co-ed

bbman
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2436 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

NSA:

Had a situation at co-ed last nite.
Team playing with 9 players. Rule: When 10th comes up=automatic out.
Situation:
B9 (male) batting & walks, is 10th (female), automatically out? Or does the other rule apply, can't walk male to get female? Also, is the ruling different with no outs vs 2 outs?

Thanks in advance

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

Guest NJ Coach

do you mean that the required # of females in the lineup wasn't met (meaning, the #10 needed to be female)?   I would think playing shorthanded cannot be an used for advantage so the open 10th spot in the order would be an out.  Am not an ump and I doubt any rule set covers this but it seems obvious to me.

The NSA co-ed rule isn't exactly that you "can't walk a male batter to get to a female batter". Their rule is that if there are less than two outs and a male batter is walked (either intentionally or not), then the male goes to second base and the following female must bat. If there are two outs, then the female batter has the option of either batting or walking. So, yes, you can walk a male batter to get to a female batter. They just have a slightly larger penalty for doing it, but it can be done.

The rule that does apply is the one about not walking a batter ahead of the automatic out to get to the out. This applies regardless of if the batters are either male or female. If this happens with less than two outs, then you do enforce the automatic out. If there are two outs, the automatic out is skipped over and you proceed to the next batter without penalty. Again, this rule applies without regard to gender.