MLB Ejections 109-110 - Gerry Davis (1-2; Beltre, Banister)

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2454 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

2B Umpire Gerry Davis ejected Rangers 3B Adrian Beltre & Manager Jeff Banister (moving on-deck circle in defiance of order) in the bottom of the 8th inning of the Marlins-Rangers game. With two out and the bases loaded, Rangers batter Nomar Mazara stepped to the plate and Beltre became the...

[[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]

View the full article

According to Gil's diagram, Beltre gets pretty close to getting in the pitcher's view behind home plate... I know it's not NCAA but the diagram shows him in violation of their rule too (past 3BLX).

Beltre wasn't trying to get a laugh out of that. He was doing it to be a douche. Kids see this crap and think it's cool to be disrespectful to us.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, ALStripes17 said:

According to Gil's diagram, Beltre gets pretty close to getting in the pitcher's view behind home plate... I know it's not NCAA but the diagram shows him in violation of their rule too (past 3BLX).

Beltre wasn't trying to get a laugh out of that. He was doing it to be a douche. Kids see this crap and think it's cool to be disrespectful to us.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Sorry .... how do you know that?  Beltre is a KNOWN MLB JOKER ....and everyone knows that.

2 hours ago, Thunderheads said:

Sorry, ....  THAT'S ridiculous!!   I don't care how credited he is, and how good he is, etc, etc, etc ....   that's a perfect example of picking up the crappy end of the stick

I think it also looks pretty bad when you just bring it up for the first time in the 8th inning of a blowout. I would bet that Beltre was in the same spot the entire game. 

• Like 2

Not that I have to worry about having movable on-deck circles (heck, most of the fields I'm working on I'm lucky to even have an on-deck circle marked), but I have to think my reaction to this would be to laugh and then tell him to put it back and stay in it. Now if he refuses that...

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Gfoley4 said:

I think it also looks pretty bad when you just bring it up for the first time in the 8th inning of a blowout. I would bet that Beltre was in the same spot the entire game. 

Did the current pitcher complain? If so I think you would have to address it.

Beltre is always where he was standing last night. The local broadcast team even mentioned how far around he gets a week or two ago on a broadcast....just surprised that an umpire picked a time like the blowout last night to say something. I think he has been doing it for years.

Laugh it up now, funny man.  

It doesn't matter that it's a blowout or how far Beltre moves himself out of it.  If he's "always where he was standing last night", it's likely because other umpires ignored it and left the crappy end of the stick for some other umpire.   He was given his chance to comply.   Davis told him to get in the circle.   Beltre decides to put the circle where he wants it.   Bye bye.

Remember the NFHS rule some years' back about extending dugouts toward home plate?   How many of you ignored that rule, meaning that other umpires had to deal with it, along with the "but we've been doing this all season" Baloney Sandwich?    This is no different.   No, you don't have to be a redass about it, but when Fed decides to make it a POE (as they did years ago) then the rule should be applied from day one.   

I wonder how many umpires at Fed and NCAA also allow the first batter of the inning to sneak ever closer to home plate during warm up pitches?   Nip it in the bud.  Nip it.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BrianC14 said:

Laugh it up now, funny man.  

It doesn't matter that it's a blowout or how far Beltre moves himself out of it.  If he's "always where he was standing last night", it's likely because other umpires ignored it and left the crappy end of the stick for some other umpire.   He was given his chance to comply.   Davis told him to get in the circle.   Beltre decides to put the circle where he wants it.   Bye bye.

Remember the NFHS rule some years' back about extending dugouts toward home plate?   How many of you ignored that rule, meaning that other umpires had to deal with it, along with the "but we've been doing this all season" Baloney Sandwich?    This is no different.   No, you don't have to be a redass about it, but when Fed decides to make it a POE (as they did years ago) then the rule should be applied from day one.   

I wonder how many umpires at Fed and NCAA also allow the first batter of the inning to sneak ever closer to home plate during warm up pitches?   Nip it in the bud.  Nip it.  

"Some other umpire"?? This was game 3 of the series meaning the same crew had the prior 2 games AND Davis was on the plate Monday night. And Yes, he does always stand there along with most of the Rangers.

