Anyone used the All Star FM4000 Mag?

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2381 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

You mean this mask?

I added the Mizuno throat guard and am in my 1st season with it - I give it very high marks for fit, comfort & protection.

However, I have not taken any extreme shots directly to the mask yet....uh-oh, sure jinx now ;-)

Jeff

allstar.jpg

P1010145.JPG

Sorry if my photos were too large - didn't know how to edit them for this forum.

other notes for your refernce - my previous mask (& current spare) was/is a 2001 West Vest w/2 tone pads....(now recoated by Tony at Maskit & with +POS zero-G pads).

Jeff

No, @JeBa, that's a standard FM4000. Good-lookin', but not the current belle of the ball. The standard one is hollow steel. The FM4000MAG is Magnesium alloy, and several of us are interested in just how light it truly feels.

The MAG is identified by having "fill-tabs" in the ear guards. Ya can't miss 'em.

24 minutes ago, MadMax said:

No, @JeBa, that's a standard FM4000. Good-lookin', but not the current belle of the ball. The standard one is hollow steel. The FM4000MAG is Magnesium alloy, and several of us are interested in just how light it truly feels.

The MAG is identified by having "fill-tabs" in the ear guards. Ya can't miss 'em.

You're telling me the FM4000 ISN'T titanium?!?! :wow::sarcasm:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Stk004 said:

You're telling me the FM4000 ISN'T titanium?!?! :wow::sarcasm:

Ha! According to one particular MLBU Health & Safety Staffperson (name withheld), it is, an should be avoided like the plague.

A Wilson Shock FX is whatcha need...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MadMax said:

YES ...the 'fill-tabs' are ugly also, and unfortunately, ... it can't be done 'evenly' ...it looks like a mistake, but it has to be that way .....

I must admit though ...the bigger pads and wider look is kind of sweet (watching Hunter W wearing it)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/17/2017 at 6:13 AM, Thunderheads said:

YES ...the 'fill-tabs' are ugly also, and unfortunately, ... it can't be done 'evenly' ...it looks like a mistake, but it has to be that way .....

I must admit though ...the bigger pads and wider look is kind of sweet (watching Hunter W wearing it)

I thought those were a defect when I first saw them. Then I realized they were on all the different pics I saw. I don't like this mask shape much, I tried the steel one years ago, but if I did those tabs would be a deal breaker for me.

Just now, WES2006AG said:

I thought those were a defect when I first saw them. Then I realized they were on all the different pics I saw. I don't like this mask shape much, I tried the steel one years ago, but if I did those tabs would be a deal breaker for me.

I think the weight, or lack thereof, might put the deal back on the table. I'm just guessing though, I've yet to hold one of these masks. 

1 minute ago, Stk004 said:

I think the weight, or lack thereof, might put the deal back on the table. I'm just guessing though, I've yet to hold one of these masks. 

the original is a feather!!!!!!!! :D first time I took it off, I threw it into the home teams dugout! LMAO!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Thunderheads said:

the original is a feather!!!!!!!! :D first time I took it off, I threw it into the home teams dugout! LMAO!

Were they complaining about your zone?   :BD:  And more important, did they give your mask back ? ;)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Thunderheads said:

when aren't they!!!! LOL! :D 

When they're complaining about a pulled foot ?    

Oh - that was rhetorical, wasn't it?    (But reminiscent of my games on Monday).   I had to hide a laugh when Coach Whiner decided to get strategic and ended up with zero runs after having the bases jammed with nobody out.  The ball never left the infield.  :o

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Did any of you guys see Hunter W. Get hit and go down yesterday? Boston - Cleveland, It was a missed warm-up pitch, really surprised it dropped him. He finished the half inning then was talked into calling it a night. 

3 hours ago, sri8527 said:

Did any of you guys see Hunter W. Get hit and go down yesterday? Boston - Cleveland, It was a missed warm-up pitch, really surprised it dropped him. He finished the half inning then was talked into calling it a night. 

He may not be endorsing that model after that. It'll be interesting to see what rig he comes back with.

We should learn from that incident. When you take a shot like that, it's really important for our partners to watch out for us, and get us off the field. Not to listen to us say, "I'm fine" as our judgment has just been quite clouded, and another shot could prove quite dangerous. We need to trust our partner's judgement on this, and not try to man-up for an inning or two, and risk serious injury. Those of us who've been concussed know it creeps up on you, and 5-10 minutes later you really start feeling it.

• 3 weeks later...