Do you let these go?

beerguy55
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2460 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

My first thought was, I'm setting the over under at 1.5 to how many steps the batter takes before he gets tossed.   But in the second video it looks like Blue let it go.  Do you need a lot of context before running someone here, or is this pretty automatic for you?

I might get that second pitch. Most likely in the men's league game I'd have pulled my helmet off and chewed that hitter's a$$ all the way back to the dugout. If he stopped or argued with me he would have gone. The kid's out of the game one way or another. Most likely at that age a word with the coach regarding available subs and giving him the option to remove the kid. However, even I couldn't sell a strike on that pitch.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

One time, 16u game, batter takes strike one on outer edge of plate. Once I call it he decides to take up art.  I immediately eject him.  Coach says nothing, only complained mildly when I called an out because he had no subs (per tournament rules).  After game UIC for tournament organization stops by our changing area (it was in an old minor league park that had a tiny umpire room) and asks is how it went.  Tell him good but he will be getting a report from me later that evening, told him the story of our aspiring artist.  His exact quote "well, he should of drawn that line to the parking lot because that is where he is going every time."

One of my favorite stories I've read here on U-E was written by MidAmUmp.  A batter started to draw a line and MidAm informed him that he could stay in the game if he dragged that bat on the ground all the way to the dugout.  If the bat left the ground, he would be ejected.  Must have been the longest line drawn by a batter in baseball history. :)

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

I let one line go one time. Good third strike on the corner. Batter takes end of bat and draws a line that touches the side of the plate. 

Good one.  No reason to eject a kid for confirming that your strike call was correct. :)

On 7/21/2017 at 1:58 PM, beerguy55 said:

My first thought was, I'm setting the over under at 1.5 to how many steps the batter takes before he gets tossed.   But in the second video it looks like Blue let it go.  Do you need a lot of context before running someone here, or is this pretty automatic for you?

The context is "this person just did something really dumb, and needs a course correction."  And yes, it's automatic.

(And yes, the first one was certainly outside.  But at that age, you're getting what you get.  "They give you that metal thing for a reason, son.")