I agree with @kylehudson, laugh and tell him to move it back. 

• Like 1

First off, we shouldn't assume we know the whole story here. Umpires, teams, and players have long histories and long memories, and we can't always tell what's going on from what happens on any one occasion.

Next, I expect that this rule is akin to the rule requiring all fielders to start in fair territory (when we put the ball in play). We generally ignore it until one team complains, then we enforce it equally for both teams. I'd guess the issue was raised by the other team. We might wonder about that in this game situation, but once again: teams and players have long, long memories, and often there's more to this kind of thing than meets the eye.

I sure wouldn't pin blame on Davis.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, NorthTexasUmp said:

"Some other umpire"?? This was game 3 of the series meaning the same crew had the prior 2 games AND Davis was on the plate Monday night. And Yes, he does always stand there along with most of the Rangers.

I agree with @kylehudson, laugh and tell him to move it back. 

I was referring to the comment that stated "I think he's been doing this for years."   Davis instructed him to get in the on-deck circle.  Instead of complying, he moved the circle to where he'd been standing.   I don't see Beltre laughing or even smiling as he moves the circle.    And he sure wasn't after being dumped.

More to the point is that this is the sort of stuff that trickles down, and too many amateur umpires (such as the majority of umpires on this forum) won't 'pick that booger'.   I agree with @maven - we don't know the whole story here, and as this is the 3rd game of the set, I have little doubt that Davis had finally had enough of the shenanigans.   But if there's history, then Beltre surely knows about it, and this time he pushed it too far.   

I'm surprised by how many umpires (a/k/a posters) in this thread have thrown Davis under the bus on this one.  NONE of us have any idea what the context is in this situation.  To ASSUME that a 30-year MLB veteran, who has worked more MLB playoff games than any umpire in history and does not have a reputation as a "red ass" or "hot head", is suddenly going to become a "smitty" and enforce some obscure rule/policy without something else going on is a pretty poor assumption on these posters' part.

There are a lot of reasons that could have caused Mr. Davis to interject himself into this situation.  I'll suggest a few:  (1) it was a blowout.  Professional ballplayers tend to get ornery during a blowout.  A lot of brawls and "non-routine" situations happen during a blowout.  (i.e. see last night's Kansas City game.)  Maybe, just maybe, the other team was complaining to the point that Gerry felt he needed to address it to head of a non-routine situation.  (2) Maybe some type of memo from New York (MLB/umpire operations) was sent telling either him or maybe all umpires that this was becoming a "safety" issue and that it needed to be addressed should it occur.  

Those are just two possibilities.  There are more (see @maven's post.)  All of these are pure speculation on my part.  But, my point is that I think it is highly unfair that we (fellow umpires) immediately come to the conclusion (and post our conclusion on-line) that Davis was in the wrong without knowing anything about this situation beyond what was broadcast.

Is it possible that Davis suddenly and temporarily devolved into a Smitty or an OOO?  Sure, anything is possible.  But, to paraphrase from Sherlock Holmes, I wouldd have to eliminate every other possibility before I would conclude that Davis turned into a temporary Smitty and/or OOO...as that is so improbable and unlikely.  I certainly, as an umpire, would not post on a thread that Davis acted ridiculously or was wrong until I had, in fact, eliminated every other explanation.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, StrikeToWin said:

I thought I read somewhere that the Marlins pitcher complained that Beltre was in his line of sight while trying to pitch.  Another article or something.  I could be wrong.

You did read it: "Marlins pitcher Drew Steckenrider asked Beltre to get closer to the circle, which is how things were initiated. But umpire Gerry Davis was not feeling Beltre’s sense of humor in the situation."

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lawump said:

I'm surprised by how many umpires (a/k/a posters) in this thread have thrown Davis under the bus on this one.  NONE of us have any idea what the context is in this situation.  To ASSUME that a 30-year MLB veteran, who has worked more MLB playoff games than any umpire in history and does not have a reputation as a "red ass" or "hot head", is suddenly going to become a "smitty" and enforce some obscure rule/policy without something else going on is a pretty poor assumption on these posters' part.

