Replacing the foam in the Gold or Platinum

mbkcoach
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2460 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I'm actually making my own vest. I bought a memory foam mattress pad, some wicking sports material, and some wicking mesh. I'm going to re-engineer my padding altogether. If you can wait a few weeks, I'll tear apart the interior of one of the vests I'm cutting apart and will let you know what's possible.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Fittske24 said:

Send it to Douglas. They will create a custom pad for you. It will be half as thin as what Wilson makes. 

Whoa! Are you saying that Douglas will make a pad for a Wilson? That would be great!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, mbkcoach said:

Jeff told me they will only do douglas when I asked. I know footballshoulderpads.com will do them. But it's $200. 

For $50 more, I could get the "Kevlar" padding @MadMax's friend got done. :wave::spit:

Edited by BT_Blue
Forgot to put in who it was.

4 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

For $50 more, I could get the "Kevlar" padding @MadMax's got done. :wave::spit:

That wasn't me!!!! It was a colleague!!! You guys are soooo meeeeeannnn!

I'm taking my ball and going home.

;)

1 minute ago, MadMax said:

;)

Was supposed to say "MadMax's friend" but must have left it out. 

Fixed it.

Still funny

11 hours ago, MadMax said:

;)

*overly annoying but usually calm coach*: "Yeah go ahead blue, that's one more than you had to start with." 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, mbkcoach said:

These?

IMG_2217.PNG

Yes, I think they have a soft armour padding that's .5" as apposed to the .25 trauma pads so I can shape up to sew/glue together. Still need to look into it, but was also going to see if Unequal would be willing to retrofit my gold with some of their pads if the price is right.

@HCueds, it has more to do with the type and density of the foam than the thickness. Because Wilson refuses to adapt or upgrade the foam they use, it remains a very lofty open-cell, cheap, upholstery-grade foam — hence why I repeatedly call it sofa-cushion foam. It's not designed for any other purpose than to take a weighted load and distribute it – its loft, or volume or thickness, is what provides crush resistance. All the teeny-tiny pores inside create exponentially more surface area that build up resistance to the applied load. Those pores also retain heat and moisture!

Advanced foams, of which memory foam belongs, are formulated to have different crush resistance and recovery speeds in accordance to their desired thicknesses and applications. Most are remarkably dense (it's why TW padded masks weigh more than, say, All-Star LUC-padded masks, even though the masks are identical, but the LUC pads look larger). D3O, a type of TPU-EVA foam, is deftly employed by Schutt because it can have big ventilation channels cut into it without compromising it, while still being of a reasonable thickness and lightweight. So too, if I remember correctly, D3O is by nature hydrophobic, meaning that it sheds water. This is a benefit to helmets and shoulder pads for football, but got translated to the XV CP.

The +POS Cobra has gone an even more advanced route, and is using a hybrid / laminate "sandwich". The foam vest is comprised of five layers of differing foam types so as to maximize the benefits of each. Even as a laminate, it still is thinner than Wilson's sofa cushions!

On 7/13/2017 at 11:16 PM, Fittske24 said:

Send it to Douglas. They will create a custom pad for you. It will be half as thin as what Wilson makes. 

The RGP knows.

• Like 1

You guys are all making me really glad that I did not procrastinate on the Team Wendy deal for my Gold. Normally I would have but for some reason I didn't. Thank God cause the Wilson foam was hot and thick. If you can go with Kevlar. I feel nothing when hit and am low profile.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Mr Ump said:

You guys are all making me really glad that I did not procrastinate on the Team Wendy deal for my Gold. Normally I would have but for some reason I didn't. Thank God cause the Wilson foam was hot and thick. If you can go with Kevlar. I feel nothing when hit and am low profile.

Huh?  Team Wendy is not Kevlar.  It is Zorbium foam correct? 

On 7/17/2017 at 11:20 PM, acpar72 said:

Huh?  Team Wendy is not Kevlar.  It is Zorbium foam correct? 

Kevlar Lining in Force3 Mask Pads, Chest Protector, and Tights Pads.

Zorbium Foam (military grade) in Team Wendy Mask Pads.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JimKirk said:

Kevlar Lining in Force3 Mask Pads, Chest Protector, and Tights Pads.

Zorbium Foam (military grade) in Team Wendy Mask Pads.

@JimKirk after meeting with Wilson do you think there will be any plans in changing the foam or updating the two west vest models out currently?

On 7/20/2017 at 1:07 PM, mbkcoach said:

@JimKirk after meeting with Wilson do you think there will be any plans in changing the foam or updating the two west vest models out currently?

Good question. We will soon be meeting with their new person in charge of the team gear line that includes umpire gear. Our suggestions we will be emphasizing are harness improvement, a lower profile memory foam padding and longer chest protector options. These will most likely not happen for spring 2018 inventory but we are hopeful for fall 2019 for at least the first 2 suggestions.

Any other suggestions, do not hesitate and will pass them along.

• Like 4