U3K — Dropped bat rolls into ball.

VolUmp
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2451 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

U3K. Batter drops bat and runs. Bat rolls into ball. (I don't think fair or foul matters, but assume on foul ground).

A) Nothing? Play on?

B) INT? Dead Ball? Batter Out? Runners return?

Would like all 3 codes please:

OBR; NCAA; FED

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

After looking through OBR, I do not see this specific situation addressed.

Faced with the situation on the field, I would apply the rule language as it pertains to a batted or bunted ball.  Did the batter INTEND to interfere or was it incidental?  Did he simply drop (straight down) the bat or did he provide a direction?

A second criteria that is commonly applied is did the ball hit the bat (that's nothing) or did bat hit the ball (interference)?

Fire away...

Nothing.

As far as citing - as far as I know in OBR there is nothing to cite, meaning there is nothing specifically addressing the situation to declare a batter out.  Batted ball, sure there's a ruling.  Batter hindering catcher on u3k, sure.  But nothing about a bat touching a ball on u3k (or vice versa).

I'd treat it the same way as a throw coming from the outfield that hits the bat where it lays near the plate.  That is, the ball ended up there because of something the defense did, not the batter.

Anecdotally, I had a situation (many moons ago) under OBR where I k'd on a wicked curveball, and after my follow through I dropped the bat, after the ball deflected off the catcher it hit my bat, which was moving at the time, and the ball then went all the way to the backstop.  Ump declared it nothing - "SH*# happens".

3 hours ago, VolUmp said:

U3K. Batter drops bat and runs. Bat rolls into ball. (I don't think fair or foul matters, but assume on foul ground).

A) Nothing? Play on?

B) INT? Dead Ball? Batter Out? Runners return?

Would like all 3 codes please:

OBR; NCAA; FED

Play on.  If the defense doesn't like it, catch the pitch.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, conbo61 said:

I do not see this specific situation addressed.

Neither do I ... thus, my post. 

Did the batter INTEND to interfere or was it incidental

No intent.

Did he simply drop (straight down) the bat or did he provide a direction?

Dropped. No intent nor direction. 

did the ball hit the bat (that's nothing)

Yes ... clearly stated in OP