There are a lot of reasons that could have caused Mr. Davis to interject himself into this situation.  I'll suggest a few:  (1) it was a blowout.  Professional ballplayers tend to get ornery during a blowout.  A lot of brawls and "non-routine" situations happen during a blowout.  (i.e. see last night's Kansas City game.)  Maybe, just maybe, the other team was complaining to the point that Gerry felt he needed to address it to head of a non-routine situation.  (2) Maybe some type of memo from New York (MLB/umpire operations) was sent telling either him or maybe all umpires that this was becoming a "safety" issue and that it needed to be addressed should it occur.  

Those are just two possibilities.  There are more (see @maven's post.)  All of these are pure speculation on my part.  But, my point is that I think it is highly unfair that we (fellow umpires) immediately come to the conclusion (and post our conclusion on-line) that Davis was in the wrong without knowing anything about this situation beyond what was broadcast.

Is it possible that Davis suddenly and temporarily devolved into a Smitty or an OOO?  Sure, anything is possible.  But, to paraphrase from Sherlock Holmes, I wouldd have to eliminate every other possibility before I would conclude that Davis turned into a temporary Smitty and/or OOO...as that is so improbable and unlikely.  I certainly, as an umpire, would not post on a thread that Davis acted ridiculously or was wrong until I had, in fact, eliminated every other explanation.

What he said.  ^^^

I don't know.....I saw this last night and laughed pretty hard. I just assumed it's similar to the coach's box,or as mentioned above, F3 with a foot in foul ground holding R1. Enforce it when the opposing team brings it up, then enforce it uniformly.

Beltre had to know he was gong to get tossed when he did it. I don't think he was showing Mr. Davis up. I don't think there was any malice or any history between Beltre and Davis. I think more than likely Mr. Davis said, you need to get in the on deck circle, and Beltre decided to move the circle.  Sorry if I'm ruffling any feathers, but I thought it was funny as hell.

8 minutes ago, Richvee said:

I don't know.....I saw this last night and laughed pretty hard. I just assumed it's similar to the coach's box,or as mentioned above, F3 with a foot in foul ground holding R1. Enforce it when the opposing team brings it up, then enforce it uniformly.

Beltre had to know he was gong to get tossed when he did it. I don't think he was showing Mr. Davis up. I don't think there was any malice or any history between Beltre and Davis. I think more than likely Mr. Davis said, you need to get in the on deck circle, and Beltre decided to move the circle.  Sorry if I'm ruffling any feathers, but I thought it was funny as hell.

I thought it was funny, too.   Maybe Beltre thought he was being funny as well (that appears to be his reputation).   But who's the one that's laughing last?   Not Beltre.

9 hours ago, lawump said:

I'm surprised by how many umpires (a/k/a posters) in this thread have thrown Davis under the bus on this one.  

Since a lot of people have liked what I've said, I would like to put this out there...

I'm not throwing Davis under the bus. I made it clear that I don't work that level of ball, and I never will. I was trying to say that I don't know what the situation is. I was just commenting what my reaction was based on a 30-second-ish clip. Please don't take my reaction as any disrespect for Mr. Davis or anybody else.

I met Gerry earlier this year at one of my HS association meetings. I spoke with him for maybe 10 mins tops but he's got a sense of humor from what he told me personally, and some stories he shared. (To what extent does his humor go? Idk) I thought it was kinda funny, but there's a clear difference in trying to be funny, and being a smart a**. Pitcher complained, Gerry did his job. 

not much different than when the base coach is out of the box and the opposing team complains he is stealing signals (remember Max Patkin here) and the umpire is "forced to pick the bugger. Now let's say the base coach pulls out a can of that soccer spray can paint and repaints the line when the umpire mentions to get back in the box. good night Irene for showing the umpire up. Just like "drawing the line" on a pitch that is disagreed with. Maybe the old dispute beteween Bowa and Montague is still in the MLB database for not getting back in the box and then dumped pretty early in the game.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, lawump said:

I have no issue with Davis enforcing the rule.  A pitcher complained, Davis did the right thing.  I just thought he was quick on the trigger with what I interpreted as an attempt to add some humor to an otherwise lousy night. Davis could very easily taken the approach of "We are are not continuing until you move that back."

As others have said, we will never know the full situation as we were not there.