ridge"

• Like 1

On 7/31/2017 at 2:30 PM, KenBAZ said:

Apparently most of my partners have seeds when I'm on the plate. When we switch positions B and C are littered with shellsemoji2.png

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

I don't do seeds. But even worse than what Ken wrote, I've been to fields where the grass is killed in the B & C position because if the salt from seeds. 

2 hours ago, Umpire in Chief said:

I don't do seeds. But even worse than what Ken wrote, I've been to fields where the grass is killed in the B & C position because if the salt from seeds. 

you think there's still that much salt on the shells of a used seed? I'd guess that the grass is worn out mostly because of umpires standing on there so often, not seed shells.

• Like 3